New NPR interview with Alex about 2112

blueschica

NPR has put up a new interview with Alex about 2112. Not a lot of new information in it, but it's always interesting to me to read others' reactions to it at the time.

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2016/04/30/476268876/all-the-gifts-of-life-40-years-of-rushs-2112

• Like 6

That article is about as long as the actual album!! :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :haz:
  • Like 2

That article is about as long as the actual album!! :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :haz:

i got half way through it and wondered "is this one of Neil's website posts?"

Not really, the article was actually interesting

• Like 2

must be my short attention span for lots of words. SQUIRREL!
  • Like 2

ahhhhhhhh !!

nooooooo

another Lucas joke falls flat

I meant

It wasn't like one of Neil's blogs because - it was interesting !!!

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

I love the focus on inspiration. I'm not a fan of the synth era, but the songs are inspiring, as was the band's willingness to evolve.
  • Like 1

I love the focus on inspiration. I'm not a fan of the synth era, but the songs are inspiring, as was the band's willingness to evolve.

Yes, the fact of them inspiring so many others was cool; and I thought it was really interesting when the one person mentioned that their music has a certain vulnerability along with the technical innovation they bring. I had never thought about that but I think it's true, and part of what makes their music appealing to me.

• Like 1

Irritated by the suggestion that the debut had been strongly influenced by Cream rather than Led Zep. Suggests the author has never heard it.

• Like 1

ahhhhhhhh !!

nooooooo

another Lucas joke falls flat

I meant

It wasn't like one of Neil's blogs because - it was interesting !!!

ohhhh my bad dude. sometimes I need flowcharts to understand.

Irritated by the suggestion that the debut had been strongly influenced by Cream rather than Led Zep. Suggests the author has never heard it.

wouldn't be the first time.

'so how did you guys get started?' :facepalm:

I thought it was a little odd to bring up Cream and not Zep, but Cream was very clearly a strong influence musically, and the band has talked about the importance of Cream in shaping their sound and approach to music.

• Like 1

I thought it was a little odd to bring up Cream and not Zep, but Cream was very clearly a strong influence musically, and the band has talked about the importance of Cream in shaping their sound and approach to music.

Yes, I get that but there's little obvious Cream influence on the album whereas some tracks steal great chunks of Zep quite brazenly.