Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Principled Man

I'm finally watching this! I've always been a Star Wars geek, I saw A New Hope in the theater when I was 5 years old.

EDIT: I'm a bit mad at Ren for what he did to Solo :rage:

^^^ spoiler

:LOL:

• Like 1

I'm finally watching this! I've always been a Star Wars geek, I saw A New Hope in the theater when I was 5 years old.

^^^ spoiler

This movie has been out for a little more than a week or two....

^^^ spoiler

Yeah, just playing. ;)

^^^ spoiler

Yeah, just playing. ;)

That makes two of us

I finally watched The Force Awakens. Wow. It is a bad movie.

Really? What bits didn't you like? Characters? Actors? Story? CGI? The execution of it all?

[Edited to add just this]:

For whatever reason, I was thinking of Rogue One even though I was reading Force Awakens. I'm a much less surprised but my questions still stand.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I've seen it about a dozen more times looking for a reason to change my minds about it. It really only got worse. Still better then clones and menace but, other than that, it's pretty bad. Recycled premises, recycled characters, plot holes and some not so great acting at times. It doesn't help that rogue one is so much better either. I do think the Rey character was cast well and has the chance of saving it.
  • Like 1

Really? What bits didn't you like? Characters? Actors? Story? CGI? The execution of it all?

For whatever reason, I was thinking of Rogue One even though I was reading Force Awakens. I'm a much less surprised but my questions still stand.

Full disclosure, I'm not a Star Wars fan. I enjoyed the original trilogy. I think they are fun movies, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they took off the way it did. It's a phenomenon I don't understand. I hated the prequels. I think they are bloated, misguided and took themselves far too seriously.

I never got the chance to see The Force Awakens in the theater, but I read the glowing reviews and took it for what it's worth. Then the negative reviews started appearing. It's just a remake of A New Hope. It's derivative. It's manipulative. It's shallow. I took the reviews for what it's worth. Now, I believe if a movie is well made and good and if it puts a spin on preconceptions it shouldn't matter if you read all the spoilers or if you read negative reviews. If it's good it will entertain you and surprise you. Well, The Force Awakens failed miserable on all fronts. From the very beginning of the movie I couldn't shake off the fact that I saw all of it before. All of it. The plot. The characters. The action. Everything was a carbon copy from the original trilogy. The biggest problem were all the massive plot holes. And once again, the use of the "Force". The stupidest single movie device ever conceived.

The Force Awakens is one huge manipulative and exploitative movie. It's like a beautiful and enticing chocolate Easter bunny. It looks delicious, but as soon as you bite into it, it crumbles into a mess.

The negative and critical reviews I read before seeing it were 100% accurate.

Rogue One was an okay movie. I liked it. It's a masterpiece compared to The Force Awakens.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

Full disclosure, I'm not a Star Wars fan. I enjoyed the original trilogy. I think they are fun movies, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they took off the way it did. It's a phenomenon I don't understand. I hated the prequels. I think they are bloated, misguided and took themselves far too seriously.

I never got the chance to see The Force Awakens in the theater, but I read the glowing reviews and took it for what it's worth. Then the negative reviews started appearing. It's just a remake of A New Hope. It's derivative. It's manipulative. It's shallow. I took the reviews for what it's worth. Now, I believe if a movie is well made and good and if it puts a spin on preconceptions it shouldn't matter if you read all the spoilers or if you read negative reviews. If it's good it will entertain you and surprise you. Well, The Force Awakens failed miserable on all fronts. From the very beginning of the movie I couldn't shake off the fact that I saw all of it before. All of it. The plot. The characters. The action. Everything was a carbon copy from the original trilogy. The biggest problem were all the massive plot holes. And once again, the use of the "Force". The stupidest single movie device ever conceived.

The Force Awakens is one huge manipulative and exploitative movie. It's like a beautiful and enticing chocolate Easter bunny. It looks delicious, but as soon as you bite into it, it crumbles into a mess.

Rogue One was an okay movie. I liked it. It's a masterpiece compared to The Force Awakens.

I am critical but I consider myself a fan of the universe. I don't have a problem with the force, it's not different than the magic of Harry Potter or Disney or the magical world of the hobbit. However, when it is established that being able to use it requires a lot of training I have a problem with neophytes being able to successfully face off against a trained opponent like kylo Ren. If it was just Rey you could hold out hope that the next movie would explain some secret past where she forgot her training but they also let Finn wield a saber against Ren and mostly hold his own. Silliness.

I am critical but I consider myself a fan of the universe. I don't have a problem with the force, it's not different than the magic of Harry Potter or Disney or the magical world of the hobbit. However, when it is established that being able to use it requires a lot of training I have a problem with neophytes being able to successfully face off against a trained opponent like kylo Ren. If it was just Rey you could hold out hope that the next movie would explain some secret past where she forgot her training but they also let Finn wield a saber against Ren and mostly hold his own. Silliness.

I remember Ren stopping a laser beam. He stopped a friggin' laser beam with the force. Later on, he uses the force to throw Rey a hundred feet into a tree. Then, yes, Finn picks up a sabre and holds his own. Dumb.

I remember Ren stopping a laser beam. He stopped a friggin' laser beam with the force. Later on, he uses the force to throw Rey a hundred feet into a tree. Then, yes, Finn picks up a sabre and holds his own. Dumb.

I said similar things regarding Finn vs Ren and some TRFers defended the fight as legit. The excuse was that Ren was injured from being shot by Chewbacca + MAYBE Finn is "Force sensitive". "Force sensitive", yes that was said. :LOL:

I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying here.

As for me, here's my short view on Star Wars...

- I like the originals.

- I loathe the prequels. LOATHE!

- I like Rogue One more than Jedi and much more than Force Awakens...I do like Force Awakens but it's easy to see why someone doesn't

Agreed 100%

• Like 1

Agreed 100%

• Like 1

Agreed 100%

Uh, midichlorians, people. There is proven science behind it all.
  • Like 1

I think bringing back Harrison Ford and Carrie Fischer was a huge mistake that made people initially happy, but ultimately sank the film.
  • Like 1

Agreed 100%

Uh, midichlorians, people. There is proven science behind it all.

Bah, midichlorians. #NotMyForce

• Like 2

I think bringing back Harrison Ford and Carrie Fischer was a huge mistake that made people initially happy, but ultimately sank the film.

What??? Is weed legal in Nevada now?

• Like 2

What??? Is weed legal in Nevada now?

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/e7/e75fcaa151bc69caa7db99a9bab49d5cb2066c8c9fc326f920ec3eb434fe68c4.jpg

I think you're right.

• Like 1

I thought The Force Awakens was WAY overrated. A complete rip-off of A New Hope. Critics were too easy on it. Very un-original.

Rogue One was much better.

I remember a lot of fans gushed over ohantom menace when it released because they were starved for new Star Wars. They later regretted that. I think the same thing is happening now with TFA. Helped along by rogue one of course.

OK, it's the Lad's birthday, so we're watching the Force Awakens. Half way through, and it's till a pretty good movie.

(+++++) Re-creating the universe

(++) The general tone and presentation of the initial conflict

(+) Kylo Ren

(++++) Introduction of Rey

(++) Introduction of Finn

(+++) re-introducing the Milennium Falcon

(+) BB8

(---) using Harrison Ford and re-cycling the cheesy 80's dialogue

(--) the monster chase on the Falcon

(++) the bar scene

(+++) Maz Kanata & Luke's light saber

(++) Takodana battle scene, minus Harrison Ford

(++) Rey discovering her power post-interrogation

(-) using Carrie Fischer

(--) Leiah/Solo affair as Kylo Ren genesis

(-----) Kylo Ren/Han Solo death scene and plot vehicle :eyeroll:

(+++) Rey vs. Kylo Ren

(-) Finn vs. Kylo Ren

(--) Millenium Falcon impossible snow cliff rescue

(++++) Final scene with a silent Luke

Way more good than bad, but the bad is really bad. Unnecessary, too.

Oh...forgot the Starkiller. (-----)

Edited by goose

You mean after Ren was shot in the stomach with one of the most powerful blasters in the universe and was keeping his insides in his body with the force and gut punches? Or after he killed his father even though he knew it was completely wrong and he was strongly pulled to leave the dark side? Oh wait...both.

And Ren hasn't had a sword fight in years...he dispatched of Finn quickly once shit got real. And we see Rey growing more and more powerful with the Force as the movie continues.

The only real plot holes I saw involved the Starkiller.

TFA did a much better job of making me care for the characters and invested in the movie than Rogue One, but both are lightyears better than Episodes 1 and 2.

• Like 1

You mean after Ren was shot in the stomach with one of the most powerful blasters in the universe and was keeping his insides in his body with the force and gut punches? Or after he killed his father even though he knew it was completely wrong and he was strongly pulled to leave the dark side? Oh wait...both.

And Ren hasn't had a sword fight in years...he dispatched of Finn quickly once shit got real. And we see Rey growing more and more powerful with the Force as the movie continues.

The only real plot holes I saw involved the Starkiller.

TFA did a much better job of making me care for the characters and invested in the movie than Rogue One, but both are lightyears better than Episodes 1 and 2.

Rey, Finn and Chewbacca could have blasted Ren away after he killed Han Solo.

If the Force can be weakened by blaster shots why the difficulty with the Dark side constantly re-emerging?

It's a dumb and uninspired movie.