What album do you think is better - Hemispheres or Moving Pictures?

Lorraine

http://rack.0.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDE1LzA1LzAxLzNlL3Zpc2lvbjIuNGMzYjEuanBnCnAJdGh1bWIJMTIwMHg5NjAwPg/39cc6433/a84/vision2.jpg

There is magic at your fingers...all this machinery...can still be open hearted...

Now that's clever :ebert: Nice one JB
  • Like 1

http://rack.0.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDE1LzA1LzAxLzNlL3Zpc2lvbjIuNGMzYjEuanBnCnAJdGh1bWIJMTIwMHg5NjAwPg/39cc6433/a84/vision2.jpg

There is magic at your fingers...all this machinery...can still be open hearted...

Now that's clever :ebert: Nice one JB

He IS Natural Science.

• Like 1

Is this thread a joke?

Comparing an epic progressive rock masterpiece to a fuckking cliche, corporate commercial rock record?

Hilarious.

I'm embarrassed by this novice thread.

Fanboi Foolishness.

Go with your MTV Radar Rectum.

Even Geddy Alex and Neil know that they peaked with "Hemispheres." Their energy was spent.

They had to scale it back hence created "Permanent Waves." I've read many interviews about that section of time.

They were out of ideas and had a very hard time putting out a new record.

Then "Moving Pictures" comes out and everyone jumps on the corporate bandwagon.

Yet "2112" was everything but what "Moving Pictures" taught the musical world.

Hypocritical Homage to Hogs And Hyenas!

Enjoy your commercial splendor!

"2112" saved the band's bacon. Not fukking "Moving Pictures."

"A Farewell To Kings" and "Hemispheres" are IT!

The true trifecta of progressive grit.

Get it?

Do the math. It's simple.

2+1+1+2+A+F+A+R+E+W+E+L+L+T+O+K+I+N+G+S+H+E+M+I+S+P+H+E+R+E+S= BLISS

Alright you crazy bastard, think about this...

This is Hemispheres:

http://img1.rnkr-static.com/user_node_img/50010/1000192051/C350/silver-surfer-comic-book-characters-photo-u1.jpg

And this is Moving Pictures:

http://orig15.deviantart.net/b351/f/2007/345/a/5/thor_son_of_odin_by_saganet.jpg

Edited to add 2112:

http://www.libdesigner.com/images/09_03_12/23/marvel.jpg

EPIC JB! Where the hell have you been?

Florida!

That's what I told most people. But you know I was out there saving the universe and getting no credit for it.

I just received the Japanese SHM CD of Hemispheres today . .

I am tempted to start a Hemispheres thread because I just got thru listening to it on the big home stereo - loud and clear

First, the SHM CD is incredible - the clarity and punch is fantastic

As I am listening, I am struck with the thought that there is no better album ever - there is a vibe on Hemispheres that is so RUSH it is impossible to describe, but I think everyone here would understand that - whatever RUSH means to you, it is contained within Hemispheres for me ..

Almost 40 years after it was recorded, I am still in awe that a band of three and their producer go into a studio with blank tape, and come out with this masterpiece ..

With what I am feeling right now, I am ready to take on Close To The Edge or whatever other album might be considered superior, because ya know what ??

Whatever you throw at Hemispehers, it isn't gonna beat it

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 5

Lately I have been thinking more and more highly of Hemispheres.

I will play it again today Lucas!

It has always been the one classic that has most challenged me as a listener. It used to frustrate me but now I see it as a positive: it's blowing my mind piece by piece!

• Like 1

I just received the Japanese SHM CD of Hemispheres today . .

First, the SHM CD is incredible - the clarity and punch is fantastic

I'm not the overly meticulous, anal-retentive audiophile type but yeah the J-version that you're talking about is tops. Half of my Rush CDs are these. I should just go ahead and buy the rest of them outright.

• Like 2

Well said Lucas.

Hemispheres exemplifies what made Rush sound unique.

MP makes them sound like many others(sorta).

• Like 2

The self titled RUSH record already has that "comic book" feel to it. Which Superhero would represent that album?

Aquaman. :laughing guy:

@RushHead

Vapor Trails was amazing.... Especially Ghost Rider, vapor Trails and Secret Touch. It was like Niel was letting everyone know he'd be ok.

The sound quality was shit but considering how long it took to write and record the album its understandable that it was

ost likely rushed.

Two solutions: Vapor Trail Remixed or good headphones. :)

Great audio gear won't magically make shitty recordings sound great, not sure where you got that idea. In fact, it will make them sound even worse, because it shows even more clearly how shitty the production really is. You're best off listening to original VT on a cheap car stereo or boombox really, or best yet not at all.

Edited by Irenicus

Hemispheres is a gift for a depressed mind.

It's a real journey.

I couldn't be without this album now. Funny how things grow on you but this has consistently been a delight for weeks now.

• Like 3

It's a real journey.

I couldn't be without this album now. Funny how things grow on you but this has consistently been a delight for weeks now.

I think I'll play both of these albums back-to-back tomorrow. I haven't listened to either one for weeks, or maybe a little longer.

• Like 1

It's a real journey.

I think I'll play both of these albums back-to-back tomorrow. I haven't listened to either one for weeks, or maybe a little longer.

Reached a point where the albums from AFTK to MP are impossible to rank in order.

• Like 2

Sometimes when you don't listen to an album for a while, you get a different perspective about it when you do listen again.

I listened to Permanent Waves yesterday for the first time in a while. It was like listening to it for the first time. What an album! :wub:

• Like 4

Sometimes when you don't listen to an album for a while, you get a different perspective about it when you do listen again.

I listened to Permanent Waves yesterday for the first time in a while. It was like listening to it for the first time. What an album! :wub:

Same!

Recently replaying Hems and PeW I suddenly realised how great they are. I always knew this but I left Rush for a few months and coming back to them, I chose these two plus CoS and AFTK.

• Like 2

Same!

Recently replaying Hems and PeW I suddenly realised how great they are. I always knew this but I left Rush for a few months and coming back to them, I chose these two plus CoS and AFTK.

I rarely listen to the albums. When I listen to Rush, it is mostly bootlegs or from their tour dvds.

But I am starting to appreciate the albums a lot more. I hear things on the album cuts that I don't hear otherwise. Like yesterday listening to Permanent Waves, I forget now which song it was, but I heard an echo of Alex's guitar that I never noticed before.

• Like 2

@RushHead

Vapor Trails was amazing.... Especially Ghost Rider, vapor Trails and Secret Touch. It was like Niel was letting everyone know he'd be ok.

The sound quality was shit but considering how long it took to write and record the album its understandable that it was

ost likely rushed.

Two solutions: Vapor Trail Remixed or good headphones. :)

Great audio gear won't magically make shitty recordings sound great, not sure where you got that idea. In fact, it will make them sound even worse, because it shows even more clearly how shitty the production really is. You're best off listening to original VT on a cheap car stereo or boombox really, or best yet not at all.

Well said.

Same!

I rarely listen to the albums. When I listen to Rush, it is mostly bootlegs or from their tour dvds.

But I am starting to appreciate the albums a lot more. I hear things on the album cuts that I don't hear otherwise. Like yesterday listening to Permanent Waves, I forget now which song it was, but I heard an echo of Alex's guitar that I never noticed before.

It used to be for me that about 90% of all of my music-listening time was devoted to bootlegs or live music in some capacity- not just with Rush, but ALL of the music I listened to. I was like that for years. And now that ratio has completely flipped- I listen to much more studio music these days than I have for many years.

I agree with what you said about having a certain perspective, a freshness, about something you haven't heard in awhile. I love it when that happens!

• Like 1

Same!

It used to be for me that about 90% of all of my music-listening time was devoted to bootlegs or live music in some capacity- not just with Rush, but ALL of the music I listened to. I was like that for years. And now that ratio has completely flipped- I listen to much more studio music these days than I have for many years.

I agree with what you said about having a certain perspective, a freshness, about something you haven't heard in awhile. I love it when that happens!

I listen to studio recordings the majority of the time because they just sound better.

• Like 2

Same!

I listen to studio recordings the majority of the time because they just sound better.

I respect that- all in the ear of the beholder, my friend.

I will concede that a bootleg recorded in an arena or in an outdoor amphitheater will invariably sound inferior to a studio recording.

Oh, but some small theater shows...those beautiful old theaters that host live music...there are some fantastic recordings of live music out there, done by amateurs. Some of them, I swear, are more enjoyable than officially-released live albums.

In my opinion, of course. ;)

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

"I listen to studio recordings the majority of the time because they just sound better." Indeed. Edited by Rutlefan

It's true that albums sound better, but the bootlegs have a charm found nowhere else. Where else can you hear Geddy humming along at the beginning of Subdivsions, or yelling out his "hey!" during this and that song? :wub: :LOL: Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I love the perfection of the studio albums much more than the bootlegs and only listen to live recordings now and then. But since the touring is over I've been listening to them more. It makes me a bit wistful.
  • Like 2