True RUSH Fan: what makes a fan a true? BRAND NEW TOPIC never discussed, ARE YOU A REAL FAN, A TRUE FAN? What makes you think so???

JohnRogers

It's all about how much money you've spent on the band. Somewhere there's a thread that somebody started...

Here it is:

http://www.therushfo...t-on-this-band/

The true measure would be a ratio of money spent to income. Some folks travel all over the country and see multiple shows but also make a shit ton of money so it's not a problem. It's the knuckleheads who do that but don't make much money and run up credit card bills that are the real fans.

Ratio or not, I'd never judge fandom based on money.

When I was 10, I spent zero money on Rush despite an allowance and inventive ways to make money. I was already a massive fan by then though.

These days, despite having a regular job, I haven't spent any money on Rush in several months. Maybe years? I haven't bought any of the R40 stuff.

But anyone that knows me wouldn't say I'm less of a fan than say 20 years ago when I was in uni.

Money isn't a good way to judge this.

In addition to Rush, I am a big fan of Toymaker . .

And Toymaker knows how to be facetious with the best of 'em

Even better

Well, now, Lucas, I don't know.

How many times have you been to see Toymaker?

Do you own all of his albums?

Do you have any Toymaker t-shirts?

Do you own a Toymaker bobblehead?

How about a Toymaker bar stool?

If you can answer yes to all of these questions, we will be sending the men in white coats to your door.

I will happily sell you all of these things if you are interested . . .

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/superman/305-1.jpg

• Like 2

Seriously, I think everyone here could be considered a true fan

We come to this forum, have endless discussions on the different eras, producers, tours, what the songs mean to us, etc

The reason we don't like certain albums or eras is because we have bonded and connected with the music on previous or subsequent releases ......

Who other than true fans can debate whether Permanent Waves is a 70s or 80s album ? ( for like 500 pages )

If you're reading this, you're a true fan

• Like 6

We come to this forum, have endless discussions on the different eras, producers, tours, what the songs mean to us, etc

The reason we don't like certain albums or eras is because we have bonded and connected with the music on previous or subsequent releases ......

Who other than true fans can debate whether Permanent Waves is a 70s or 80s album ? ( for like 500 pages )

If you're reading this, you're a true fan. Unless you are also an ABBA fan.

I thought this post needed work.

• Like 1

See ??

Rush fans also have great senses of humor

• Like 2

See ??

That PeW is an 80's album is the 2112 of Rush opinions. ;)

• Like 2

I prefer ABBA to Rush so all is good.

• Like 1

What is the difference between a casual fan, a faux fan and a True RUSH Fan???

Easy answers dude but I appreciate the deep insightful question.

First you MUST have an appreciation, respect and enjoyment of 90% of the band's music/songs. That 90% must come from all three eras. The Golden BROON Era, The Synth Era and the Modern Era.

B: with exceptions for Millennials and EXTREME hardship you MUST have attended three live shows. PM me if you need to fill out the proper form for a Hardship Waiver. I'm warning y'all now getting married and have two crumb crunchers is NOT HARDSHIP.

3: YOU MUST LEGALLY own 90% of the band's music/songs. Format doesn't matter.

Have to disagree with #2. Never caught them live.

Own 100% of the band's major *legit* releases. (No boots, that is.)

Three tees in my closet help solidify my fanhood. :D

See ??

They do?

• Like 1

Bah!

• Like 1

True Rush fans get pissed when the video editor zooms in on the wrong band member - zooms in on Lee during a Peart fill or continues to show Alex while Lee is playing the 12-string melody at the end of Xanadu or shows Alex just holding his guitar during Lee's bass solo in La Villa.

Stupid video editors!!!

• Like 3

Bah!

:goodone:

See ??

They do?

Yes I do.

• Like 1

First you MUST have an appreciation, respect and enjoyment of 90% of the band's music/songs. That 90% must come from all three eras. The Golden BROON Era, The Synth Era and the Modern Era.

B: with exceptions for Millennials and EXTREME hardship you MUST have attended three live shows. PM me if you need to fill out the proper form for a Hardship Waiver. I'm warning y'all now getting married and have two crumb crunchers is NOT HARDSHIP.

No True Rush Fan loves the synth era. You can like it when you're in the mood to listen to Rush for an extended period of time, but after listening to anything after GUP, you must say to yourself, "you know, I didn't love that," or words to that effect.

And let me advise any True Rush Fan that you are under no obligation to ever acknowledge how you obtained any of the band's music. :fury:

• Like 3

No True Rush Fan loves the synth era. You can like it when you're in the mood to listen to Rush for an extended period of time, but after listening to anything after GUP, you must say to yourself, "you know, I didn't love that," or words to that effect.

And let me advise any True Rush Fan that you are under no obligation to ever acknowledge how you obtained any of the band's music. :fury:

Propaganda of the Fair Weather Fan.

• Like 1

Propaganda of the Fair Weather Fan.

Interesting. More commonly, a "fair weather fan" supports a sports team when they are good (I.e., when the product is good enough to deserve your support). So, one may infer that in your view, a "True Rush Fan," likes them even when they haven't been good.

Some might call me a discerning fan.

Edited by Rick N. Backer

Im one of those guys who think that aspects of the Synth era are as great as the best aspects if other eras.

And that Waves is an 80's album. Ive felt this way since 1985 and no feeble argument is going to sway me.

Therefore True Rush Fan

Edited by Digital Dad

Im one of those guys who think that aspects of the Synth era are as great as the best aspects if other eras.

And that Waves is an 80's album. Ive felt this way since 1985 and no feeble argument is going to sway me.

Therefore True Rush Fan

There's nothing from the true synth era (GUP - HYF) that is on par with the Hemispheres- MP era. I'd include Signals in the Hemispheres forward run, but Signals is obviously more synth than not.

A true Rush fan acknowledges that Ged is older and cannot possibly sing the way he did on Hemispheres anymore -- but loves him anyway for trying. Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 3

Therefore True Rush Fan

There's nothing from the true synth era (GUP - HYF) that is on par with the Hemispheres- MP era. I'd include Signals in the Hemispheres forward run, but Signals is obviously more synth than not.

...in your opinion.

What is the difference between a casual fan, a faux fan and a TrueRushFan™???

A casual fan likes the hits, a TRF loves at least one part of the band's catalog, and a faux fan pretends to do one of the two.

Or, more accurately, one likes music you think are sell outs, the other pretends to like music for whatever reason, and the last agrees with everything you do.

What is the difference between a casual fan, a faux fan and a TrueRushFan™???

A casual fan likes the hits, a TRF loves at least one part of the band's catalog, and a faux fan pretends to do one of the two.

Or, more accurately, one likes music you think are sell outs, the other pretends to like music for whatever reason, and the last agrees with everything you do.

That's about as clear as a black bucket filled with mud.