Yes-Union/"Onion!" Twenty-Five Years Old Today!

Red Dwarf

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YES' UNION OR ONION ALBUM WHICH IS TWENTY-FIVE YEARS OLD TODAY!

WHATEVER YOUR OPINION OF THIS RECORD,IT'S ALWAYS MOVED MANY PEOPLE TO SOME PRETTY STIMULATING CONVERSATION ON ITS MERITS OR THE OPPOSITE!

ITS NO CLASSIC,BUT WAS IT REALLY THAT BAD?

RICK WAKEMAN HAS ALWAYS BEEN DISMISSIVE OF IT,BUT IS IT A TURKEY OF AN ALBUM OR ACTUALLY REALLY RATHER GOOD?

:smash: or :ebert:

• Like 1

I don't hate it.

Because I don't remember it.

That's the problem I have with Union!

So forgettable!

• Like 1

I think it's decent!

First Yes album I ever owned, actually. I was 18 when it was released.

I didn't become a Real Yes Fan ;) until a couple of years ago.

I appreciate the allcaps. It enhanced my enjoyment of this post. :LOL:

I've never listened to Union. I'll give it a spin tonight; why not?

I appreciate the allcaps. It enhanced my enjoyment of this post. :LOL:

I've never listened to Union. I'll give it a spin tonight; why not?

They've done worse.

You might like it!

I loved it when it came out. I hate it now that I know how it was made.

Its a Yes album because every principle Yes member aside from Pete Banks and Downes/Horn were involved yet were hardly in a studio together at any one time.

• Like 1

This one is the YES heavy metal classic!

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

You should come to mine and Mick's thread. We also like to discuss wimpy metal on a regular basis.

I like the album. I know I shouldn't but I do like it. Peter Banks had wanted to be part of the tour but Steve Howe, according to Banks, manipulated the situation to make sure he was not on it. Steve Howe also wasn't too thrilled with Trevor Rabin and said the guitars often clashed on stage.

Many of the songs were supposed to be part of a new ABWH album they'd been working on. Somebody convinced Yes East (ABWH) and Yes West (Squire, White, etc...) to come together for the album. Rick Wakeman hates it with an utter passion, much more than he ever did with Tales from Topopgraphic Oceans.

My fave songs include "Silent Talking", "Angkor Wat", "Take the Water to the Mountain". I can tell these were ABWH tunes because they have Anderson written all over them.

• Like 2

Usually I'm pretty good with a band's members' timeline but for some reason I can't figure out how to do that with Yes. I think a flowchart would help me, if there is one.
  • Like 1

Time it takes to create the Rush timeline: 4 seconds

Time it takes to create the Yes timeline: 4 days

• Like 5

I would have waited forever.. To hear someone talk about Union again.

That pun was rather like a shock to the system.

• Like 1

What a headache

It's always been the ONE THING I hated about Yes. There's very little consistency from album to album. There's brief identity between their debut and Relayer, and in the '80s for a couple albums when it seemed Rabin was steering the ship musically. All those between states, conicidentally (?), are my least favorite eras of Yes music (including whatever they call the music they're producing today).

"Union" is one of those 'tweener albums. I bought it when it was released, and probably haven't played it in 24 years. In contrast, I still have a copy of ABWH and listened to it as recently as last year. Edited by stoopid

It's always been the ONE THING I hated about Yes. There's very little consistency from album to album. There's brief identity between their debut and Relayer, and in the '80s for a couple albums when it seemed Rabin was steering the ship musically. All those between states, conicidentally (?), are my least favorite eras of Yes music.

I'd extend that from the debut to relayer to the debut to tormato instead. And even then I love Drama & 90125... But, in any case, I consider Yes's discography to be Yes - 90125, and then Magnification. The rest I don't care about aside from a few select songs.