AC/DC is dead!

greyfriar

I'm in the camp that prefers the Brian Johnson led AC/DC. Personally, I think they wrote better more melodic songs with Johnson.

I can understand if Angus Young fired Brian Johnson because Johnson wanted to slow things down and perform less often. But I don't have to like it.

• Like 3

I don't think Axl can pull of the material without sounding too much like Axl. He's no Brian and he's no Bonn. At least Brian was able to do a very good job with Bonn's songs.Plus he's a voice we've heard for > 35 years. We know him as an integral part of the sound.

This sort of reminds me of Boston replacing Brad Delp with the guy Scholtz found on You Tube... kind of lame. To go further with it, same tour Michale Sweet from Stryper was there too. Who I have a lot of respect for, but he's no Brad Delp. So those performances and the vibe were kind of underwhelming.

What's Angus really supposed to do here? He needs a decent name to finish off the tour . 1/10th of his fans know who Airbourne is.... as much as that guy would have been a perfect fit - I think most fans would say "who's this guy"? No buzz.

But I think that's the problem, right there. No buzz. I suppose the ACDC machine isn't interested in working too hard to create a buzz with a young capable talent. They want to , I think, coast over the finish line with as little effort as po$$ible.

Edited by grep

The most troubling aspect about this whole situation, is that Johnson does not think his hearing is that bad and was shocked to be ditched so quickly.

If they must replace him, I would have gone with Angry Anderson of Rose Tattoo.

I'm sure he would be a much more suitable replacement than Rose.

Angry would've been a great choice. I never thought of him.

• Like 2

Axl is a selling point because he's Axl (like it or not) and because GNR is on the cusp of their reunion, so his name is all over the place right now. From a purely $$$ standpoint I get it, but I don't have to like it. I also don't think he's very good or a very good fit. He just shrieks out Bon's and Brian's lyrics. I think they're more interested in the press all of this generates than anything else.

I will say, Axl is going to have a hell of a payday this year, bouncing from lead singer in a sold out AC/DC tour to what might go down as the most fiscally lucrative reunion tour ever.

Doesn't have to share that AC/DC money with Slash and Duff either. :P

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 1

Doesn't AC/DC have a penchant for starting their concerts on time?

Yes, and they were generally entertaining as well.

I'll say this - I was on the fence for buying tickets for the ACDC tour. Now I'm glad I didn't. I wouldn't have been looking forward to seeing Axl if i had. Edited by grep

They replace a singer who can't hear with a singer who can't sing. Clever move. :hail:
  • Like 3

JOHNSON RELEASES STATEMENT:

As many AC/DC fans know, the remaining shows for the 2016 AC/DC 'Rock Or Bust' world tour, including 10 postponed U.S. shows, are being rescheduled with a guest singer. I want personally to explain the reason because I don't believe the earlier press releases sufficiently set out what I wanted to say to our fans or the way in which I thought it should be presented.

On March 7th, after a series of examinations by leading physicians in the field of hearing loss, I was advised that if I continue to perform at large venues, I risked total deafness. While I was horrified at the reality of the news that day, I had for a time become aware that my partial hearing loss was beginning to interfere with my performance on stage. I was having difficulty hearing the guitars on stage and because I was not able to hear the other musicians clearly, I feared the quality of my performance could be compromised. In all honesty, this was something I could not in good conscience allow. Our fans deserve my performance to be at the highest level, and if for any reason I can't deliver that level of performance, I will not disappoint our fans or embarrass the other members of AC/DC. I am not a quitter and I like to finish what I start. Nevertheless, the doctors made it clear to me and my bandmates that I had no choice but to stop performing on stage for the remaining shows and possibly beyond. That was the darkest day of my professional life.

Since that day, I have had several consultations with my doctors and it appears that, for the near future, I will be unable to perform on stage at arena- and stadium-size venues where the sound levels are beyond my current tolerance, without the risk of substantial hearing loss and possibly total deafness. Until that time, I tried as best as I could to continue despite the pain and hearing loss but it all became too much to bear and too much to risk.

I am personally crushed by this development more than anyone could ever imagine. The emotional experience I feel now is worse than anything I have ever in my life felt before. Being part of AC/DC, making records and performing for the millions of devoted fans this past 36 years has been my life's work. I cannot imagine going forward without being part of that, but for now I have no choice. The one thing for certain is that I will always be with AC/DC at every show in spirit, if not in person. Most importantly, I feel terrible having to disappoint the fans who bought tickets for the canceled shows and who have steadfastly supported me and AC/DC these many years.

Words cannot express my deep gratitude and heartfelt thanks not just for the recent outpouring to me personally of kind words and good wishes, but also for the years of loyal support of AC/DC. My thanks also go to Angus and Cliff for their support.

Finally, I wish to assure our fans that I am not retiring. My doctors have told me that I can continue to record in studios and I intend to do that. For the moment, my entire focus is to continue medical treatment to improve my hearing. I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances. While the outcome is uncertain, my attitude is optimistic. Only time will tell.

Once again, my sincere best wishes and thanks to everyone for their support and understanding.

Love, Brian.

• Like 2

I hope tis is true and Brian really went out on his own. My only concern is that they may have contractually paid him a lump sum and part of that was to release a wave-calming statement in light of a LOT of fan backlash towards Angus. I know that sounds all "conspiracy" and shit, but that kind of thing DOES happen when it comes to bands, acting in films, etc.

Part of Kiss's 1996 contract with Peter and Ace were clauses to be non-caustic and agreeable towards one another in the press and to not pick at scabs, which pretty much lasted -- not so coincidentally -- the good part of that contract. Heck, they didn't even confess to their lack of involvement on Psycho Circus at the time. They all nodded and played along that it had been a more group effort than it was. Basically they were paid to be good.

While I know it makes me sound like a cynical dick, I suspect there's a bit of that going on here with Brian too.

Not for nothing But Axl's voice is really Similar to Brian's

Mick

I can hear that, I've never really thought of comparing the two until recently...

Me neither. Both have that screeching thing going on. Axl just sings it in a higher voice than Brian.

• Like 1

I wonder if he was ever an equal member of the band contractually, along with Rudd and Cliff Williams. Ron Wood played with the Stones for over 20 years before he was made an equal member. Bon Jovi's bassist has always been on retainer.

Contracts among bands are often screwy. That's why Rush can't just replace Neil and tour without his blessing. Financially, he's one-third of the partnership between them. If they were to replace him with someone, he still gets his share of the touring income while the replacement is on a salary.

I wonder if he was ever an equal member of the band contractually, along with Rudd and Cliff Williams. Ron Wood played with the Stones for over 20 years before he was made an equal member. Bon Jovi's bassist has always been on retainer.

Contracts among bands are often screwy. That's why Rush can't just replace Neil and tour without his blessing. Financially, he's one-third of the partnership between them. If they were to replace him with someone, he still gets his share of the touring income while the replacement is on a salary.

And I hope they never have the cajones to ask him to do this either, blessing or not. Just go do solo things....or record with Neil but don't tour. The idea of Rush in 2017 touring without Peart makes me nauseous.

• Like 3

And I hope they never have the cajones to ask him to do this either, blessing or not. Just go do solo things....or record with Neil but don't tour. The idea of Rush in 2017 touring without Peart makes me nauseous.

Does anyone actually think that is a serious option?

Edited by ReRushed

Why not? Geddy and Alex are still up for it. At this stage of their career they shouldn't have to resort to touring clubs just because Grumpy McGrumpface doesn't want to. If they tour as Rush without Neil, they'll still fill 3000-5000 seat halls. Especially if he writes and records the new album. Onstage, he's far and away the most replaceable member.

I say go for it.

Still, I'd bet 90% of TRF would see a Rush gig again labeled as "Rush" even if it didn't have Peart. 8% would say they wouldn't see that gig but would secretly do so anyway. The last 2% would die from the shock of a tour happening without Peart.