R40 Live: How Does It Compare?

Disk98

How does R40 Live stack up against Rush's other live albums from this millennium? Best? Worst? Or somewhere in between?

For me personally, it's strong…probably better than Time Machine and Clockwork Angels, and maybe even Snakes. But Rio is better and I'm undecided about R30.

I don't have an answer yet, I'm leaning toward Rio. Geddy's vocal performance will probably be my main judgement criteria.
  • Like 1

Do you mean performance or mixing?

Performance. I'm not an audiophile (after all, I love Vapor Trails! :P).

• Like 3

Do you mean performance or mixing?

Performance. I'm not an audiophile (after all, I love Vapor Trails! :P).

Then I say this:

R40

Rio

Time Machine Tour

R30

Snakes Tour

Clockwork Angels Tour

• Like 2

I think it would be interesting if someone did a track by track comparison of all those different versions of Sawyer..... Edited by grep
  • Like 1

I think it would be interesting if someone did a track by track comparison of all those different versions of Sawyer.....

I'll do it. :)

What am I listening for? How he sounds?

Edit: It just occurred to me you might want someone who really knows their stuff to do it.

Rio I'm listening to now. He still sounds like the old Geddy Lee. That crowd kept singing along with him and going wild. :wub:

Edited by Lorraine

R30 - Still sounds really really good. (I know a few here hate this song and are sick of it, but I still love it so much.)

Snakes - His voice is noticeably deeper compared to Rio. He still sounds good.

Time Machine - Deeper still. Still can belt it out. Not like Rio, but he still sounds pretty good.

CA - He doesn't sound so bad really. In fact, he sounds pretty good. Not the way he used to, but still pretty good.

R40 - I'm tempted to say he does the song better here than on CA.

Someone else do this and let me know what you think.

• Like 1

My opinion on the Tom Sawyer performances:

Rio - Sounds great. Still has a bit of shriek in his voice.

R30 - Sounds great again. Voice deeper than Rio but still solid.

Snakes - A lot deeper here, his voice sounds richer and fuller than R30 and Rio IMO.

Time Machine - Sounds like he's struggling a bit, can still belt it out pretty well but his voice cracks all over the place.

Clockwork Angels - Ugh. Sounds like he's in pain trying to sing it. Yodeling a bunch and it's painful to listen to.

R40 - Best vocal performance since Snakes. His voice still cracks, but he seems to have his voice more under control than the previous two DVDs.

Edited by DirkPrattLerxst
  • Like 4

To get a really good idea, you'd have to go back to the start and listen to TS from the MP tour on out. If I remember, I'll do it tomorrow.

In my opinion though, TS isn't a good song to get a handle on the voice. Freewill would be a better pick. Or even The Camera Eye or Force Ten.

Edited by Lorraine

I think it would be interesting if someone did a track by track comparison of all those different versions of Sawyer.....

I'll do it. :)

What am I listening for? How he sounds?

Edit: It just occurred to me you might want someone who really knows their stuff to do it.

Rio I'm listening to now. He still sounds like the old Geddy Lee. That crowd kept singing along with him and going wild. :wub:

This version of Tom Sawyer is the best performance Rush has ever done.

Rio

R30

R40

Snakes & Arrows

Time Machine Tour

Clockwork Angels.

Time Machine and Clockwork Angels were two amazing tours, that would rank at the top of some other bands careers. But I have to put them at the bottom of the list. RUSH is just that good live.

It's strange how a crowd can affect a performance.Rio,the crowd is bonkers and makes for an exciting spectacle despite the terrible mix,whereas in other shows there are awkward,'quiet'moments (R30,Snakes) .The band are playing well but maybe the songs aren't happening with the crowd.R40 is mostly great but one too many from CA and ,err,How It Is and Geddy's voice starts off bad but the magic starts happening not long after.
  • Like 1

Why is Time Machine so consistently placed towards the bottom? It was my first Rush concert so I have a lot of bias for it.