What Does THE PASS Mean To You?

presto123

It's a pleasant but disposable formula radio tune, that's what it means to me.

There are tons of disposable radio tunes, but The Pass isn't one of them.

So in other words, that's not what it means to you.

No in other words it may be more of a straight ahead, non prog song by Rush standards, but it is a well crafted song, with great lyrics and a timeless message. Countless people on youtube talk about the goosebumps they get from The Pass. Comparing this song to disposable throwaway Pop music is just wrong. Everybody has the right to their opinion, but I bet 95% would disagree about it being disposable.

Slim expressed an opinion (granted, he couched that opinion as if it were fact, but that's just his schtick). The question asked was, what does the song mean to you? Slim said what it meant to him. To suggest he's wrong about that is silly.

I'm so glad they played The Pass (and Show Don't Tell) on my local radio back in the day or I'd probably be listening to 90% hair metal at the moment.

No in other words it may be more of a straight ahead, non prog song by Rush standards, but it is a well crafted song, with great lyrics and a timeless message. Countless people on youtube talk about the goosebumps they get from The Pass. Comparing this song to disposable throwaway Pop music is just wrong. Everybody has the right to their opinion, but I bet 95% would disagree about it being disposable.

Slim expressed an opinion (granted, he couched that opinion as if it were fact, but that's just his schtick). The question asked was, what does the song mean to you? Slim said what it meant to him. To suggest he's wrong about that is silly.

I think generally when people say an opinion is wrong, they mean that it is stupid...that's just their schtick.

I didn't mean he was wrong. I did say right in my post everybody has their own opinion, but just that he is in the extreme minority and was hoping he would explain in more detail why this song should be lumped in with mindless, repetitive, bubble gum lyrics, disposable pop tunes.

I didn't mean he was wrong. I did say right in my post everybody has their own opinion, but just that he is in the extreme minority and was hoping he would explain in more detail why this song should be lumped in with mindless, repetitive, bubble gum lyrics, disposable pop tunes.

But you also disagreed that "the Pass is a disposable formula radio tune" is not what the song means to you. Remember that? I said, "So in other words, that's not what it means to you", and you disagreed.

I think generally when people say an opinion is wrong, they mean that it is stupid...that's just their schtick.

That's both wrong and stupid.

;)

But you also disagreed that "the Pass is a disposable formula radio tune" is not what the song means to you. Remember that? I said, "So in other words, that's not what it means to you", and you disagreed.

My bad. I am the thread starter so my thoughts were posted right off the bat.

What does it mean to me? Not a darn thing. I'm afraid I wouldn't even rate it as highly as Slim.

That's both wrong and stupid.

;)

What does that mean?!?!? Are you hitting on me?

• Like 2

Yep. I'm schizo-affective bi polar type, however I'm more prone to mania and depression than psychosis.

I wish I wouldve discovered this band about a decade ago, my taste in music back then made things worse.

Back in 2010 got laid off and couldn't afford meds, end result was me being in the ICU for 4 days followed by 2 day involuntary hospitalization.

Wish I wouldve had that song back then, it saved my ass a couple years back after getting cheated on with what at the time I considered to be the love of my life.

Nonetheless, Rush have been hugely theraputic for me and will always hold a very special place in my heart. :)

• Like 2

Yep. I'm schizo-affective bi polar type, however I'm more prone to mania and depression than psychosis.

I wish I wouldve discovered this band about a decade ago, my taste in music back then made things worse.

Back in 2010 got laid off and couldn't afford meds, end result was me being in the ICU for 4 days followed by 2 day involuntary hospitalization.

Wish I wouldve had that song back then, it saved my ass a couple years back after getting cheated on with what at the time I considered to be the love of my life.

Nonetheless, Rush have been hugely theraputic for me and will always hold a very special place in my heart. :)

It's posts like these that make me think that the members of Rush underestimate sometimes the power that their songs have on fans. On a side note: Just wondering if you have been to Busch Gardens? I've always wanted to go to that park. Stay strong and best wishes on all your struggles:)

Thanks for the support, and yes I'm a regular season pass holder. I go mainly for the coasters but since Seaworld bought the park the shows are top notch.

In fact for Christmas Town they had a show based off the night before christmas story with Olympic gold medalist Elvis Stojko.

If you get a chance to visit go for it! If you're a coaster nut go to Kings Dominion as well, They have one of the best coasters in the country.

Thanks for the support, and yes I'm a regular season pass holder. I go mainly for the coasters but since Seaworld bought the park the shows are top notch.

In fact for Christmas Town they had a show based off the night before christmas story with Olympic gold medalist Elvis Stojko.

If you get a chance to visit go for it! If you're a coaster nut go to Kings Dominion as well, They have one of the best coasters in the country.

Would love to go to both. I have been to what many consider the coaster capital(Cedar Point) and also the legendary King's Island(King's Dominion sister park) because I live in Indiana.

The Pass is a masterpiece. This is Neil's finest lyrical effort in my eyes. And though I've never been clinically depressed or suicidal, I've been through a lot of BS in my short life, and this song was always reminded me that there are a lot of people out there who have it worse than I do. :)
  • Like 1

The Pass is a masterpiece. This is Neil's finest lyrical effort in my eyes. And though I've never been clinically depressed or suicidal, I've been through a lot of BS in my short life, and this song was always reminded me that there are a lot of people out there who have it worse than I do. :)

The guy I was talking about in my original post was from New Jersey. Do you know Tom's River? I think that is where he went to High School. RIP Kevin.

@Presto123

I'm actually planning on heading to Six Flags New Jersey this summer just to ride Kingda Ka.

Cool. They have a similar coaster at Cedar Point called Top Fuel Dragster. I haven't got to ride it yet, but I have ridden Millennium Force a ton which is frequently #1 in the coaster rankings.(or used to be anyway)

Six Flags Great Adventure was the home park of the guy from my original post that took his own life. I only know him from youtube, but I think he visited that park like 70-80 times in one Summer.

Edited by presto123

The guy I was talking about in my original post was from New Jersey. Do you know Tom's River? I think that is where he went to High School. RIP Kevin.

I do. And it's Toms River. :)

• Like 2

I once dated a girl from Tom's River...we used to have magical days and nights at Seaside...it ended well. :)

• Like 1

I once dated a girl from Tom's River...we used to have magical days and nights at Seaside...it ended well. :)

Oh it did, did it? :) :LOL: ;) I loved to walk that boardwalk in the winter from end to end. There was something eerie about it empty and boarded up for the season.

@Presto123.

Whoo I thought the folks at Busch saw me a lot.

Top Fuel Dragster is very similar, albeit straight track with the climb and drop, Kingda Ka isn't much taller but includes a corkscrew on the drop.

And if you love Millenium Force you'll be right at home at KD. Intimidator 305 is the sister coaster.