Yes-Union/"Onion!" Twenty-Five Years Old Today!

Red Dwarf

I like Lift Me Up a lot ... shouldn't have been wasted on this album, but included on Talk. It's the only track I listen to with any regularity from Union, outside of Take the Water to the Mountain. Edited by Wil1972

Union sucked big time. I'm pretty sure that both Yes factions realized they were coming up with complete garbage musically and figured the only way to sell it was to put it all together. On the tour, I wonder if Trevor was jealous that Steve was getting all the groupies. Actually, I may have that backwards.

I like it, but I probably like Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe and Talk more.

Actually like Union more than either of those. Never thought anything special at all about Talk. Aside from Endless Dream there is nothing here that sounds remotely to me like Yes.

I think that Rick Wakeman's band timeline is the morse code representation of YYZ. Could it be? A definitive link between Yes and Rush?

Mind

Blown

• Like 1

I think that Rick Wakeman's band timeline is the morse code representation of YYZ. Could it be? A definitive link between Yes and Rush?

Wasn't that Rush meant when they sang, "The way out is the way in?" Ladies and gentlemen, Revolving Door Rick and His Amazing Moogs!

• Like 1

I like it, but I probably like Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe and Talk more.

Actually like Union more than either of those. Never thought anything special at all about Talk. Aside from Endless Dream there is nothing here that sounds remotely to me like Yes.

It all sounds like Yes to me. Except maybe Open Your Eyes which I eventually sold back .

For my money Talk may have been the best Trevor Rabin album But it's close. I wouldn't have much bad to say about 90125 or Big Generator either.

Union might have been killer if it were arranged properly. I think the record label people got involved way too much on it. I still like it though. It came across much better live though I think. (Although Steve Howe didn't seem very happy the show I saw him and Tony Kaye was doing his best Doc Severenson impressions.)

It all sounds like Yes to me. Except maybe Open Your Eyes which I eventually sold back .

For my money Talk may have been the best Trevor Rabin album But it's close. I wouldn't have much bad to say about 90125 or Big Generator either.

Union might have been killer if it were arranged properly. I think the record label people got involved way too much on it. I still like it though. It came across much better live though I think. (Although Steve Howe didn't seem very happy the show I saw him and Tony Kaye was doing his best Doc Severenson impressions.)

Ive tried to listen to Talk as a Trevor Rabin solo album but.... I didnt even like Trevor Rabins solo album. I have a couple of shows from that tour so that will probably be enough for me.

Back to Union tour on the video Howe looks like he's having a good enough time. He still looked like a guitar God back then. Now he looks like Gollum.

• Like 1

I have rarely listened to much Yes over the last few years/decades. And for sure do not know as much about the band as many of you people do.

I did see the 35th anniversary concert (partial) on TV the other day and it peaked my interest.

Then here comes another DirectV concert with Jon Davison on vocals.

I had my wife try to guess who was who and she was not able to do it. I'm certain I would lose the bet myself.

I have a renewed interest in Yes and plan to listen to as much as I can. Stand.

Problem is there is just to much material. I have 39 albums and 398 songs on Itunes.

Where would be a good place to start. I am not patient.

Horrible album. Amazing tour!!

Pretty much...it sounded like a piecemeal album full of over processed outtakes...one or two tunes were pretty cool. but most of it was a waste!

The tour was off the freaking charts though! I'm SO glad that I was able to go see it!

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 2

I saw them twice in Philly on that tour. Luckily they kept the Union songs to a minimum (or risk an all out riot). As much as I enjoyed the shows, I didn't see them as Yes anymore. I saw them as a bunch of guys who had that name slapped on them to make them viable marketing-wise. It didn't diminish my enjoyment of those shows at all.

Is anyone going to see them perform Drama and two sides of TFTO on their current tour? Again, it's not Yes, but it's at least a step up from an all out tribute band.

I have rarely listened to much Yes over the last few years/decades. And for sure do not know as much about the band as many of you people do.

I did see the 35th anniversary concert (partial) on TV the other day and it peaked my interest.

I had my wife try to guess who was who and she was not able to do it. I'm certain I would lose the bet myself.

Problem is there is just to much material. I have 39 albums and 398 songs on Itunes.

The Yes Album

Fragile

Close to the Edge

Going for the One

The Ladder

However a lack of patience may hinder your enjoyment of their longer tracks. But I think those albums will get you started.

• Like 2

The Yes Album

Fragile

Close to the Edge

Going for the One

The Ladder

However a lack of patience may hinder your enjoyment of their longer tracks. But I think those albums will get you started.

Thanks Wil. Seems we think much the same as I had picked similar.

I was a big fan in the 70's and saw them at the Miami Baseball stadium in 1974 I think. I also had a Yes fetish in the 90's with my daughters getting me the 90125 CD for one of my many birthdays. Lots of songs resonate with me as they bring me back to a place in time.

I truly grew up in the very best of times for music.

The two televised concerts I watched last weekend have renewed an interest in the band yet once again.

Thanks again Wil.

• Like 1

I saw them twice in Philly on that tour. Luckily they kept the Union songs to a minimum (or risk an all out riot). As much as I enjoyed the shows, I didn't see them as Yes anymore. I saw them as a bunch of guys who had that name slapped on them to make them viable marketing-wise. It didn't diminish my enjoyment of those shows at all.

Is anyone going to see them perform Drama and two sides of TFTO on their current tour? Again, it's not Yes, but it's at least a step up from an all out tribute band.

Well that's the thing..as they released more albums, they kept the newer stuff to a minimum for the most part...because people wanted the classic stuff!

The current two incarnations are just bad! Ok Steve Howe is amazing, and Geoff Downe's take on stuff was great on the last tour...but Alan White needs to hang it up! Sherwood is a good musician, but he's NOT Yes... I did get to see Chris Squire on the tour a few years back (with Benoit David and Adam Wakeman) and that was a decent show, but still not the Yes a lot of us were used to seeing!

The last one was just crap! (and the MAIN reason I went was because I wanted to see Toto, who opened) Jon Davidson is just a stoner that has a similar voice to Jon Anderson....but he's not him!

I enjoyed John's show with Jean Luc Ponty more than the Yes show! (and hope to be enjoying the ARW show later in the year!)

The thing with the Union shows was that the ABWH version of the band was kicking more butt than the 90125 version of the band, and in order for those guys to do anything, they needed Jon... but the album was just a horrid thing! They should re-do it the right way...

The Yes Album

Fragile

Close to the Edge

Going for the One

The Ladder

I was a big fan in the 70's and saw them at the Miami Baseball stadium in 1974 I think. I also had a Yes fetish in the 90's with my daughters getting me the 90125 CD for one of my many birthdays. Lots of songs resonate with me as they bring me back to a place in time.

The two televised concerts I watched last weekend have renewed an interest in the band yet once again.

Thanks again Wil.

Let us know how it goes rediscovering them. And then maybe after you listen to those you can throw on Relayer. (A personal fave of mine!) Happy listening!:)

• Like 1

The Yes Album

Fragile

Close to the Edge

Going for the One

The Ladder

Thanks again Wil.

Let us know how it goes rediscovering them. And then maybe after you listen to those you can throw on Relayer. (A personal fave of mine!) Happy listening! :)

I'm all over it Wil! I have been binging all day. I am filling my phone too! Thanks again!

• Like 1

Ive tried to listen to Talk as a Trevor Rabin solo album but.... I didnt even like Trevor Rabins solo album. I have a couple of shows from that tour so that will probably be enough for me.

Back to Union tour on the video Howe looks like he's having a good enough time. He still looked like a guitar God back then. Now he looks like Gollum.

That's kind of how he looked when I saw him on that tour. I haven't gotten the video yet. Maybe he was happy they were recording.

I have to admit I'm not that fond of Can't Look Away. I even dumped it before buying it again a while back. My favorite Rabin albums so far are 90124 and Jacaranda

. Edited by Segue Myles

. Edited by Segue Myles