What Does THE PASS Mean To You?

presto123

The song hit me like a ton of bricks while revisiting it. Such a beautiful and haunting song. I always liked it, but after hearing of a happy go lucky guy I followed on Youtube suddenly killing himself, it really made me think. Just wondering....has the song actually saved anybody on here? Does the song remind anybody of someone who surrendered? RIP to all those souls that didn't find the strength to walk the razor's edge.... Edited by presto123
  • Like 3

Yes I have thought about that many times. I've been there, I have close friends who have been there. I've had more than one friend do the deed.

Maybe all of us have had those fleeting thoughts "what if I just wasn't on the planet any more" "would anyone miss me"?

I'm not afraid of dying but I don't even want to feel that my time is anywhere near close to being finished. I just haven't heard all the music yet.

• Like 4

The Pass is a really powerful song, yes. It has always been a favourite of mine, and when I first heard it, in 1989, it resonated with me not necessarily because of issues that I had, myself- but because of a couple of other people who I loved very much.

Not only for the content, but for the overall sound, it's unique to any other song Rush ever recorded.

• Like 4

The Pass is one of the reasons why those who hate on Presto are wrong.

It's a great song on a great album.

One of the bands very best songs ever

• Like 3

It means I hit the skip button...90% of the time.

--the 90%

You anger me!

But you can still share my packed lunch today...

The Pass is one of only two songs on Presto I like. It is wonderful, but it doesn't hold any special meaning for me personally as I've never struggled with suicidal thoughts. I do have a close friend for whom the song means a lot, though.
  • Like 3

Strong message.......but other songs in that vein have been more effective on me.

i honestly never picked up on what it was about till years later.

Mick

What are the other songs?

Jeremy by Pearl Jam is one.

Mick

• Like 4

The Pass contains probably the best lyrics (in my opinion) that Neil ever wrote. The lyrics combined with Alex's guitar never fail to get me each and every time I listen to the song. I would assume most people can relate very much to the lyrics. Fortunate is the person who hasn't come close to wanting to end it all at one time or another in their life.
  • Like 4

I used to think the song was directed at Jesus and Neil was reprimanding him for becoming a martyr. The "Christ what have you done" line sealed it for me. Then I found out it was about suicide and figured I wasn't too far off base. Now it has a duel meaning for me.
  • Like 1

It means that life sucks, but don't be a pussy by killing yourself, you self-absorbed, whiny bitch.

This might have been meant as a harmless or sarcastic or funny quote, but really this is the exact attitude that can push weak people over the edge. So many people want to pass judgement instead of empathize and sympathize. Nobody has ever walked a mile in another person's shoes. If they had they would probably have a different perspective. I will never agree that suicide is the right answer, but people that have never dealt with serious issues like severe depression or anxiety/panic attacks haven't a clue what it is like and should probably just keep their mouth shut.(not talking about you.....just in general)

• Like 2

I used to think the song was directed at Jesus and Neil was reprimanding him for becoming a martyr. The "Christ what have you done" line sealed it for me. Then I found out it was about suicide and figured I wasn't too far off base. Now it has a duel meaning for me.

It's always been about suicide to me, but I think that final verse is about Jesus and how his "sacrifice" can be seen in a different light.

• Like 3

It's always been about suicide to me, but I think that final verse is about Jesus and how his "sacrifice" can be seen in a different light.

I found this lyric to be an indictment of Jesus as well:

Someone set a bad example

Made surrender seem all right

• Like 3

I think Neil purposely had a dual meaning in mind here. "Christ...what have you done" to a friend for making the ultimate sacrifice and "Christ....what have you done" by Jesus setting the example of self sacrifice. One of the things I love about Neil. He does this dual meaning thing quite often.

• Like 2

It's a favorite of mine. I don't view it as a song only about suicide, but more about how life won't turn out the way you think it will. To me it has a message of not giving up when times are tough. Of course the last verse or whatever it is, is pretty much about suicide.

The song touches me on an emotionally deep level because I often fight with those thoughts. Not suicide, but dealing with the feeling of being put in a wrong life.

:)

• Like 2