What instruments do you dislike?

toymaker

Harpsichords were a big device of the big studios of the 60's. They are hard to maintain and before the advent of synthesizers or even melotrons they were widely used. I love the Monkees but there are SO many tracks with harpsichords on them. For No One by the Beatles is an ok use of a harpsichord. But I agree they sound dated to baroque era to me.

Come to think of it clavinets are also quite annoying. Same deal as a harpsichord but more staccato. Stevie Wonder played electric versions.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

This may not be a dislike per say, but I think the sound of an acoustic guitar is worse than that of an electric. Any time a song is played "unplugged" I physically feel my heart shattering into a million little pieces.

Oh, I think that's a pretty strong indication of dislike.

And also, may I add ----> :blink:

I'm also typically not impressed by the sound of the human voice, especially when it is sub par.

As stated by others earlier in the thread, anything can be a turn-off if it's not done well.

Saxophone, harmonica, Doors-style keyboards, cowbell. And there is a particular snare-hi hat drumbeat that I really dislike as well. Oh, and the tambourines can get lost, too.
  • Like 1

Bagpipes in their proper setting are magnificent, but can be horrendous when misused.

Can't say I really hate any instrument, but anything in the wrong place will sound bad.

Saxophone, harmonica, Doors-style keyboards, cowbell. And there is a particular snare-hi hat drumbeat that I really dislike as well. Oh, and the tambourines can get lost, too.

tamborine and cowbell. the instrument of choice for backup singers with no instrumental talent. Hear, beat on this. Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1

The kazoo. As well as anything played badly or in the wrong place. I can't imagine a kazoo sounding good anywhere, anytime to be honest.

You haven't lived until you've heard some hipster in a bar play 1930s country songs on a ukulele and kazoo. :sarcastic:

The kazoo. As well as anything played badly or in the wrong place. I can't imagine a kazoo sounding good anywhere, anytime to be honest.

You haven't lived until you've heard some hipster in a bar play 1930s country songs on a ukulele and kazoo. :sarcastic:

• Like 2

might as well be trying to play a duck call.
  • Like 1

Talkboxes (other than Frampton and Hair of the Dog by Nazareth)

Ukelele

Accordion and bagpipes (other than Dropkick Murphys)

Recorder (other than Anyone For Tennis by Cream)

Most banjo

Flute

Shrill whistles

Edited by Super25Smasher
  • Like 1

Shocked at all the saxophone hate. That's like the sexiest instrument ever!!!(followed closely by the fretless bass).

I especially can't get enough of Dick Parry's playing on Floyd songs like Money, Us and Them and Shine On...

And Gilmour's sax playing, himself, on Red Sky at Night sends shivers down my spine. So much feeling

• Like 2

There's some bitchin' tambourine on The Necromancer, though.

• Like 1

Ukelele

Most banjo

Flute

Shrill whistles

Agree with most of the list...but recorders? I played those as kid in an ensemble. Come on man...the opening of Stairway to Heaven has recorders.
  • Like 1

Ukelele

Most banjo

Flute

Shrill whistles

Agree with most of the list...but recorders? I played those as kid in an ensemble. Come on man...the opening of Stairway to Heaven has recorders.

So does Gentle Giant. Doesnt get much cooler rhan that.

Shocked at all the saxophone hate. That's like the sexiest instrument ever!!!

According to an old saxophone player I knew, Jimi Hendrix and the electric guitar all but killed the saxophone. The sax used to be the 'lead' instrument until Hendrix came along.

His story made me love Hendrix even more lol. I can't stand Saxophone.

Edited by thirteen

This may not be a dislike per say, but I think the sound of an acoustic guitar is worse than that of an electric. Any time a song is played "unplugged" I physically feel my heart shattering into a million little pieces.

Oh, I think that's a pretty strong indication of dislike.

And also, may I add ----> :blink:

I'm also typically not impressed by the sound of the human voice, especially when it is sub par.

As stated by others earlier in the thread, anything can be a turn-off if it's not done well.

Well, my distaste for "unplugged" versions of songs is only because I feel like it strongly diminishes the value of the original piece. I'm sure if you took something acoustic I like, such as Steve Howe's "Clap", and played it electric instead, I wouldn't like it either. But I can still say that if I had to pick between either instrument in their traditional settings, the axe would come out on top by a landslide.

And in regards to singing, I just find that it adds to a song much less often than it detracts. I'm a real picky bastard sometimes, but I rarely let a voice keep me from enjoying a good song. Same goes for a tinge of acoustics. :guitar:

might as well be trying to play a duck call.

What about Jimi Hendrix's "Crosstown Traffic"?

Awesome use of the kazoo there, song would be worse off without it.

• Like 1

The old school digital clapping drum sound. Hate it. Record scratching. Hate it. Those soft digital drums they use in soft pop now, for soul, with that little clicking sound mixed in. Hate it.

Most of all... Auto tuned voice, where the auto tune changes the pitch of the voice, not unlike a whammy bar. Hate it.

Any other non rock instrument? Cool, so long as it's used tastefully, i guess for my definition of tasteful. No banjo in metal as an example.

But damn.. The fiddle / violin in Kansas and Dixie Dregs material does sound fine, doesn't it?

Edited by grep
  • Like 2