Anyone have any 8 tracks?

Dude111

I have these :)

1) Woodstock 69 - 2 cartridges (I also have the records (3) and VHS tapes (2) -- VHS tapes are the BEST as far as content goes (8 track and records have the best/loudest sound)))

2) Neil Diamond - Hot august night (LIVE - 1972)

3) Rush - Moving Pictures (I also have this record (Korean Pressing (1986)))

4) The Who - Whos next (I also have this record)

5) KTEL - Starflight (A collection of 16 1979 songs (2 are from 1978))

6) Yes - Fragile (I also have this record)

7) Frank Sinatra - "I've got the world on a string" (16 greatest hits)

8) GOLD SOUND - 16 hits from 1961

9) The greatest of Eddy Arnold (I also have the 2 records of this)

10) The Best of the band

I also have an 8 track cleaning tape......

I love my 8 tracks :)

Edited by Dude111
  • Like 1

I had a Panasonic 8 track player that I took apart so I could see how it worked. The head is on a spindle with a spring and when the loop point of the cassette crosses the play head (a small metal segment connecting the two ends of the tape) the head spins around the spindle and realigns on the tape to play the next stereo pair (4 stereo pairs for 8 tracks). I no longer have any cassettes though.
  • Like 1

Do you think they sound better than CDs?

Definetly sweeetie,they are pure analogue beauty :)

Now I have gotton some that DID NOT SOUND GOOD but I think that happens ON ANY PLATFORM... (They werent done well,etc)

Yeah, 8 track tapes have the least amount of track space compared to stereo cassettes (which are 4 track) and I believe a slower play speed. Not only that the metal strip that binds the two ends of the tape loop scrape against the play head and over time that takes a toll of the play head. None of that adds up to good sound. Reel to Reel, provided it's properly aligned, will give the best overall sonics of consumer level audio. Crappy analog doesn't really beat crappy digital.
  • Like 2

I no longer have any 8-tracks, but I was big into them back in the day. I even had an 8-track recording deck.

me too :D If I remember correctly it was made by Craig. Craig...the company, not some dude named Craig.
  • Like 1

I no longer have any 8-tracks, but I was big into them back in the day. I even had an 8-track recording deck.

me too :D If I remember correctly it was made by Craig. Craig...the company, not some dude named Craig.

Mine was a Sanyo. Felt like such a hotshot because everyone else had just a player.

• Like 1

Mine was a Sanyo. Felt like such a hotshot because everyone else had just a player.

Awesome, found my craig on ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craig-Model-3307-8-Track-Player-Recorder-Drive-works-no-sound-/262392252933?hash=item3d17cc0a05:g:hOIAAOSwEK9XAU5v

That was funny.

Never had an 8 track. My dad had a player and a bunch of tapes. When 8 tracks were popular, I went the cassette route. Glad I did! I still listen to my 1975 Teac 450 cassette deck quite a bit. It just sounds so good especially recording from well produced CDs'.
  • Like 2

Awesome, found my craig on ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craig-Model-3307-8-Track-Player-Recorder-Drive-works-no-sound-/262392252933?hash=item3d17cc0a05:g:hOIAAOSwEK9XAU5v

Craig Model 3307 8-Track Player/Recorder Drive works no sound

hmmm

This is the same model we had in the big family console back in the 70s

When I just saw this photo, I had a major flashback

I feel uptight on a Saturday night

Nine o' clock, the radio's the only light

I hear my song and it pulls me through

Comes on strong, tells me what I got to do

I got to

Get up

Everybody's gonna move their feet

Get down

Everybody's gonna leave their seat

http://www.dograt.com/WordPress/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/panasonic8-track.jpg

• Like 1

I've never owned an 8-track.

you missed the joy of having to switch tracks/channels in the middle of a song.

Exactly! How did anyone ever think this was a viable option for listening to music.

"Hey, I've got an idea for a new music format."

"What's that?"

"Songs recorded on a tape enclosed in a portable cartridge..."

"Yeah! Tell me more!"

"But instead of two sides like on vinyl it will have four sections of tape..."

"Um, go on."

"And if the songs don't happen to fit perfectly on the tape sections then we will just cut them off and have them continue on the next section."

" :wtf: "

• Like 2

I've never owned an 8-track.

you missed the joy of having to switch tracks/channels in the middle of a song.

Exactly! How did anyone ever think this was a viable option for listening to music.

"Hey, I've got an idea for a new music format."

"What's that?"

"Songs recorded on a tape enclosed in a portable cartridge..."

"Yeah! Tell me more!"

"But instead of two sides like on vinyl it will have four sections of tape..."

"Um, go on."

"And if the songs don't happen to fit perfectly on the tape sections then we will just cut them off and have them continue on the next section."

" :wtf: "

Here's all the history and techy stuff per wikipedia. It appears that each track was about 11.5 minutes. That sounds about right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-track_tape

• Like 1

Like many here, I used to have tons of 'em back in the day.

I recorded my vinyl since I had an 8 track recorder and played them on a portable stereo in my car. Rollin like a bowss in high school.

Do you think they sound better than CDs?

Definetly sweeetie,they are pure analogue beauty :)

Now I have gotton some that DID NOT SOUND GOOD but I think that happens ON ANY PLATFORM... (They werent done well,etc)

Sweetheart you need to get your ears checked! ;)