Phone A Random Swede

HomesickAlien

From The Guardian

A Swedish tourism campaign is inviting people to call a random Swede to celebrate the country’s 250 year anniversary of abolishing censorship. "To honour this anniversary, Sweden is now the first country in the world to introduce its own phone number,” says the Swedish Tourist Association (STA).

+46 771 793 336

The international number connects a caller with one of an unspecified number of volunteer Swedes who have downloaded an app. A switchboard supports incoming calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The switchboard then randomly chooses one of the Swedish ambassadors to take each call. There are no restrictions on what they talk about.

Apparently the top three things to ask a Swede if you want to annoy them are about Ikea, Abba and what they think about the Swedish Chef in The Muppets.

More than 11,000 calls had been received since 6 April, totalling more than 19 days and six hours of talk time. About 35% of calls had come from the US, followed by 21% from Turkey. The UK, Russia, and Australia followed.

• Like 1

This thread is going well. It seemed like such a good idea when I heard the story on the BBC World Service the other night as I was drifting to sleep. :LOL:

I guess no one wants to phone a random Swede -probably afraid Zumbi may pick up the phone.

• Like 4

This thread is going well. It seemed like such a good idea when I heard the story on the BBC World Service the other night as I was drifting to sleep. :LOL:

I guess no one wants to phone a random Swede -probably afraid Zumbi may pick up the phone.

:LOL:

And if he does, be sure to ask him what he thinks about the Swedish Chef in The Muppets.

• Like 1

And if he does, be sure to ask him what he thinks about the Swedish Chef in The Muppets.

:sigh:

Sometimes it's best to let a failed thread slip into oblivion.

http://youtu.be/Re72di5phM0

On Sweden's twitter they pick random citizens to takeover the account for a week and post about themselves, their interests etc.

This was a subject of controversy a few weeks ago when they gave it to a certain citizen who used the week to make a politically fueled posts contributing to racial tension :LOL:

• Like 1

I thought I might call the number and ask the Swede if his or her refridgerator is running.....
  • Like 2

Or, I could ask them about their lovely lakes.....

And the wonderful telephone system.....

And their many interesting furry animals.......including the majestic moose..... :gumby: :gumby:

• Like 2

Phoning a number and not knowing who is gonna pick up the phone doesn't sound fun to me. But after all I'm not that fond of talking over the telephone anyway.

I don't like talking on the telephone either.

http://i.imgur.com/H0PoE3q.jpg?1

Do you still have a party line?

I'm sorry, Lorraine. :hug2:

Boredom causes a person to do strange things. :LOL: :outtahere:

Phoning a number and not knowing who is gonna pick up the phone doesn't sound fun to me. But after all I'm not that fond of talking over the telephone anyway.

Why do some here have a hard time realizing not everyone is like them?

Lorraine, I'm not certain if you were offended by my last post, but you make frequent reference to the fact that you still have dial-up, which is why I thought you'd think my post was funny ...an obvious miscalculation on my part. :LOL:

No worries... :)

• Like 1

For those who didn't 'get it' the FIRST time....NA GA DA!!!!!!!

What's that black thing in the picture?