Introducing Others to Rush

The Analog Teen

I'm going to go ahead and apologize now because this topic has probably been done before.

Being a high school student, I know nobody else in person who has even heard of Rush (except when I've made them listen to me talk about them). I'm sure all of us would like more people to be Rush fans, so what albums or songs would you force (oops, I meant "want") a non-Rush fan to listen to first?

• Like 2

Depends on the person and their tastes. Usually can't go wrong with Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures. Then it becomes easier to get them into something like Hemispheres or Clockwork Angels or 2112.
  • Like 4

Funny, when I first discovered the band I was so excited that I was practically singing their praises from the rooftops..... and people didn't like that. People our age don't often care about music such as theirs, at least in my experience. It's taken me some two years to stop being teased daily about my absurd music obsessions and to convince people that I don't only listen to Rush. My advice is to only share their music when someone seems really receptive. Always get a feel for what their taste is first. If somebody loves trap or any of the "-core" subgenres of metal, you should probably stray away from divulging the boys' holiness to them. All that said, I think Moving Pictures is the one and only universal starting point. It sort of collects most of the things that make Rush who they are, and you won't be given a sideways glance for asking someone to listen to a 20 minute epic. Good luck, and hopefully you won't embarrass yourself as much as me.
  • Like 1

I sometimes introduce myself to RUSH. I just go to myself: "hey here's a band you're gonna LOVE!" And I go "Really??" And I go "Yeah!" And I go "...and it just so happens I have every album to just go and listen to any time..." And I go "hey that's lucky..." and off I go, getting myself into RUSH!
  • Like 5

Cygnus X1

Spinning, whirling,

Still descending

Like a spiral sea,

Unending

Sound and fury

Drowns my heart

Every nerve

Is torn apart ...

Is the last thing they should hear before you get their reaction

• Like 4

Or go another route. Smoke a good bowl then stream the comedy film I Love You Man. A few days later fire up a blunt and stream the ABC comedy The Goldberg's, you're looking for the episode titled RUSH. Then share MP3 files or whatever you kids do these days.
  • Like 3

I agree about how it depends on the person and also to sort of let them start the conversation; I have found that one of my co-workers, who loves music, has vastly different tastes than I do, despite our close proximity in age (early 40s); although we can agree on a lot, there are many bands that we do not agree on and the more musical and complex bands are the ones he seems confounded by. However, due to my constant listening of Rush while working, he has posed various questions to me about them. He knew Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio and Closer to the Heart from Classic Rock radio.

Slowly he has asked me more about them. He watched the CA Tour on tv one night - I think it was on Palladia or something? - and told me it was "actually really good". So now he asks me more and wants to know more about what songs he has heard are on what albums. He heard Freewill one day and asked me about that one. Since the most popular songs are on two albums (PeW and MP) those are the ones I am trying to get him into, but slowly - on his terms. I do not rave and act like Rush are the best thing going, I am going at it from his view point and letting him feel his way through and I never bring it up unless he does. It has been an interesting experiment, watching him come into work, telling me he read something interesting about the band that amongst us would be common knowledge, but to him, it is new. I think he is on the way to at least exploring them more deeply.

I do think he has limits though -- he hates instrumentals. So La Villa and YYZ are off the table, no matter how good I tell him they are. But one step at a time.

• Like 2

There is a young girl (about 15) who works at a local grocery store. She told me she started taking guitar lessons a year ago. I asked if you she liked Rush. "Never heard of them." So, I wrote down a few songs for her to listen on the Youtubes... a few weeks later she told me "they're fu**ing awesome!"

I gave her Tom Sawyer, Freewill, La Villa and The Camera Eye.

Lesson one, complete. I gave her an A+. Lesson two is next week. I'm now deciding which songs to show her. Xanadu is number one on the list thus far.

Suggestions???????????????

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush
  • Like 3

There is a young girl (about 15) who works at a local grocery store. She told me she started taking guitar lessons a year ago. I asked if you she liked Rush. "Never heard of them." So, I wrote down a few songs for her to listen on the Youtubes... a few weeks later she told me "they're fu**ing awesome!"

Lesson one, complete. I gave her an A+. Lesson two is next week. I'm now deciding which songs to show her. Xanadu is number one on the list thus far.

She DISCOVERED guitar lessons about a year ago? Well then, 2112.

• Like 1

In my experience over the years, people seem to decide whether or not they like Rush within the first 30 seconds of hearing Ged's voice. Not many people will seriously doubt their musicianship.

That said, Moving Pictures.

stream the comedy film I Love You Man

I absolutely despise the ammo this film gave people already prone to bagging on Rush fans. Probably in a tiny minority, but I find everything about it just stupid.

• Like 1

My suggestion would be to keep an eye out for this man:

http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/85/93763de6c10843fe93a75f8a1b3ae949/l.png

• Like 2

In my experience over the years, people seem to decide whether or not they like Rush within the first 30 seconds of hearing Ged's voice. Not many people will seriously doubt their musicianship.

That said, Moving Pictures.

stream the comedy film I Love You Man

I absolutely despise the ammo this film gave people already prone to bagging on Rush fans. Probably in a tiny minority, but I find everything about it just stupid.

Never saw it. Looked kind of dumb.

I've tried introducing people to the band over the years but it's never really worked very well. I don't know if it helps to be young, be into music in a big way (like a musician) or what.

I've said it before and I'll say it again start with Bytor and the Snowdog off All The Worlds A Stage. Prior to you pumping the volume to max (it's intended level), gracefully explain 3 guys, 1 guitar, 1 bass, 1 drum kit & an abundance of raw energy. Then play them the rest of everything else. Enjoy

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

:rush:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory

I've always thought that Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures is the way to go. There's a chance the person may know Spirit, Freewill and at least one of if not all of the first four songs on MP. That might make them more willing to give the band a chance if they hear a song(s) that are familiar to them.

I wonder with Rush being retired now if that will make it a harder sell to a potential new fan. The person may not want to take a chance on an old band who may not be doing anything anymore.

• Like 1

Beyond The Lighted Stage or a playlist / CD with a tracklist like this:

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

YYZ

Countdown

The Weapon

Subdivisions

The Analog Kid

Red Sector A

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Circumstances

The Big Money

Red Barchetta

That's the tracklist that got me hooked on the band (especially Countdown and Barchetta)

This won't help much, but I just don't bother introducing anyone to Rush music. It's just way too much of an acquired taste.

People all butt hurt over Rush fan portrayal in "I Love You, Man" need to lighten up. The truth hurts. :LOL:

• Like 3

I'd like to say that the only way you can experience the best of Rush is to listen to a little bit from each era and then see which one you gravitate towards. That's exactly what I did, and I gravitated towards the Synth era. For others it might be the prog era or the 90s hard rock or the metal era.
  • Like 1

I'd like to say that the only way you can experience the best of Rush is to listen to a little bit from each era and then see which one you gravitate towards. That's exactly what I did, and I gravitated towards the Synth era. For others it might be the prog era or the 90s hard rock or the metal era.

I know some people in the past have suggested buying Chronicles or the Retospective I and 2 and I don't think that's a bad idea. Start with the best of the best and work outwards.

• Like 3

I know some people in the past have suggested buying Chronicles or the Retospective I and 2 and I don't think that's a bad idea. Start with the best of the best and work outwards.

Chronicles was my first, along with Presto (that was their latest new release). So that is a good idea.

• Like 1