What album do you think is better - Hemispheres or Moving Pictures?

Lorraine

Moving Pictures for me. I agree with what Lorraine said in the OP; there's not ONE single bad song on the album. However I love Hemispheres as well and doesn't think there's a bad song on that album either, but like I said, I go with Moving Pictures!

Cygnus X1 Book II

Circumstances

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

Not only better than Moving Pictures, but better than everything else

You wanna compare Hemispheres to something like Close To The Edge ?? .. ok, that's a conversation

But not Moving Pictures and it's tidy little group of cornball songs

Cornball? I'm curious about this description. Please elaborate

• Like 2

There isn't one single second of Hemispheres that I don't love. The drumming, guitars, keys, and especially, Geddy's voice. THAT is the classic Rush sound. So, for me, Hemispheres over MP.
  • Like 1

For me, Moving Pictures is it.

"Witch Hunt" is a song where the music and lyrics perfectly convey the subject matter.

"Vital Signs" opens the door to the next era of Rush. An era that, for me, might be the most rewarding. I love when a band is one step ahead of its fan base.

Anyway Moving Pictures is the album. The masterpiece. Artistically. Commercially. Critically.

I can't begin to describe what it means to me.

It's interesting to me that you choose to praise two songs which are easily the worst on the album and which are worse than anything on Hemispheres.

A lot of fans unfairly rag on those songs. They are very good songs I think deserve some defense from criticism. And I don't think they are any worse than "Circumstances" or "The Trees". I always thought "The Camera Eye" is the worst song on Moving Pictures. It's a bit repetitive. But in recent years I've grown to appreciate it more.

It's grown as well on me, becoming a favorite of mine. But Vital Signs and Witch Hunt have no place on the album I think is Rush's best.

See! Unfairly rag! Seriously? No place on the album? Sheesh.

Cygnus X1 Book II

Circumstances

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

You wanna compare Hemispheres to something like Close To The Edge ?? .. ok, that's a conversation

I know! Cornball?

I can understand a criticism of the songs being overplayed, but calling them cornball is just being contrarian and poking the bear.

• Like 1

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion when it comes to Rush and their music.

They shouldn't be badgered for holding an opinion that isn't an "approved one."

Where is anyone getting badgered here?

Just reminding everyone. It's not like it doesn't happen often around here.

Tough choice. Hemispheres is and always will be my favorite Rush album but Moving Pictures was the pinnacle of their commercial success.

And listening to it, you can understand why.

It's not like I never listened to the album hundreds of times already, but something about listening to it yesterday hit me in a new and different way.

Vital Signs is the weakest track on both albums.

Hemi it is.

M'kay dude

http://www.amsterdamcannabis.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/cannabis-cup-2.png

In the middle of my indulgence, I had a vision. Maybe x1yyz can apply her photoshopping skills and re-develop the Hemispheres cover as HamsterPheres. Replace the dudes on the cover with Hamsters.

Quick! before I sober up!

Ok I love both these albums.

But I love Moving Pictures more than pretty much anything so Moving Pictures.

"Witch Hunt" is a song where the music and lyrics perfectly convey the subject matter.

"Vital Signs" opens the door to the next era of Rush. An era that, for me, might be the most rewarding. I love when a band is one step ahead of its fan base.

Anyway Moving Pictures is the album. The masterpiece. Artistically. Commercially. Critically.

It's interesting to me that you choose to praise two songs which are easily the worst on the album and which are worse than anything on Hemispheres.

A lot of fans unfairly rag on those songs. They are very good songs I think deserve some defense from criticism. And I don't think they are any worse than "Circumstances" or "The Trees". I always thought "The Camera Eye" is the worst song on Moving Pictures. It's a bit repetitive. But in recent years I've grown to appreciate it more.

It's grown as well on me, becoming a favorite of mine. But Vital Signs and Witch Hunt have no place on the album I think is Rush's best.

No place on an album that could be deemed the best. They'd be among the worst songs on any album Rush made prior to MP...minus the debut.

• Like 1

Side 2 of Hemispheres is the prelude to PeW. MP is an extension of PeW's greatness.

MP for me.

Side 2 of MP is a prelude to Rush's dark, unmentionable period. I love The Camera Eye, but it is probably Rush's worst epic, and foretold both the end of the epics and the beginning of the all powerful synth. Vital Signs is a good song, but doesn't match the vast majority of the band's earlier work...and it also foretold how low the band would sink on its next 4 albums.

No place on an album that could be deemed the best. They'd be among the worst songs on any album Rush made prior to MP...minus the debut.

Now you're just being silly!

Cygnus X1 Book II

Circumstances

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

Interestingly, my favorite songs on Moving Pictures are Vital Signs and Witch Hunt

Be that as it may, I find that Tom Sawyer was the beginning of Neil's narrowing of how he approached his lyrics - and the entire concept of "Tom Sawyer" has always struck me as a bit eye-rolling

A modern day warrior

Mean, mean stride

Today's Tom Sawyer

Mean, mean pride

This period, to me, was the beginning of when Rush backed off on taking the listener on a ride and began to paint the picture for them, leaving less and less to the imagination ..

I feel the same about The Camera Eye, but I do like that song much more than Tom Sawyer

Limelight is great, as are Vital Signs ( love the lyrics there ) and Witch Hunt

YYZ is ok, but certainly not the epic piece La Villa is ...

Moving Pictures is a great album, don't get me wrong, but for me, it is Rush coming back to Earth

• Like 1

Side 2 of Hemispheres is the prelude to PeW. MP is an extension of PeW's greatness.

MP for me.

Side 2 of MP is a prelude to Rush's dark, unmentionable period. I love The Camera Eye, but it is probably Rush's worst epic, and foretold both the end of the epics and the beginning of the all powerful synth. Vital Signs is a good song, but doesn't match the vast majority of the band's earlier work...and it also foretold how low the band would sink on its next 4 albums.

I don't necessarily disagree. I have always really loved Witch Hunt, and think it gets a bad rap here. But side 2 has to compete with side 1's perfection. So I think it's two "weaker" songs TCE and VS, suffer from that comparison.

Cygnus X1 Book II

Circumstances

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

Interestingly, my favorite songs on Moving Pictures are Vital Signs and Witch Hunt

Be that as it may, I find that Tom Sawyer was the beginning of Neil's narrowing of how he approached his lyrics - and the entire concept of "Tom Sawyer" has always struck me as a bit eye-rolling

A modern day warrior

Mean, mean stride

Today's Tom Sawyer

Mean, mean pride

This period, to me, was the beginning of when Rush backed off on taking the listener on a ride and began to paint the picture for them, leaving less and less to the imagination ..

I feel the same about The Camera Eye, but I do like that song much more than Tom Sawyer

Moving Pictures is a great album, don't get me wrong, but for me, it is Rush coming back to Earth

Interesting. I don't agree. How do songs like "Circumstances" and "The Trees" not "paint pictures"? They seem pretty specific and focused on their respective topics. I guess the songs aren't about rocket ships flying into black holes.

MP for me.

I don't necessarily disagree. I have always really loved Witch Hunt, and think it gets a bad rap here. But side 2 has to compete with side 1's perfection. So I think it's two "weaker" songs TCE and VS, suffer from that comparison.

Of course they do! It's like hitting .400 one season and then merely hitting .300 the next season.

Cygnus X1 Book II

Circumstances

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

A modern day warrior

Mean, mean stride

Today's Tom Sawyer

Mean, mean pride

I understand your point but don't agree cornball describes it too well. You have to remember that we don't know exactly what percent Tom Sawyer is pye Dubois and what percent is Neil so I don't analyze those lyrics too much in that light with respect to Neil. Red barchetta might be the best ride in their catalog. I also think the camera eye is not terribly detailed.

Cygnus X1 Book II

Circumstances

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

A modern day warrior

Mean, mean stride

Today's Tom Sawyer

Mean, mean pride

Interesting. I don't agree. How do songs like "Circumstances" and "The Trees" not "paint pictures"? They seem pretty specific and focused on their respective topics. I guess the songs aren't about rocket ships flying into black holes.

The Trees really is literal.

Peart has since said the song is about nothing more than trees, and no deeper meaning was intended.

• Like 1

Cygnus X1 Book II

Circumstances

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

A modern day warrior

Mean, mean stride

Today's Tom Sawyer

Mean, mean pride

Peart has since said the song is about nothing more than trees, and no deeper meaning was intended.

There's a bridge in Brooklyn I think you would like...

• Like 3

Cygnus X1 Book II

Circumstances

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

A modern day warrior

Mean, mean stride

Today's Tom Sawyer

Mean, mean pride

When asked in the April/May 1980 Modern Drummermagazine about whether there is a message to this song, Peart said, "No. It was just a flash. I was working on an entirely different thing when I saw a cartoon picture of these trees carrying on like fools. I thought, 'What if trees acted like people?' So I saw it as a cartoon really, and wrote it that way. I think that's the image that it conjures up to a listener or a reader. A very simple statement."

Cygnus X1 Book II

Circumstances

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

A modern day warrior

Mean, mean stride

Today's Tom Sawyer

Mean, mean pride

When asked in the April/May 1980 Modern Drummermagazine about whether there is a message to this song, Peart said, "No. It was just a flash. I was working on an entirely different thing when I saw a cartoon picture of these trees carrying on like fools. I thought, 'What if trees acted like people?' So I saw it as a cartoon really, and wrote it that way. I think that's the image that it conjures up to a listener or a reader. A very simple statement."

Mr. Peart contradicts himself in this quote.

• Like 1