What Does THE PASS Mean To You?

presto123

It means that life sucks, but don't be a pussy by killing yourself, you self-absorbed, whiny bitch.

This might have been meant as a harmless or sarcastic or funny quote, but really this is the exact attitude that can push weak people over the edge.

Turn around and turn around and turn around

• Like 1

It means that life sucks, but don't be a pussy by killing yourself, you self-absorbed, whiny bitch.

This might have been meant as a harmless or sarcastic or funny quote, but really this is the exact attitude that can push weak people over the edge. So many people want to pass judgement instead of empathize and sympathize. Nobody has ever walked a mile in another person's shoes. If they had they would probably have a different perspective. I will never agree that suicide is the right answer, but people that have never dealt with serious issues like severe depression or anxiety/panic attacks haven't a clue what it is like and should probably just keep their mouth shut.(not talking about you.....just in general)

It was meant as an exaggerated view of how I see the song...and what I think it means.

To me it's about suicide and dealing with life instead of ending it. I always interpret "Between the Wheels" as suicide because I was thinking about it at the time of that song.

On "The Pass", and I really like the song by the way, I find the lyric "dreamers turn to look at the cars" to be awkward.

• Like 2

I used to think the song was directed at Jesus and Neil was reprimanding him for becoming a martyr. The "Christ what have you done" line sealed it for me. Then I found out it was about suicide and figured I wasn't too far off base. Now it has a duel meaning for me.

It's always been about suicide to me, but I think that final verse is about Jesus and how his "sacrifice" can be seen in a different light.

I think Neil purposely had a dual meaning in mind here. "Christ...what have you done" to a friend for making the ultimate sacrifice and "Christ....what have you done" by Jesus setting the example of self sacrifice. One of the things I love about Neil. He does this dual meaning thing quite often.

Okay then I wasn't far off base after all. :-)

• Like 1

To me it's about suicide and dealing with life instead of ending it. I always interpret "Between the Wheels" as suicide because I was thinking about it at the time of that song.

On "The Pass", and I really like the song by the way, I find the lyric "dreamers turn to look at the cars" to be awkward.

He needed a rhyme for the part about learning to steer by the stars, which he lifted from Oscar Wilde. Guess that was supposed to be a more modern ideal? But yes it is a slightly awkward line in an otherwise cool song.

• Like 1

That line always bothered me. It seems out of place. Before I read the lyrics I always heard it as "dreamers turn to look at the stars" which I luckily still hear.

• Like 2

What's the Beyond The Lighted Stage thing? Is it easy to pick you out in the documentary.

What's the Beyond The Lighted Stage thing? Is it easy to pick you out in the documentary.

Yes, right after they start talking about subdivisions and why the keyboard era was so divisive to fans, if I remember correctly. He has a strong accent and looks like his pic.

• Like 1

He needed a rhyme for the part about learning to steer by the stars, which he lifted from Oscar Wilde. Guess that was supposed to be a more modern ideal? But yes it is a slightly awkward line in an otherwise cool song.

I interpret that as another dual meaning. The "gutter" meaning the low point of a person's life in one instance and the "gutter" more literally when the "look at the cars" line comes in. You know....like the gutter on the side of the road. I love all the dual meanings in War Paint as well. One of my fav lyrics by Peart.

• Like 2

Hey, I knew I still had my southern accent but the accent you hear in the documentary is nowhere near as strong as the one I used to have. Edited by circumstantial tree

This might have been meant as a harmless or sarcastic or funny quote, but really this is the exact attitude that can push weak people over the edge. So many people want to pass judgement instead of empathize and sympathize. Nobody has ever walked a mile in another person's shoes. If they had they would probably have a different perspective. I will never agree that suicide is the right answer, but people that have never dealt with serious issues like severe depression or anxiety/panic attacks haven't a clue what it is like and should probably just keep their mouth shut.(not talking about you.....just in general)

It was meant as an exaggerated view of how I see the song...and what I think it means.

For anyone that knows LedRush well, they'd know he meant no harm by his post.

• Like 3

Thanks, Lorraine. I didn't see Presto as attacking me, but merely giving voice to real concerns that depressed people have and how they are misunderstood by the rest of the population. He makes a fair point. My post was not intended as a serious commentary on the trials of those with such problems, as I know that you, and others who know me, understand.

• Like 1

I don't really have much to add but enjoyed much of the serious discussion of a fine song on a very underrated album. I'm sure the Presto haters will make their opinions known after they punch out and chug a few light beers at the local happy hour.

Thanks, Lorraine. I didn't see Presto as attacking me, but merely giving voice to real concerns that depressed people have and how they are misunderstood by the rest of the population. He makes a fair point. My post was not intended as a serious commentary on the trials of those with such problems, as I know that you, and others who know me, understand.

Normally, I'd recommend using a winkie on non-serious comments, but those don't always seem to work. ;)

Normally, I'd recommend using a winkie on non-serious comments, but those don't always seem to work. ;)

Oh, so true, JARG. So very true.

The winkies tend to confuse me too much, and I'm not a big emoji guy to begin with. I'll give a smile or a more literal emoji sometimes, but who knows what that smug yellow bastard is winking at and what it means by it? Not me.

• Like 1

The winkies tend to confuse me too much, and I'm not a big emoji guy to begin with. I'll give a smile or a more literal emoji sometimes, but who knows what that smug yellow bastard is winking at and what it means by it? Not me.

;)

• Like 1

Exactly, maybe the dude using it is hitting on you, how do you know??? And we covered how I feel aboot that in another thread, there was a train and a tunnel and all that.

Exactly, maybe the dude using it is hitting on you, how do you know??? And we covered how I feel aboot that in another thread, there was a train and a tunnel and all that.

John Rogers, that would make an interesting new thread, don't you think?

The Pass is a really powerful song, yes. It has always been a favourite of mine, and when I first heard it, in 1989, it resonated with me not necessarily because of issues that I had, myself- but because of a couple of other people who I loved very much.

Not only for the content, but for the overall sound, it's unique to any other song Rush ever recorded.

Really the best of their best. For the lyrics, the feeling, how it is made note by note.

It's simple but it means a lot. Beautifully.

Among my favorites, as it is for so many Rush fans.

• Like 2

Well, if I wouldn't of heard The Pass back when Presto came out, there is a strong chance I would've never become a Rush fan. It wasn't as much relating personally to the subject matter... it was just so powerful emotionally and visually (mtv) that it opened me up to a whole new world of music. Edited by A rocket that ignites itself
  • Like 2

Well, if I wouldn't of heard The Pass back when Presto came out, there is a strong chance I would've never become a Rush fan. It wasn't as much relating personally to the subject matter... it was just so powerful emotionally and visually (mtv) that it opened me up to a whole new world of music.

I can tell by your signature you have good taste in music. King's X songs like Believe and Sunshine Rain are excellent anti-suicide songs as well.

• Like 1