What Does THE PASS Mean To You?

presto123

My several first attentive listens of The Pass inevitably began and ended in tears. It's quite powerful. While I got familiar with the song after that particular part of my life was behind me, and since then I've been in a comparatively much calmer and stabler emotional state, Geddy's vocals and Neil's lyrics in The Pass remind me of a caring person who is saying exactly the things a younger teenaged me would've needed to hear. As a result it's quite a comforting song. Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 1

:Alex: Hey Neil, you seen this new thread? What does "The Pass" mean to you?

:Neil: Yeah I saw it. I was curious Lerxt. When I handed the lyrics to you back in the day, you weren't that thrilled with it.

:geddy: Thaaaats right! He always called it "Puff Puff Pass".

:Alex: That song makes me wanna eat glass it can be so emotional. Makes me a wreck inside.I noticed tons of people firing up joints and running for the bathrooms during that song.

:geddy: True. Roll the Bones got their asses right back in their seats quick though huh?

:Neil: Actually no Dirk. They stayed out for that one too. Go figure...coming from the man who forgot we played "Jacob's Ladder" live 30 years ago.

:Alex: Early onset dementia Pratt. I know that look!

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

:Neil: Yeah I saw it. I was curious Lerxt. When I handed the lyrics to you back in the day, you weren't that thrilled with it.

:Alex: That song makes me wanna eat glass it can be so emotional. Makes me a wreck inside.I noticed tons of people firing up joints and running for the bathrooms during that song.

:geddy: True. Roll the Bones got their asses right back in their seats quick though huh?

:Neil: Actually no Dirk. They stayed out for that one too. Go figure...coming from the man who forgot we played "Jacob's Ladder" live 30 years ago.

You would have gotten a like if you didn't defame RTB, which was a highlight of the first set at all the shows I attended.

• Like 1

You would have gotten a like if you didn't defame RTB, which was a highlight of the first set at all the shows I attended.

My bad. Wasn't talking about the R40 tour...it was a highlight then!

My bad. Wasn't talking about the R40 tour...it was a highlight then!

In fairness, after listening to anything off of Counterparts, just about anything from RTB is a highlight.

I wouldn't say it necessarily saved me, but having a song by my favorite band that I relate to so strongly means a whole lot.

Random thought about The Pass: I remember that when The Pass first hit radio as a single, Alannah Myles hit Black Velvet was towards the top of the charts if not number 1. Both of them are great songs.

Oooo Alannah Myles...whatever happened to her? She was hot as hell.

But I digress.

• Like 1

Well, if I wouldn't of heard The Pass back when Presto came out, there is a strong chance I would've never become a Rush fan. It wasn't as much relating personally to the subject matter... it was just so powerful emotionally and visually (mtv) that it opened me up to a whole new world of music.

It is one of their less embarrassing videos for sure.

Random thought about The Pass: I remember that when The Pass first hit radio as a single, Alannah Myles hit Black Velvet was towards the top of the charts if not number 1. Both of them are great songs.

But I digress.

Robert Plant had sex with her, wrote a song about it (29 Palms) much better than Black Velvet, and then discarded her and she fell off the face of the earth.

But I digress.

Robert Plant had sex with her, wrote a song about it (29 Palms) much better than Black Velvet, and then discarded her and she fell off the face of the earth.

Is that true, yeah?

I saw a show on the Manic Nirvana tour, that was on with him. I never knew that 29 Palms was about her, though.

But I digress.

Is that true, yeah?

I saw a show on the Manic Nirvana tour, that was on with him. I never knew that 29 Palms was about her, though.

"A fool in love - a crazy situation

Her velvet glove knocks me down and down and down"

And

"It comes kinda hard when I hear your voice on the radio"

And I think she opened for him on parts his Manic Nirvana tour.

But I digress.

So that's what the song is about. Always wondered.

This song struck a cord in me the first time I heard it. I believe that it speaks to the general feeling of wanting to give up when you feel no hope(suicide being the most extreme measure of this feeling)
  • Like 1

But I digress.

So that's what the song is about. Always wondered.

I'll leave up to you to guess how many times Plant masturbated to his memory of Myles when he heard her voice on the radio.

But I digress.

Is that true, yeah?

I saw a show on the Manic Nirvana tour, that she was on with him. I never knew that 29 Palms was about her, though.

And

Yeah, that's what I was referring to when I mentioned that tour- she was the opener then.

Just as an aside- it was late July, and I remember him saying at one point during the show, "I haven't worn clothes like this since about 1972. It's so bloody hot..."

But I digress.

Is that true, yeah?

I saw a show on the Manic Nirvana tour, that she was on with him. I never knew that 29 Palms was about her, though.

And

Yeah, that's what I was referring to when I mentioned that tour- she was the opener then.

Just as an aside- it was late July, and I remember him saying at one point during the show, "I haven't worn clothes like this since about 1972. It's so bloody hot..."

Did he have on that little monkey vest with nothing underneath? I love that silly thing :D

But I digress.

Is that true, yeah?

And

Did he have on that little monkey vest with nothing underneath? I love that silly thing :D

Yes! :P

But I digress.

Is that true, yeah?

And

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/13300000/The-Song-Remains-the-Same-led-zeppelin-13335380-1020-576.jpg

Edited by LedRush

Okay...he wasn't bare-chested underneath, in 1990. But anyway...

They were filmed at angles that just made them look larger than life, in TSRTS.

• Like 1

It's a pleasant but disposable formula radio tune, that's what it means to me.

There are tons of disposable radio tunes, but The Pass isn't one of them.

So in other words, that's not what it means to you.

But I digress.

Is that true, yeah?

And

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/13300000/The-Song-Remains-the-Same-led-zeppelin-13335380-1020-576.jpg

Oh my, my, my, my. No trace of that man left in the face of the Robert of today. :no:

It's a pleasant but disposable formula radio tune, that's what it means to me.

There are tons of disposable radio tunes, but The Pass isn't one of them.

So in other words, that's not what it means to you.

No in other words it may be more of a straight ahead, non prog song by Rush standards, but it is a well crafted song, with great lyrics and a timeless message. Countless people on youtube talk about the goosebumps they get from The Pass. Comparing this song to disposable throwaway Pop music is just wrong. Everybody has the right to their opinion, but I bet 95% would disagree about it being disposable.

• Like 2