Underrated Albums

What are some great albums that get overlooked by an artists bigger mainstream hits.

I'll start with David Bowie. The albums, Lodger, Heathen, and Reality are all fantastic records that get overlooked by some of his bigger hits

• Like 4

Since i'm currently listening to Dio, I will say Dream Evil and Lock Up The Wolves. Dream Evil isn't as good as his first two solo albums, it's just slightly not as good as those two. But it's much better than Sacred Heart which came before it. The album never seems to get much mention at all. There are a number of classic Dio songs on it. The first half of Lock Up The Wolves is really good. The album loses a little momentum after the title track but the rest is still solid. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Not only is it an underrated album, but even with some major things going against them, Chris Squire, Steve Howe, Alan White, Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes created an album that I feel is brilliant ..

Classic, even

Yes_Drama.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 10

.. and rounding out my underrated trifecta, this happens to be my favorites Stones album

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0000/035/MI0000035018.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

• Like 5

About a year ago I was hipped to a group I had always wanted to check out but always dismissed as a Brit-pop curio from the 90's.

Super grass. Their debut album I Should Coco is a healthy blast of youthful punk-ish energy, Beatles-esque pop smarts and pathos but their 2nd album In It For the Money is a masterpiece. Also their 5th album Road To Rouen is an absolute stunner, its very Komische and tragic but incredible. Wish they were still making music like this but Gaz Coombes has two solo albums out. Worth checking out.

This track 'Late In The Day' from In It For the Money may be the greatest video every produced. Check em out.

Edited by Digital Dad
  • Like 2

Another album that I love, one that has never really been included in the talk of great ELO albums

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Ic7xkuMjL.jpg

ELO!! You nailed it, Lucas!

I *love them*!!

• Like 2

About a year ago I was hipped to a group I had always wanted to check out but always dismissed as a Brit-pop curio from the 90's.

Super grass. Their debut album I Should Coco is a healthy blast of youthful punk-ish energy, Beatles-esque pop smarts and pathos but their 2nd album In It For the Money is a masterpiece. Also their 5th album Road To Rouen is an absolute stunner, its very Komische and tragic but incredible. Wish they were still making music like this but Gaz Coombes has two solo albums out. Worth checking out.

This track 'Late In The Day' from In It For the Money may be the greatest video every produced. Check em out.

There was some really good music that came out of that 90s BritPop 120 Minutes scene

Different Class from Pulp is an incredible album ... I mention it here not because it is underrated, but just because

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrBE3VRc8mc

There was some really good music that came out of that 90s BritPop 120 Minutes scene

Different Class from Pulp is an incredible album ... I mention it here not because it is underrated, but just because

I didn't know about it before the post. I do appreciate it. Very good stuff. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrBE3VRc8mc

Fantastic songwriter, criminally underrated. Steven Spielburg missed out on this guys, though their artistic integrity is intact

• Like 1

Kansas_-_Monolith.jpg

After releasing the massive one-two punch of "Leftoverture" & "Point of Know Return", Kansas followed up the live album "Two for the Show" with this amazing little gem, "Monolith". Every song on this record is just fantastic which makes this album, in my opinion, just as good as any Kansas album.

• Like 3

Kansas_-_Monolith.jpg

After releasing the massive one-two punch of "Leftoverture" & "Point of Know Return", Kansas followed up the live album "Two for the Show" with this amazing little gem, "Monolith". Every song on this record is just fantastic which makes this album, in my opinion, just as good as any Kansas album.

In my opinion, his is great but the least essential Kansas album of the seventies. And the five albums that followed I think are about the same or even better.

Want underrated Kansas? This deserves a mention, but In The Spirit Of Things and Power are even more undervalued.

• Like 2

Aerosmith - Done with Mirrors - solid comeback album from the toxic twins, while still being toxic

Van Halen - Fair Warning - the slowest selling album of the DLR era but we all know better

Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd - Love Gilmour's work on these song

• Like 5

Aerosmith - Done with Mirrors - solid comeback album from the toxic twins, while still being toxic

A serious amount of drugs being consumed when this album came out.

(I think the guys in Aerosmith were using as well).

Seriously...this is a truly underrated album, great choice mate!

• Like 3

Now that I'm in the middle of a Cheap Trick marathon, I'd have to include Cheap Trick's "Rockford".

Easily of their very best!

Love this song found on the Japan release of Rockford. I have it on their B-sides and Demos album.

• Like 2