Is RUSH Still Your #1 Rock Band?

g under p

My dad is 76 and must be very young at heart, because he has no problems with letting ones know who his favourite band are (ABBA).

Not something I would admit at any age. ;)

Hey! None o' that! I freely admit to loving ABBA. I mean they aren't my favorite per se but ABBA is a perfectly acceptable band to have as a favorite.

• Like 1

Been a fan since 78 but Zep was my #1 then and they were still going.When it looked like there was going to be no Zep and Grace Under Pressure came out which for me sold me that this band was going somewhere then they became #1.But like a lot of people here we go off them for awhile and then come back to them.Part of the reason for me is that it now takes years for a new album to come out and i played the last one to death and i am tired of it.Luckily I have broad tastes and find some new band(or old) to rave about, but I always come back to them.

My dad is 76 and must be very young at heart, because he has no problems with letting ones know who his favourite band are (ABBA).

Ah, so it's hereditary!

• Like 1

Ah, so it's hereditary!

Yes! But he never introduced me to them...I found ABBA Gold and liked the pretty blonde lady so I put the cassette in the player...and was hooked (age seven). Then I went and ransacked my dad's vinyl collection (same age).

By the age of eleven I owned every album on vinyl (aside from Ring, Ring), had a huge biography, worshipped their music, knew about the band in great detail, and you know what?

Had it not been for ABBA my taste in music would have been very narrow.

My dad was proud but dumbfounded as he never really played music around me.

And then I became a much bigger fan, and as a result so did he!

And now my mum and dad enjoy classic rock and metal, because discovering ABBA brought our tastes in line and watching me grow lead to my parents opening their minds to more and more things they actually disliked back in "their day".

• Like 4

YES but I have done some exploring of other music like the band Nightwish. WOW! It is very not like me Im very old school and hard to teach new tricks. New music to me has no soul or meaning which ever way you look at it. I have been listening to Rush since 1978 and still find it fresh. If they stop making new music then Im screwed!!!!!

I don't care what anyone says. Rush are amazing.

But Nightwish all the way for me!

So glad you connected with them. What have you heard so far?

Everything. Endless forms I think is one of the best LP's in a long time!!!

Currently it reigns as my album of the decade thus far!

I agree its very good. Liked many of the songs the first time I heard them - which was live since I saw them the opening night of their tour supporting it but I did not have the album at that point.

That being said, Endless Forms and the prior 2 albums, are sort of like Rush albums in a way - at least for me. Their are a lot of things going on musically and its taken me quite a while to digest them all. With some Rush albums its taken me years of listening for me to fully come to appreciate them and that has been the case with Imaginarium, DPP & Endless Forms. For that matter, this is true of all of Nightwish's albums to some extent - just its been much more pronounced with the last 3. Still getting to fully appreciate them - although I definitely like Endless Forms the most of the 3.

That being said, Rush is definitely my # 1 Rock band - by far. However, like many other here, I will go through stretch's where I don't listen to them (much) and listen to other groups. Currently I am in one of those stretch's and have been listing to some Nightwish and a lot of The Who and Judas Priest.

• Like 2

YES but I have done some exploring of other music like the band Nightwish. WOW! It is very not like me Im very old school and hard to teach new tricks. New music to me has no soul or meaning which ever way you look at it. I have been listening to Rush since 1978 and still find it fresh. If they stop making new music then Im screwed!!!!!

I agree its very good. Liked many of the songs the first time I heard them - which was live since I saw them the opening night of their tour supporting it but I did not have the album at that point.

That being said, Endless Forms and the prior 2 albums, are sort of like Rush albums in a way - at least for me. Their are a lot of things going on musically and its taken me quite a while to digest them all. With some Rush albums its taken me years of listening for me to fully come to appreciate them and that has been the case with Imaginarium, DPP & Endless Forms. For that matter, this is true of all of Nightwish's albums to some extent - just its been much more pronounced with the last 3. Still getting to fully appreciate them - although I definitely like Endless Forms the most of the 3.

That being said, Rush is definitely my # 1 Rock band - by far. However, like many other here, I will go through stretch's where I don't listen to them (much) and listen to other groups. Currently I am in one of those stretch's and have been listing to some Nightwish and a lot of The Who and Judas Priest.

I'm sold. I'll check out Nightwish. I encourage you guys to check out Coheed & Cambria if you haven't already. Cladio Sanchez even sounds like a young Geddy.

• Like 2

I have been a Nightwish fan for eleven years. It took ten years for them to grow on me to the point they are now my shared equal favourite band (with Lacuna Coil who I still think I rate a little higher).

The music on every album took time to grow on me. I have rarely been so rewarded by any band for patience in my life!

Recently, Yes,King's X and Kansas have been putting me through this all over again. I love the way every replay still sounds new and adds and adds to my joy for their music!

Yes, especially, are emerging as a band that could have the potential to mean as much to me as Lacuna Coil or Nightwish.

I love being kept in my toes and trying new things!

They are my favorite CANADIAN band.

Same!

I don't think there will ever be another band that I love more than Rush. There are bands that I listen to more than Rush, because their music is fresher to my ears. But until a band can make something as epic as 2112, La Villa, Natural Science, or can compose something as awesome as Headlong Flight after 35 plus years, then maybe I'll have a change of heart, but I doubt it. Edited by ILSnwdog
  • Like 2

well said!!

For a long time they were, but time passes, you mellow with age and become open to more music that previously you would have sneered at.

I reckon if I was forced to pick, it would probably be Kings X, with Rush and The Wildhearts close behind....after that it gets pretty eclectic with just too many bands to mention.

• Like 1

For me, there is RUSH, and then there is everyone else. They are UNIQUE. I've seen the band in concert ten times. The most I've seen any other band is twice.

I listen to plenty of other bands, but none of them have affected my life, my intellect and personality for 40 years like RUSH has done. When I listen to the music of RUSH, the experience is much more profound and personal than that of other bands' music. There is this intellectual and emotional connection that I have never had with any other band.

Retirement or no retirement, they're the Greatest.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 5

For me, there is RUSH, and then there is everyone else. They are UNIQUE. I've seen the band in concert ten times. The most I've seen any other band is twice.

I listen to plenty of other bands, but none of them have affected my life, my intellect and personality for 40 years like RUSH has done. When I listen to the music of RUSH, the experience is much more profound and personal than that of other bands' music. There is this intellectual and emotional connection that I have never had with any other band.

Retirement or no retirement, they're the Greatest.

:goodone:

• Like 2

Not something I would admit at any age. ;)

Hey! None o' that! I freely admit to loving ABBA. I mean they aren't my favorite per se but ABBA is a perfectly acceptable band to have as a favorite.

ABBA RULES! They are in my TOP TEN!

Saying that RUSH WILL ALWAYS BE MY NUBMER ONE!! CAPS ON BITCH!

When I die the STARMAN will be on my tombstone.

• Like 2

Ofcourse, Rush will ALWAYS be my favorite number 1 band. They are just so damn awesome! Thou, I have not listened to them so much lately... been exploring other bands/artists.

But Rush will always be closest to my heart, and I know I can return to them when I need something special to listen to.

Ofcourse, Rush will ALWAYS be my favorite number 1 band. They are just so damn awesome! Thou, I have not listened to them so much lately... been exploring other bands/artists.

But Rush will always be closest to my heart, and I know I can return to them when I need something special to listen to.

Zumbi, hello! Some of us had just been wondering where you have been! Good to see you! :hi:

• Like 1

Zumbi, hello! Some of us had just been wondering where you have been! Good to see you! :hi:

Well I have not spent much time on this forum since Rush is half dead right now, so its nothing really new happening Just a lot of bullshit.

Edited by YYZumbi
  • Like 1

Well I have not spent much time on this forum since Rush is half dead right now, so its nothing really new happening Just a lot of bullshit.

Ha ha, some of the "Is Neil a Dork ?" threads might head in that direction! Hope things are going well for you and that spring has come to Sweden. :)