What instruments do you dislike?

toymaker

Pan pipes.

Definitely pan pipes.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ekp-vNBVyEs/Uii8JnHu0TI/AAAAAAAACoU/05o3l5ZirhQ/s400/svendborg04jpg.jpg

Sometimes I'll see people like this (I don't know what to call them, but Indians doesn't seem right in Denmark) play and it just makes me sad. It's like they're whoring out their cultural background for petty change. Maybe I'm being too harsh or it's the fact that I hate the sound of pan pipes. What's funny is that the more rural the people, the more they seem to enjoy it.

I can cope with pretty much any instrument except bagpipes.

Bagpipes can be incredible in the right setting.

I get quite emotional when I hear them sometimes.

• Like 2

not instruments so much as makers. Im not a big fan of korg. I just never have any luck with getting their gear to work right and their manuals are horrible. Arturia as well for the sole reason their support is about the worst I have come across.
  • Like 1

I can cope with pretty much any instrument except bagpipes.

Bagpipes can be incredible in the right setting.

I get quite emotional when I hear them sometimes.

Once when I was scuba diving in Monterey, at a popular beach location, I came out of the water to hear the sound of bagpipes from a piper onshore. It was a bit surreal, and pretty cool.

I don't really dislike any particular instruments, because they all have a place in some type of music. But I do dislike how and where some instruments are used.

For instance, I don't think violins or flutes belong in rock music as main instruments, but I do love Kansas, Jean Luc Ponty and some Jethro Tull.

I don't care for 5 string basses or 7 string guitars, but I suppose they have some usefulness in certain music.

Although the "saw" is not an instrument, some people seem to think it is. That needs to stop, now!

I don't like the Jackson I own too much. The floyd rose never stays in tune (I'm not going to replace it with anything else, though) and the neck is shallow, wide, and just doesn't feel right.

Definition of perfect pitch?

Tossing a banjo into a toilet without hitting the rim.

I think that is it for me... The banjo

^^^ Hang him from the Gallows Pole.

http://www.wifiblanes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/nin_con_theremin_moog.jpg

Toymaker, noooooooooooooooooooo !!

A theremin ?!?!?!

I love them

• Like 2

Toymaker, noooooooooooooooooooo !!

A theremin ?!?!?!

I love them

No theremin = no Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys !! :( :( :( The first clip has Brian Wilson talking a little about the theremin and shows a studio session of recording Good Vibrations with Hal Blaine (who Neil mentions as an influence) as drummer. The second one is the song; it shows Mike Love playing the theremin. The Beach Boys are so young here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgmjlpbYKBc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdt0SOqPJcg

• Like 2

I don't really dislike any particular instruments, because they all have a place in some type of music. But I do dislike how and where some instruments are used.

For instance, I don't think violins or flutes belong in rock music as main instruments, but I do love Kansas, Jean Luc Ponty and some Jethro Tull.

I don't care for 5 string basses or 7 string guitars, but I suppose they have some usefulness in certain music.

Although the "saw" is not an instrument, some people seem to think it is. That needs to stop, now!

I cannot speak for guitars, but the five string bass has a shitton of uses in all music. It gives you so much more versatility. But I have enough problems with the four I have, five is out of the question for a year or so

I should listen to more elevator music:
I saw Tony Levin's band Stick Men [they also play KC songs] live at Hi Fi bar in Sydney Australia. I got free tickets because my wife was good friends with the drummer's sister [RIP]. To be honest, the novelty of the Chapman Stick wore off very fast. The best sounds of the night came when the band played standard bass, drums and guitar.

http://www.wifiblanes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/nin_con_theremin_moog.jpg

Oh no way, man! A Therimin can sound awesome in the right places!

I cannot speak for guitars, but the five string bass has a shitton of uses in all music. It gives you so much more versatility. But I have enough problems with the four I have, five is out of the question for a year or so

Extra range is always good, as well as not having to constantly drop D tune between songs (or should I say, Between the Wheels??)

Harpsichords were a big device of the big studios of the 60's. They are hard to maintain and before the advent of synthesizers or even melotrons they were widely used. I love the Monkees but there are SO many tracks with harpsichords on them. For No One by the Beatles is an ok use of a harpsichord. But I agree they sound dated to baroque era to me.

Come to think of it clavinets are also quite annoying. Same deal as a harpsichord but more staccato. Stevie Wonder played electric versions.

TRAMPLED UNDER FOOT :haz: :haz:

That one is ok mixed with all those guitars.

i played the clarinet in 5th and 6th grade and i absolutely hated it. i hated the music teacher too.