Just bought The Complete Albums box set on Amazon UK for just over the standard price for three new releases. And it's a nineteen disc collection!

Priest's set list illustrates another of my beefs with the "real fans." I'm sure lots of them think this is awesome. But if it's your first time seeing Priest, and they don't play You've Got Another Thing Comin' or Some Head Are Gonna Roll or Electric Eye or The Green Manalishi or Freewheel Burning? It's not OK.

01. Necromancer (live debut)

02. The Sentinel (performed for first time since May 26, 2012)

03. Heading Out To The Highway (performed for first time since May 26, 2012)

04. Spectre (live debut)

05. (Take These) Chains (live debut)

06. Judas Rising (performed for first time since May 26, 2012)

07. Out In The Cold (performed for first time since December 16, 1986)

08. Traitors Gate (live debut)

09. Starbreaker (performed for first time since May 26, 2012)

10. Steeler (performed for first time since October 17, 2010)

11. Halls Of Valhalla

12. Killing Machine

13. No Surrender

14. Victim Of Changes

15. All Guns Blazing (performed for first time since August 19, 1991)

16. Hell Bent For Leather

Encore:

17. Breaking The Law (with Glenn Tipton)

18. Living After Midnight (with Glenn Tipton)

http://www.blabbermo...r-opener-video/

Priest's set list illustrates another of my beefs with the "real fans." I'm sure lots of them think this is awesome. But if it's your first time seeing Priest, and they don't play You've Got Another Thing Comin' or Some Head Are Gonna Roll or Electric Eye or The Green Manalishi or Freewheel Burning? It's not OK.

04. Spectre (live debut)

11. Halls Of Valhalla

12. Killing Machine

13. No Surrender

14. Victim Of Changes

Encore:

Heads Are Gonna Roll and Freewheel Burning are hardly songs that have gotten played with massive regularity to begin with. Picking those two songs as something a fan seeing them for the first would want is just extremely odd. I agree about Electric Eye. Not sure why that one has been on and off on this tour.

I just see it as them doing the set in the same vein as how Maiden does theirs or Rush did them. They don't have to play every hit all the time but they play enough of them to balance the set out and then just do what they want with the rest of it.

Plus, there have been many times where the band has said they're doing their best to switch things up since this will be the third time they're going through North America on this album cycle. The changes might help them to perform better and not get too complacent.

• Like 1

04. Spectre (live debut)

11. Halls Of Valhalla

12. Killing Machine

13. No Surrender

14. Victim Of Changes

Encore:

Heads Are Gonna Roll and Freewheel Burning are hardly songs that have gotten played with massive regularity to begin with. Picking those two songs as something a fan seeing them for the first would want is just extremely odd. I agree about Electric Eye. Not sure why that one has been on and off on this tour.

I just see it as them doing the set in the same vein as how Maiden does theirs or Rush did them. They don't have to play every hit all the time but they play enough of them to balance the set out and then just do what they want with the rest of it.

Plus, there have been many times where the band has said they're doing their best to switch things up since this will be the third time they're going through North America on this album cycle. The changes might help them to perform better and not get too complacent.

'

Some Heads Are Gonna Roll and Freewheel Burning are both on virtually every compilation they've released. What they've played in the past doesn't really matter to someone who has never seen them before, which was my point. Someone who has seen them 5 times doesn't need to hear You've Got Another Thing Coming. But someone who wants to check out the band and doesn't claim that Nostradamus is their favorite Priest album might like to.

04. Spectre (live debut)

11. Halls Of Valhalla

12. Killing Machine

13. No Surrender

14. Victim Of Changes

Encore:

'

Some Heads Are Gonna Roll and Freewheel Burning are both on virtually every compilation they've released. What they've played in the past doesn't really matter to someone who has never seen them before, which was my point. Someone who has seen them 5 times doesn't need to hear You've Got Another Thing Coming. But someone who wants to check out the band and doesn't claim that Nostradamus is their favorite Priest album might like to.

If someone says Nostradamus is their favorite album they should be banned from entering the venue. I guess my issue is I just can't relate to being a casual fan. I don't go to see bands live if all I have ever owned is a best of/greatest hits compilation from them. Why would people waste money on tickets, especially with what they cost today, if they only have a small interest in the band? It just never made sense to me.

• Like 1

04. Spectre (live debut)

11. Halls Of Valhalla

12. Killing Machine

13. No Surrender

14. Victim Of Changes

Encore:

'

Some Heads and Freewheel Burning don't get played regularly.

04. Spectre (live debut)

11. Halls Of Valhalla

12. Killing Machine

13. No Surrender

14. Victim Of Changes

Encore:

'

If someone says Nostradamus is their favorite album they should be banned from entering the venue. I guess my issue is I just can't relate to being a casual fan. I don't go to see bands live if all I have ever owned is a best of/greatest hits compilation from them. Why would people waste money on tickets, especially with what they cost today, if they only have a small interest in the band? It just never made sense to me.

Well, two things. First off, it's not a "waste" of money if you have a good time. Secondly, for those of us of a certain age, there are a lot of historic bands that are winding down their careers. In 2003 I saw Springsteen. I would call myself a casual fan of his. I loved the show, and I think he's an iconic artist you should see if you get the chance. I would place U2, Metallica, Ozzy, and several others in that class of "see them while you still can," (Metallica doesn't appear to be slowing down, but they've got to be in their late 50s to early 60s at this point). Priest is an iconic metal band that probably isn't continuing for 10 more years. I saw them on the SFV tour. I own almost all their albums (not the Ripper ones), but I'm not unsympathetic to the person who doesn't who'd like to see the Metal God while he's still doing his thing.

• Like 1

To an extent, I agree with Rick that they may be venturing too far into obscure land with this set. I'll be seeing them for two nights consecutively in 3 weeks and I hope they'll change out a few songs by then. No offense to anyone who's a fan, but I can't stand Out In The Cold. Too lightweight and poppy. If you must play something from that album, at least choose more of a rocker like Reckless or Locked In. Hell, I'd rather even have Turbo Lover back in there instead.

I'm disappointed they dropped Sinner and Freewheel Burning because they've been nailing both of them on this tour. And I agree that no Priest set should ever NOT include Electric Eye. The best thing about this new set are the different tunes from Firepower. Necromancer is an odd choice for opener, but it works (and I love the new walk-on music). But dropping the title song Firepower? I don't get that either because I already consider it a classic.

But the bottom line is no matter what the set, not every fan goes home 100% satisfied. Priest has such a large and historic catalog, there are a million ways they could try to capsulate it into 18-20 songs. It's cool that they're not stuck into playing the exact same tunes all the time (like Sabbath in the end) and Rob especially is a trooper for attempting some of these at his age (Sentinel and All Guns Blazing, are you kidding me??).

I'll be interesting to see the final count of songs attempted on this tour when it's over. They've played 8 now from Firepower.

• Like 3

To an extent, I agree with Rick that they may be venturing too far into obscure land with this set. I'll be seeing them for two nights consecutively in 3 weeks and I hope they'll change out a few songs by then. No offense to anyone who's a fan, but I can't stand Out In The Cold. Too lightweight and poppy. If you must play something from that album, at least choose more of a rocker like Reckless or Locked In. Hell, I'd rather even have Turbo Lover back in there instead.

I'm disappointed they dropped Sinner and Freewheel Burning because they've been nailing both of them on this tour. And I agree that no Priest set should ever NOT include Electric Eye. The best thing about this new set are the different tunes from Firepower. Necromancer is an odd choice for opener, but it works (and I love the new walk-on music). But dropping the title song Firepower? I don't get that either because I already consider it a classic.

But the bottom line is no matter what the set, not every fan goes home 100% satisfied. Priest has such a large and historic catalog, there are a million ways they could try to capsulate it into 18-20 songs. It's cool that they're not stuck into playing the exact same tunes all the time (like Sabbath in the end) and Rob especially is a trooper for attempting some of these at his age (Sentinel and All Guns Blazing, are you kidding me??).

I'll be interesting to see the final count of songs attempted on this tour when it's over. They've played 8 now from Firepower.

No one expected 8 songs from Firepower! I'm pretty sure J2112YYZ told me in no uncertain terms last year, that we would see no more than four or five tracks from the album. And actually it's 9 if you count Guardians.

One thing's for sure we should see an amazing live album from this tour, one that will be essential, which is rare in this era of over-saturating the CD market with too many samey live albums. They could actually include 2 or 3 concerts or just include all the rare tracks as bonus songs. Either way between the quality of the band's performances on this tour and the wide-ranging variety of featured songs it could turn out to be the ultimate Priest live album.
  • Like 1

No one expected 8 songs from Firepower! I'm pretty sure J2112YYZ told me in no uncertain terms last year, that we would see no more than four or five tracks from the album. And actually it's 9 if you count Guardians.

Yes, I did say that before the tour started. I'm glad the band realized what they have with Firepower and proved me wrong. I hope they've been recording every song they've done so far on this tour. A multi disc ultimate live album from this tour with every song they did would be fantastic.

• Like 2

Here's the whole Hollywood, Florida concert:

Yes, just watched it! Superb quality from the front row.

Awesome to hear Traitors Gate, such a kickass song! Rob kinda struggled with it though, so wouldn't be surprised if it gets dropped.

Judas Rising, Steeler and Victim especially kicked ass! Was this the first ever performance of Victim without Ken OR Glenn? They played it last year, but I think it was part of an encore with Tipton.

Great to have Priest back out there!

• Like 1

Here's the whole Hollywood, Florida concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChZ3iHZgUIQ

Yes, just watched it! Superb quality from the front row.

Awesome to hear Traitors Gate, such a kickass song! Rob kinda struggled with it though, so wouldn't be surprised if it gets dropped.

Judas Rising, Steeler and Victim especially kicked ass! Was this the first ever performance of Victim without Ken OR Glenn? They played it last year, but I think it was part of an encore with Tipton.

Great to have Priest back out there!

Yeah those were all great versions. I thought the versions of Starbreaker, Spectre and Take These (Chains) were all great too.

Worst ever question from an interviewer?

Embarassing.

I love the new setlist, and YES, PLEASE to a live album of this tour with every song they played.

• Like 1

Worst ever question from an interviewer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma0mhq1z58g

Yeah, idiotic question. Ian's such a laid-back dude he takes it in stride, but he should've said something like 'hurling clueless interviewers always worked before'.

You can see Ian sighing to himself like WTF? as the guy talks about flying knives... :16ton: