The new Saxon is good too, but a good Saxon album is not in the same league as a good Priest album

:tsk: Not this time round my friend. The new Saxon is an epic beast. KILLER album! :hail:

I love that Motörhead homage song, especially the part when Lemmy speaks. Sends shivers down my spine.

ABSOLUTELY! THUNDERBOLT RULES!!!!! "FIREPOWER" is lacking some serious ammo.

Seriously?

Earl, both albums are loaded with some heavy epic shit. What is the problem with Firepower?

I need more time to listen. There are some EPIC songs on FIREPOWER! Some of the album leaves me flat.

THUNDERBOLT KICKS ASS FROM NOTE ONE TO THE END!

The album set the bar high for Priest!! I freakin' love it!

Take your time with Firepower and you'll see, the Priest is out there to get you... :haz:

• Like 1

The new Saxon is good too, but a good Saxon album is not in the same league as a good Priest album

:tsk: Not this time round my friend. The new Saxon is an epic beast. KILLER album! :hail:

I love that Motörhead homage song, especially the part when Lemmy speaks. Sends shivers down my spine.

ABSOLUTELY! THUNDERBOLT RULES!!!!! "FIREPOWER" is lacking some serious ammo.

Seriously?

Earl, both albums are loaded with some heavy epic shit. What is the problem with Firepower?

I need more time to listen. There are some EPIC songs on FIREPOWER! Some of the album leaves me flat.

THUNDERBOLT KICKS ASS FROM NOTE ONE TO THE END!

The album set the bar high for Priest!! I freakin' love it!

Take your time with Firepower and you'll see, the Priest is out there to get you... :haz:

Haha! Amen my Rock And Roll Metal Brother!!! I already fell in love with the first two tracks released from FIREPOWER.

METAL GODS UNITED WE STAND!

• Like 1

After a couple days to digest it, I'm giving Firepower a 7.5/10 for now. A few songs could've used a little more fleshing out and there are fewer standout guitar duels than on previous Priest records, but it's solidly good throughout.

For me, the real "meat" of the album is the 1-2-3 punch of Flame Thrower, Spectre and Traiter's Gate, with the latter being my current fav track (and reminiscent of one of Priest's all-time greats, Dissident Aggressor). If there's a lull, it's the last three songs with Sea Of Red being my least favorite. Lone Wolf had great potential, but that chorus is really weak.

Production is great with a mostly old-school sound. A tiny bit of brickwalling, but nowhere near as bad as CA and other recent offenders. The guitars are crystal clear, the drums have punch and Rob's voice is mixed perfectly in the middle of everything.

Speaking of Mr. Halford, I think he gives another brilliant performance on this record. Even though he can no longer consistently hit the operatic highs of Priest's glory days, he still has a powerful voice and the guy just knows how to deliver a vocal that'll give a song the edge it needs.

Overall, a job bloody well done and an album that would be impressive for a young band just starting out, let alone one in it's FIFTH decade!!!

Edited by TexMike
  • Like 3

After a couple days to digest it, I'm giving Firepower a 7.5/10 for now. A few songs could've used a little more fleshing out and there are fewer standout guitar duels than on previous Priest records, but it's solidly good throughout.

For me, the real "meat" of the album is the 1-2-3 punch of Flame Thrower, Spectre and Traiter's Gate, with the latter being my current fav track (and reminiscent of one of Priest's all-time greats, Dissident Aggressor). If there's a lull, it's the last three songs with Sea Of Red being my least favorite. Lone Wolf had great potential, but that chorus is really weak.

Production is great with a mostly old-school sound. A tiny bit of brickwalling, but nowhere near as bad as CA and other recent offenders. The guitars are crystal clear, the drums have punch and Rob's voice is mixed perfectly in the middle of everything.

Speaking of Mr. Halford, I think he gives another brilliant performance on this record. Even though he can no longer consistently hit the operatic highs of Priest's glory days, he still has a powerful voice and the guy just knows how to deliver a vocal that'll give a song the edge it needs.

Overall, a job bloody well done and an album that would be impressive for a young band just starting out, let alone one in it's FIFTH decade!!!

Your review is amazing. Alas I hope it grows on me more. 8.0 is my rating. So we are very close to the same page. My metal brain thought "FIREPOWER" was an instant 10 before the full release.

Oh well.

No one or nothing in life is truly perfect.

Well...

Signed,

HEMISPHERES

Earl never praises something without putting another thing down first.

He wants to boost Saxon so he attacks Judas Priest instead. He does it in every poll, even if it's clear he's a fan of the band he puts down.

Next.

• Like 1

He wants to boost Saxon so he attacks Judas Priest instead. He does it in every poll, even if it's clear he's a fan of the band he puts down.

Next.

Attack Priest? WTF? I gave the new record an 8.0

Are you in one of your moods again?

Attack someone else!

I've seen so much more than you! GROW UP! LEAVE ME ALONE!

Next.

Attack someone else!

It was hardly am attack...and to your credit I didn't get to the end of the thread when I posted.

And if it means anything I even put on the debut Saxon album as you got me in the mood for them.

• Like 1

Next.

Attack someone else!

It was hardly am attack...and to your credit I didn't get to the end of the thread when I posted.

And if it means anything I even put on the debut Saxon album as you got me in the mood for them.

No I know silly. I am not attacking Priest! I just thought that album was going to be a 10! I still need more time to listen.

Good! I prefer to be "In The Mood" too for some serious rock and roll! Cool.

No worries Myles.

The first SAXON is EPIC!

Love,

"The Frozen Rainbow"

Don't forget folks I'll be starting a new thread in a couple of years about Priest's next album which Glenn Tipton is already working on riffs for...

:sundog: :sundog: :sundog: :sundog: :sundog:

• Like 1

Don't forget folks I'll be starting a new thread in a couple of years about Priest's next album which Glenn Tipton is already working on riffs for...

Do you think, assuming Priest makes another album, that Glenn will still play on it, even if he can't tour?

Do you think, assuming Priest makes another album, that Glenn will still play on it, even if he can't tour?

Well he can literally spend months working on one solo if he needs to, so yeah.

I've got a feeling though that if Priest get inducted in the HoF next year or the year after, after the HoF jam with KK that Downing will be back in the band. Legally it'll be easy to get him back in because he's still officially a member of the band, just not in the band right now. They didn't buy him out like KISS bought out Ace Frehley and Peter Criss, so when they came back they were merely employees.

• Like 1

I've got a feeling though that if Priest get inducted in the HoF next year or the year after, after the HoF jam with KK that Downing will be back in the band. Legally it'll be easy to get him back in because he's still officially a member of the band, just not in the band right now. They didn't buy him out like KISS bought out Ace Frehley and Peter Criss, so when they came back they were merely employees.

I think Tipton will be involved in the writing process and he will indeed create riffs but I am sure his replacement player will do the rest. Tipton is done Pat.

I think Tipton will be involved in the writing process and he will indeed create riffs but I am sure his replacement player will do the rest. Tipton is done Pat.

Downing will be back for the next one, after an emotional reunion at the Priest RRHoF induction jam!

From the way it sounded when Tipton went public about his Parkinsons, he will still be able to write and record but won't be able to tour anymore.

Hope you are right!

The upside of this sad news is now they HAVE to make a couple more albums just to give Tipton a chance to play his new role in the band.

Martin is a cool cat but really? PAINKILLER?

No they didn't pick that, the fans did in a poll. It's not the top album it's just the first of a top 5. It wouldn't be in my top 5 though.

Right the fans voted that one in. I am with you. Not at all in my top 5.

I will agree though with many of my metal friends I've been chatting with. FIREPOWER is Priest's best release since PAINKILLER.