What Heavy Metal RUSH Song Are You Currently Listening To? v.1

JohnRogers

Mystic Rhythms

Hmmm, this is like you not really grasping the concept of pizza.

Just like sometimes when your insistence that cheese and crackers is pizza is met with disdain, your inclusion of Fly by Night as metal is being satirized.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Mystic Rhythms

Hmmm, this is like you not really grasping the concept of pizza.

Just like sometimes when your insistence that cheese and crackers is pizza is met with disdain, your inclusion of Fly by Night as metal is being satirized.

Heavy Metal is infrastructure.

• Like 1

None because Rush aren't metal and never really were. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but it's the truth. If it's not true then Led Zeppelin, Queen, Kiss, AC/DC, Aerosmith and a bunch of other bands are metal also.

None because Rush aren't metal and never really were. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but it's the truth. If it's not true then Led Zeppelin, Queen, Kiss, AC/DC, Aerosmith and a bunch of other bands are metal also.

You being wrong doesn't offend me.....

• Like 2

Just the slightest potential of Al and Ged getting together with another drummer and even a singer and coming back with their own brand of actual metal excites me

As for actual rush metal im one who never saw them or their material anywhere near that category

Just the slightest potential of Al and Ged getting together with another drummer and even a singer and coming back with their own brand of actual metal excites me

As for actual rush metal im one who never saw them or their material anywhere near that category

By the old definition of “metal” all RUSH albums prior to Signals qualified. I would argue by the old definition all new millennium RUSH studio albums qualify as well.

By the old definition of “metal” all RUSH albums prior to Signals qualified. I would argue by the old definition all new millennium RUSH studio albums qualify as well.

There's less than half an hour in the total Rush catalog that would qualify as metal by any reasonable definition.

• Like 2

There's less than half an hour in the total Rush catalog that would qualify as metal by any reasonable definition.

Yeah of course there may be snippets of metal in rush material as their are with many bands of every music genre but rush are far away from being metal for me personally. Can only fit them in prog rock really, other than that in their own unique category, nothing else like rush

If you look at advertisements for Rush albums from the 70s, they were explicitly marketed as heavy metal, and referred to as heavy metal in reviews. Like a lot of bands of their age, they have been strangely inconsistent so far as they described themselves. Until around Moving Pictures, the members of the band described themselves as heavy metal almost exclusively. But after that, it would vary.

In Martin Popoff's new book (Driven: Rush in the 90s and In The End), Geddy gets into this and at one point says something to the effect of "We're not prog, we're not metal; if I had to say what category we are, we're a hard rock band" (that's an almost verbatim quote).

Of course at another point, speaking from around 2004, he describes the band as "progressive metal", and indeed the book describes them as such in the intro.

The problem here is that exactly what is considered metal has changed. A band has to be quite metal today in order to be considered heavy metal. But that wasn't always the case. On top of that, Rush's sound mellowed considerably over the years. In the 70s, at least through 2112, they were by contemporary standards not only metal but very metal. 2112 is very heavy for 1976. From Signals until Roll The Bones, they weren't even hard rock.

There's a really interesting early interview from early in Rush's first US tour in '74, in Texas, in which Neil at one point says something like "Yeah, Sabbath is heavy like us but they are slow and plodding and we're high energy" or some such.

Early Kiss and Queen, in my opinion, were metal. At least a lot of the tracks. Certainly for the time anyway.

The early Aerosmith songs "Nobody's Fault" and "Round and Round" would be considered metal even by today's standards (if you aren't familiar with them check them out on YouTube - heavy shit).

That said, I don't think any of the bands listed, including Rush, are heavy metal bands, but all have metal songs, and some were uncontroversially classified as metal in the 70s.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 1

Good. Only, I'm not wrong. I've researched this quite a bit and consensus is definitely that Rush were never heavy metal. If you go to a site that was created by heavy metal experts for heavy metal fans you will see Rush listed but they do not get the heavy metal label. http://www.metalmusi...t/rush/?ac=rush They don't even get the proto metal label which means they are even more strict than me. Lol. Even if they had a few songs that could be considered heavy metal, which I admit was possibly the case with Led Zeppelin and Queen that doesn't make them heavy metal.

Edited by New_World_Man

If you look at advertisements for Rush albums from the 70s, they were explicitly marketed as heavy metal, and referred to as heavy metal in reviews. Like a lot of bands of their age, they have been strangely inconsistent so far as they described themselves. Until around Moving Pictures, the members of the band described themselves as heavy metal almost exclusively. But after that, it would vary.

In Martin Popoff's new book (Driven: Rush in the 90s and In The End), Geddy gets into this and at one point says something to the effect of "We're not prog, we're not metal; if I had to say what category we are, we're a hard rock band" (that's an almost verbatim quote).

Of course at another point, speaking from around 2004, he describes the band as "progressive metal", and indeed the book describes them as such in the intro.

The problem here is that exactly what is considered metal has changed. A band has to be quite metal today in order to be considered heavy metal. But that wasn't always the case. On top of that, Rush's sound mellowed considerably over the years. In the 70s, at least through 2112, they were by contemporary standards not only metal but very metal. 2112 is very heavy for 1976. From Signals until Roll The Bones, they weren't even hard rock.

There's a really interesting early interview from early in Rush's first US tour in '74, in Texas, in which Neil at one point says something like "Yeah, Sabbath is heavy like us but they are slow and plodding and we're high energy" or some such.

Early Kiss and Queen, in my opinion, were metal. At least a lot of the tracks. Certainly for the time anyway.

The early Aerosmith songs "Nobody's Fault" and "Round and Round" would be considered metal even by today's standards (if you aren't familiar with them check them out on YouTube - heavy shit).

That said, I don't think any of the bands listed, including Rush, are heavy metal bands, but all have metal songs, and some were uncontroversially classified as metal in the 70s.

Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple were considered heavy metal at one point also and so were Thin Lizzy. These days not so much. Black Sabbath still are but many of them are now just considered hard rock and that isn't just my opinion either. Some early Rush could be considered proto metal these days but that's as close at they get. The later stuff is heavy but considering what's out there now it's definitely not metal. If grunge and much nu metal isn't really considered true metal then there's not way Rush is either.

Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 1

Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple were considered heavy metal at one point also and so were Thin Lizzy. These days not so much. Black Sabbath still are but many of them are now just considered hard rock and that isn't just my opinion either. Some early Rush could be considered proto metal these days but that's as close at they get. The later stuff is heavy but considering what's out there now it's definitely not metal. If grunge and much nu metal isn't really considered true metal then there's not way Rush is either.

I don't really disagree with you.

I think we obsess too much on genre.

There's similar debates about what is or isn't "rock" or "blues" or "punk" etc.

Nobody debates whether or not Judas Priest is metal or not, but there's lots of Judas Priest songs that aren't metal.

I think "metal" should be thought of more as a style or sound that can be applied to songs rather than bands.

Hell, some of Greta Van Fleet's songs are arguably metal.

• Like 1

Vital Signs - Moving Pictures

Vital Signs is definitely not heavy

metal. Nothing on Moving Pictures is heavy metal.

Edited by rftag

Good. Only, I'm not wrong. I've researched this quite a bit and consensus is definitely that Rush were never heavy metal. If you go to a site that was created by heavy metal experts for heavy metal fans you will see Rush listed but they do not get the heavy metal label. http://www.metalmusi...t/rush/?ac=rush They don't even get the proto metal label which means they are even more strict than me. Lol. Even if they had a few songs that could be considered heavy metal, which I admit was possibly the case with Led Zeppelin and Queen that doesn't make them heavy metal.

You're still wrong,,,,,Rush are metal and that's that.

• Like 1

You're still wrong,,,,,Rush are metal and that's that.

Well, I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Edited by New_World_Man

All this stuff was metal until Slayer and Metallica et al came along. And then when the Death metallers and Norwegians black metallers came along, thrash was wimpy non-metal.

Anyway, I'm sure Manowar would have something to say about all this - "Death to false metal!"

NB:- it all sounds a bit 'Bad News' to me - '...ok ok we're bl**dy Heavy Metal..' or something to that effect.

• Like 1