The Radiothread - TRF's Radiohead Thread

ReRushed

The only reason why "King of Limbs" is a below average Radiohead album is due to its brevity.

The album contains Bloom, Codex, and Give Up the Ghost. Three completely irreplaceable songs.

Make no mistake, if the entire album was of the quality of those tracks, King of Limbs would be the best Radiohead album without contest.

• Like 2

The only reason why "King of Limbs" is a below average Radiohead album is due to its brevity.

The album contains Bloom, Codex, and Give Up the Ghost. Three completely irreplaceable songs.

Make no mistake, if the entire album was of the quality of those tracks, King of Limbs would be the best Radiohead album without contest.

I came here to post about how I think The King of Limbs is underrated. But I was going use these songs as examples of its greatness: "Lotus Flower", "Little by Little" and "Separator".

It's a solid album that proves a run time under 40 minutes is a benefit and strength.

Pitchfork has posted an article about Radiohead websites At Ease, Green Plastic and Follow me around. It's an interesting read and it also mentions some old message board posts from Thom.

http://pitchfork.com...=social_twitter

I actually signed up on At Ease message board back in 2003 and logged in last week for the first time in about 2 years, I was surprised I remembered my password!

"At this point, there are teenagers Snapchatting selfies with their Radiohead concert tickets as their parents get wistful on Facebook about buyingOK Computer the first day it came out."

So many things remind that I'm "old". Us old farts with our dusty copies of OKC and all.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Just listened to Spectre for the first time today...honestly one of my favorite ever Radiohead songs. Something about Thom's tone of voice is incredibly earnest and emotional in a way like he usually isn't. Should've been the Bond theme, I agree.
  • Like 2

I came here to post about how I think The King of Limbs is underrated. But I was going use these songs as examples of its greatness: "Lotus Flower", "Little by Little" and "Separator".

It's a solid album that proves a run time under 40 minutes is a benefit and strength.

Lotus Flower and Separator are very strong tracks too. The only one I don't like is Morning Mr. Magpie.

SETLIST AMSTERDAM NIGHT 1:

1. Burn The Witch

2. Daydreaming

3. Decks Dark

4. Desert Island Disk

5. Ful Stop

6. Morning Mr Magpie

7. There There

8. The Daily Mail

9. My Iron Lung

10. Videotape

11. Identikit

12. The Numbers

13. The Gloaming

14. Lotus Flower

15. Everything in Its Right Place

16. Idioteque

17. Bodysnatchers

[Encore 1]

18. Bloom

19. Present Tense

20. Paranoid Android

21. Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief

22. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

[Encore 2]

23. You and Whose Army?

24. Reckoner

At Ease website got overloaded and crashed. There are already some videos on youtube from this show.

Edited by Leanne
  • Like 2

I do not agree at all. I like all three of those songs, but I can name dozens of Radiohead songs that are better. The King of Limbs is a good, solid album, no more, no less. Pretty much every other album they have done is better.

Just bought AMSP, listening to it now. Probs won't finish before I leave for graduation. Woo!

So I listened to AMSP on earbuds today while walking to and from the library. Excellent record, glad more of it turned out like Daydreaming than Burn The Witch (though oddly Burn The Witch is the one stuck in my head rn, so maybe that's why it was the lead single). Very natural and soothing, though there's certainly a melancholic mood throughout, it's not as sappy and draining as Coldplay so that's very good as well. I wasn't really looking at track names that much, but I think Desert Island Disk and Identikit were immediate standouts and I imagine there will be more to come. I might venture to say I like it better than In_Rainbows right off the bat, but where it stands among the my three tied-for-firsts (TB and the two obvious ones), we shall see.
  • Like 2

So tonight in Paris they played Creep and somebody on At Ease said they hadn't played it since 2009. Here's the setlist:

Burn the Witch

Daydreaming

Deck's Dark

Desert Island Disk

Ful Stop

Lotus Flower

National Anthem

My Iron Lung

No Surprises

Bloom

Identikit

The Numbers

Separator

The Gloaming

Everything in its right place

Idioteque

Bodysnatchers

Encore 1:

True Love Waits

Present Tense

Paranoid Android

Tinker Tailor

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

Encore 2:

Creep

Pyramid Song

Looks like they had 'Just' in place of 'Creep'

And a recording of this show is already on www.dimeadozen.org and I downloaded Amsterdam 2 show and it sounds really good. Tomorrow night they play Paris again.

Edited by Leanne
  • Like 1

So tonight in Paris they played Creep and somebody on At Ease said they hadn't played it since 2009. Here's the setlist:

Burn the Witch

Daydreaming

Deck's Dark

Desert Island Disk

Ful Stop

Lotus Flower

National Anthem

My Iron Lung

No Surprises

Bloom

Identikit

The Numbers

Separator

The Gloaming

Everything in its right place

Idioteque

Bodysnatchers

Encore 1:

True Love Waits

Present Tense

Paranoid Android

Tinker Tailor

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

Encore 2:

Creep

Pyramid Song

Looks like they had 'Just' in place of 'Creep'

And a recording of this show is already on www.dimeadozen.org and I downloaded Amsterdam 2 show and it sounds really good. Tomorrow night they play Paris again.

That is a fantastic set list.

• Like 1

I've always had certain RH songs on my iPod and I decided to add more and I have a new found appreciation for Sit Down, Stand Up, it starts out normal and then it goes bi-polar! (And most RH songs are like that).

I had it on shuffle yesterday and 'Just' came on, haven't heard that in forever!

• Like 2

a much needed :bump: for the best band to ever exist thus far my personal favorite band.

I like every song on A Moon Shaped Pool, but I still don't like what they did with the studio recording of Ful Stop. It doesn't happen often for the band, but I think they actually indeed screwed up with the final product here.

I prefer the song live how it sounded before the official studio release.

• Like 1

Identikit is fantastic both live now, on the studio album, and back during the 2012 performances. I really do like hearing Ed harmonizing alongside Thom on this version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkROR4itLKc

As a sidenote, I'm in such a habit of typing in "radiohead" anywhere and everywhere, that recently when I was just meaning to type in "radio", I had to stop myself and backspace, as i had typed "radiohea--" instead :P

• Like 3

a much needed :bump: for the best band to ever exist thus far my personal favorite band.

I like every song on A Moon Shaped Pool, but I still don't like what they did with the studio recording of Ful Stop. It doesn't happen often for the band, but I think they actually indeed screwed up with the final product here.

http://youtu.be/UiwiYBG1NA4

What exactly don't you like about the studio version?

The guitars

The guitars

I'll have to relisten to remember why the guitars might particularly annoy someone. I do remember that one being really strange on the first couple of listens. I wasn't sure I like it at first, but I ended up conceding it was just kind of creepy more than it was no-good.