True RUSH Fan: what makes a fan a true? BRAND NEW TOPIC never discussed, ARE YOU A REAL FAN, A TRUE FAN? What makes you think so???

JohnRogers

I guess I'm a casual fan. They've been one of my favorite bands since 1980. I've seen them 5 times live, 3 times in the early 80s, twice since 2010. I own every album they've released, and I'd guess somewhere around 8-10 boots. When I was a garage band bassist Geddy was my biggest influence (I could once play all of LVS, now I might remember how to plug the thing in). But they sort of lost me with PoW, really lost me with HYF, and I don't think they released a truly solid album after GUP until S&A.

Nah I would call you a true fan. Anyone who like Snakes is a true Rush fan.

Anyone who likes Rush DESPITE Snakes is a true fan. ;)

Shaddapauface.

Think about it.

Or think about it in NFL terms:

The Raiders often suck. They've had their respectable years, good years, and great years BUT they just sometimes suck. That's undeniable. However, many of their fans stick with them year in year out.

I think of Snakes as one of Rush's 5-11 Raiderlike seasons. Yet I'm still there screaming my ass off for the Rush win every season!

[Note: I am not a Raiders fan]

Here's the flaw in your analogy: When the Raiders go 2-14, do the fans say that the team had a great year? Or do they say, "I'm a Raider fan, but they s*cked this year"? Here's another flaw: If a sports team was, at best, mediocre between 1985 and 2007, what do you think their attendance numbers would have been like as time went on?

I'm talking about hardcore Raiders fan like my brother. And the analogy works in his case. I'm a hardcore Rush fan and I say I love them but I disliked Bones and Snakes. I hate You Bet Your Life. I hate Neurotica. I hate Spindrift. I hate Bravest Face. Those songs suck. I still said Rush was great during those years. I still went to those concerts for those tours. I traveled from Asia to Toronto to attend two gigs on that Snakes tour...an album that I've already said I dislike. Oh, and "mediocre"...T4E was that, VT was that too. So, in my mind they had two albums that were mediocre in a row, then a playful though unimportant cover album, then a crappy album ('96-'07). Counterparts & Clockwork were good IMHO but that was a 19 year gap. That's a long time. But I was still there saying Rush was great all along despite not liking some albums. It's not perfect since it's sports and a rock band but I see the Raiders analogy as working.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

A true fan is objective, at least 50, and doesn't act like a 12 yr old Bieber fan. A true fan is not easily offended by contrarian views about the band and lastly a true fan can laugh at himself.

Most of TRF are not true fans.

Or herself. ;)

Tony believes women should only listen to music in the kitchen while cooking and that starving artists have no right to healthcare.

What's a kitchen? :LOL:

• Like 2

I guess I'm a casual fan. They've been one of my favorite bands since 1980. I've seen them 5 times live, 3 times in the early 80s, twice since 2010. I own every album they've released, and I'd guess somewhere around 8-10 boots. When I was a garage band bassist Geddy was my biggest influence (I could once play all of LVS, now I might remember how to plug the thing in). But they sort of lost me with PoW, really lost me with HYF, and I don't think they released a truly solid album after GUP until S&A.

Shaddapauface.

Think about it.

The Raiders often suck. They've had their respectable years, good years, and great years BUT they just sometimes suck. That's undeniable. However, many of their fans stick with them year in year out.

I think of Snakes as one of Rush's 5-11 Raiderlike seasons. Yet I'm still there screaming my ass off for the Rush win every season!

Here's the flaw in your analogy: When the Raiders go 2-14, do the fans say that the team had a great year? Or do they say, "I'm a Raider fan, but they s*cked this year"? Here's another flaw: If a sports team was, at best, mediocre between 1985 and 2007, what do you think their attendance numbers would have been like as time went on?

I'm talking about hardcore Raiders fan like my brother. And the analogy works in his case. I'm a hardcore Rush fan and I say I love them but I disliked Bones and Snakes. I hate You Bet Your Life. I hate Neurotica. I hate Spindrift. I hate Bravest Face. Those songs suck. I still said Rush was great during those years. I still went to those concerts for those tours. I traveled from Asia to Toronto to attend two gigs on that Snakes tour...an album that I've already said I dislike. Oh, and "mediocre"...T4E was that, VT was that too. So, in my mind they had two albums that were mediocre in a row, then a playful though unimportant cover album, then a crappy album ('96-'07). Counterparts & Clockwork were good IMHO but that was a 19 year gap. That's a long time. But I was still there saying Rush was great all along despite not liking some albums. It's not perfect since it's sports and a rock band but I see the Raiders analogy as working.

What about a band that catches lightning in a bottle? Do they become a great band overall because they were for a moment in time?

• Like 1

Shaddapauface.

Think about it.

What about a band that catches lightning in a bottle? Do they become a great band overall because they were for a moment in time?

I'm only talking about fans not bands.

Not completed related but this conversation reminds me...

Some numbskull a couple of years back said to me, "Rush?! That one-hit wonder band?! They suck." There's no way to convince (and no point to) that kind of guy that Rush is a great band.

A true fan is objective, at least 50, and doesn't act like a 12 yr old Bieber fan. A true fan is not easily offended by contrarian views about the band and lastly a true fan can laugh at himself.

http://www.draganvaragic.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/bait.jpg

• Like 1

Shaddapauface.

Think about it.

Some numbskull a couple of years back said to me, "Rush?! That one-hit wonder band?! They suck." There's no way to convince (and no point to) that kind of guy that Rush is a great band.

I guess my point is that Rush is a great band, but not everything they've released is great. Some of it isn't even really good, to my ears. In the same vein, there are some mediocre bands that managed to put out a great album. But that doesn't mean they become a great band overall. Staying with your analogy, just because you're a Raider fan doesn't mean you have to think every season was a good one, and it's OK to say, "they s*cked this year." It doesn't mean you're not a fan. And it's OK not to buy an album if you think it s*cks. There's a difference between a fan and a lemming.

• Like 1

^just posted that to see if the "U" would turn into an "*".

What's the deal Rick N. Backer? Haha!

http://www.naughtyknitterz.com/wp-content/uploads/5-women-in-colorful-socks.jpg

Ooooh...cozy!

Or herself. ;)

Tony believes women should only listen to music in the kitchen while cooking and that starving artists have no right to healthcare.

What's a kitchen? :LOL:

The hairline on the back of your neck where excess hair grows that you don't need or want.

Edited by Tony R

Or herself. ;)

True fans are male. :16ton:

I'm offended by this post.

Or herself. ;)

True fans are male. :16ton:

Oh sheesh. :LOLsign: :givebeer: :givebeer:

• Like 1

Ha I posted that before reading Tony R's reply

But in all seriousness, I've been a fan since the age of 10, 1975, not the debut year but close, and I love something from every decade, but truly for me the music speaks to me as much today as when I first heard them, I never tire of the variety that they have brought to my musical life, and their songs are the only thing that carry me along some days.

• Like 1

TrueRushFan™

But in all seriousness, I've been a fan since the age of 10, 1975, not the debut year but close, and I love something from every decade, but truly for me the music speaks to me as much today as when I first heard them, I never tire of the variety that they have brought to my musical life, and their songs are the only thing that carry me along some days.

You may be a TrueRushFan™. Unlike LABT who is faux fan.

• Like 1

TrueRushFan™

You may be a TrueRushFan™. Unlike LABT who is faux fan.

LABT a 'faux' fan?

'Faux' fans are pretentious- and they're all Francophones, too, as I've already established. ( ;) )

By neither criterion does he qualify as a faux fan.

• Like 1

Shaddapauface.

Think about it.

I guess my point is that Rush is a great band, but not everything they've released is great. Some of it isn't even really good, to my ears. In the same vein, there are some mediocre bands that managed to put out a great album. But that doesn't mean they become a great band overall. Staying with your analogy, just because you're a Raider fan doesn't mean you have to think every season was a good one, and it's OK to say, "they s*cked this year." It doesn't mean you're not a fan. And it's OK not to buy an album if you think it s*cks. There's a difference between a fan and a lemming.

I agree with all of that. And everything I've said so far is concisely stated in your post here.

I think the problem earlier in this conversation was that you were looking at a quantifiable sports team's record when I was simply looking at the fans perspective of their favorite team. You were thinking about a mediocre team and one that's easily seen as mediocre due to their record. The things I was talking about were simply fan perceptions and dedication. Anyway...

:)

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Shaddapauface.

Think about it.

that's a good idea for a topic for another thread - what's the difference between a fan and a fanatic.

How I envision Tony addressing TRF in nearly every post...

http://www.morethings.com/fan/all_in_the_family/arch_lectures_dingbat.jpg

;)

(((great show btw)))

• Like 1

;)

(((great show btw)))

Is Tony Edith, or Archie?

;)

(((great show btw)))

Tony is Meathead.

• Like 3

;)

(((great show btw)))

Archie of course.

;)

(((great show btw)))

Tony is Meathead.

No, but I'd be alright with you addressing him as such.