R40 One Year Ago Today

DirkPrattLerxst

Not long before the Atlanta show, it was raining buckets! Then all at once, about an hour before the show, the clouds parted! Light streamed down in bright, unbroken beams! (maybe a little stretch there, but the rain did stop!)
  • Like 2

Am I the only one who has never seen Rush live?

Certainly not, and don't feel bad about that. There's even long time and older members here who unfortunately never got a show.

I tend not to complain that I "only got 4 shows" when some got zero.

Well I've only got 1 and that was in Buffalo last year

No, don't worry about it; there are others who haven't either. I had tickets last summer, which would have been my first time, but I ended up not being able to go. All of us had fun watching the different shows on people's Periscope feeds and commenting together here; that made it a really fun summer! :) :)

Edited by blueschica

Don't forget Cactus Pete. Boogieman provided us with a selfie he took right before he passed out during Xanadu. :laughing guy:

One positive I can think of is that no one actually threw up on camera, though I think Cactus Pete cam the closest. :LOL:

Knowing this was the last tour motivated me to drink less that day.

Not me. Thanks MR :D

Don't forget Cactus Pete. Boogieman provided us with a selfie he took right before he passed out during Xanadu. :laughing guy:

One positive I can think of is that no one actually threw up on camera, though I think Cactus Pete cam the closest. :LOL:

You're still young and spry...four drinks in I need a nap. :(

Clockwork Angels to start, Tyrion fake rapping, the feeling of knowing that the second set and encore would be all Moving Pictures and earlier, the drum kit implicating greater things to come (thanks TX), the double necks, the Cygnuses (Cygni?), the presentation, Garden Road.

And the friends with whom to share it, whether on Periscope, TRF, or, especially, in person.

It was one of the best nights of my life.

• Like 2

That's why they played a song from Counterparts.

Smart man. If you're gonna power nap that is when you do it.

Never seen them because they never came to Australia and i have never been out of the place.I have looked at my rowboat a few times but it seemed a long way to North America,might get tired.Dragged out R40, poured a beer,most likely their last hurrah on the big stage.
  • Like 1

Funny was reading Pearl Jam forum the other day (the unreal energy at their shows, closest to RATM that I've attended), nice pics of Ed n Ged, PJ fans knew Counterparts really well, spoke highly of it called it "pearljammy"

Funny was reading Pearl Jam forum the other day (the unreal energy at their shows, closest to RATM that I've attended), nice pics of Ed n Ged, PJ fans knew Counterparts really well, spoke highly of it called it "pearljammy"

Coincidentally, it was PJ's "Vs" that kept Counterparts from taking the top Billboard spot as they were released the same week.

• Like 1

Coincidentally, it was PJ's "Vs" that kept Counterparts from taking the top Billboard spot as they were released the same week.

Excellent point! I recall jammers making that point on their forum also.

No debate about Vs. That's an epic album!

• Like 1

I bought them both. I remember the day. I also remeber feelin lukewarm about both of them. It came at a time when I was moving onto other types of music, particuarly jazz and more progressive type music.

• Like 1

I bought them both. I remember the day. I also remeber feelin lukewarm about both of them. It came at a time when I was moving onto other types of music, particuarly jazz and more progressive type music.

Luckily, I didn't buy Vs...because after I heard all of it (a few days after its release) I was disappointed.

I was pretty satisfied with Counterparts though...especially after losing interest in Bones relatively quickly. Overall, Counterparts was better in every way IMHO. Probably more important was WHEN that album entered my life: I had just turned 21, I had been living alone for less than a year and fortunately had my own place, AND I was smack dab in the middle of uni. Great times...young enough not to care too much

I initially felt same was about Vs. I really liked ten alot, but for some reason thought vs was "OK" Recently, before the PJ show I discovered I never ripped my Vs CD, so I copied it over to my phone and holy smokes Vs rocks hard like 70s Rush!

Pearl Jam's output from that time is about billion times better than Counterparts.

I initially felt same was about Vs. I really liked ten alot, but for some reason thought vs was "OK" Recently, before the PJ show I discovered I never ripped my Vs CD, so I copied it over to my phone and holy smokes Vs rocks hard like 70s Rush!

I loved Ten and was a bit disappointed with Vs when it came out. But after about a year or two, I really started liking it, and it's probably my favorite PJ album now. Everyone was working well together and Eddie hadn't destroyed the band with his ego yet. It rocks harder when it rocks, it is more poignant when it's serious, and there's hardly a weak spot on the album.