Half the World: RUSH Music Videos BRAND NEW TOPIC never been discussed, VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR

JohnRogers

So some nonsense here at TRF got me exploring Half the World. A result for the music video came up. I watched it realizing I have never seen it before. My mouth was agape...more on that later. I began to wonder are there other RUSH videos I haven't seen??? Are they all located at one convenient source? I'm asking aboot official videos from the band, not crap one of you tools shot on your iPhone and edited with an app.

So back to Half the World the video. I found it funny that Neil was alone on the other side of the fence...fitting.

• Like 2

Many older era, 70s vids can be found on the R30 dvd bonus disc. Chronicles dvd hits a couple of 70s hits, but is mostly 80s songs. The 90s vids are a bonus disc in the Retrospective III compilation. Then there is "Anthem" which is an easter egg on Rush in Rio. And some John Rutsey era videos are on the Beyond the Lighted Stage dvd. "Vital Signs" is found on the bonus disc of the MP remastered edition. I think all their vids have been issued on dvd with the exception of "Countdown". Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 2

Are they all located at one convenient source?

As you can see from my earlier post, no they are not. I wish they were though. One single collection with "Countdown" and maybe some live stuff would be cool.

As you can see from my earlier post, no they are not. I wish they were though. One single collection with "Countdown" and maybe some live stuff would be cool.

Agreed.

Hear that Ray Daniels??? Put all the videos in one collection and fire up your check cashing machine!

• Like 2

Agreed.

Hear that Ray Daniels??? Put all the videos in one collection and fire up your check cashing machine!

This is way too funny. I was just thinking about this very same thing on the way home from work today. I'd love to have a chronological video compilation (which will never happen because you're dealing with two record companies.) Even the Retrospective DVD is out of chronological order.

I was thinking it would be really cool to do a video marathon. I suppose I could take matters into my own hands and just burn them all to a DVD but that would take more time than I'd want to devote to this project since the videos are scattershot out of order over at least 4 DVDs.

Then the question becomes would you include the live videos that are just direct transfers from the concert DVDs. I don't think I would.

The only ones that never made it to DVD are Countdown (Through The Camera Eye VHS), the album version of The Big Money (from the Grace Under Pressure VHS and Closer To The Heart Live 1997 (compilation live video never released commercially.)

• Like 2

It was after Time Stand Still that I decided to never delve into the world of Rush videos again.
  • Like 1

Half the world saw R40.. while half the world got fuct.. Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 2

Agreed.

This is way too funny. I was just thinking about this very same thing on the way home from work today. I'd love to have a chronological video compilation (which will never happen because you're dealing with two record companies.) Even the Retrospective DVD is out of chronological order.

I was thinking it would be really cool to do a video marathon. I suppose I could take matters into my own hands and just burn them all to a DVD but that would take more time than I'd want to devote to this project since the videos are scattershot out of order over at least 4 DVDs.

Then the question becomes would you include the live videos that are just direct transfers from the concert DVDs. I don't think I would.

The only ones that never made it to DVD are Countdown (Through The Camera Eye VHS), the album version of The Big Money (from the Grace Under Pressure VHS and Closer To The Heart Live 1997 (compilation live video never released commercially.)

Some nights when we want to sit around and drink and have no plans my wife and I have actually sat down with all the various DVDs of their videos and attempted a chronological viewing of their videos. It's rather labor intensive concerning their 70s stuff since its spread out over so many collections. When you get to the 80s it gets much simpler.

One question that did arise in our little geeky viewing party: Why no videos for the songs from PW?? Seems to be a real hole in their videography.

It was after Time Stand Still that I decided to never delve into the world of Rush videos again.

Actually they got better: Driven and Half the World are good videos. And Far Cry is cool too. But their 80s stuff was ... well, very 80s! The Distant Early Warning video always bugs me. How do you plaster the phrase "red alert" across the screen in green font??

• Like 1

The Body Electric was never released outside of Through The Camera Eye either along with the aforementioned Countdown

Never knew they had a video for The Body Electric. Cool.

And it´s one of their best too, imo.

• Like 1

The Body Electric was never released outside of Through The Camera Eye either along with the aforementioned Countdown

I'll have to check it out.

Is there a list compiled that anyone knows of that shows every video they ever made?

I have been on the bus since 81, and I THINK I have seen them all... but I wonder after seeing this post.

Actually they got better: Driven and Half the World are good videos. And Far Cry is cool too. But their 80s stuff was ... well, very 80s! The Distant Early Warning video always bugs me. How do you plaster the phrase "red alert" across the screen in green font??

Perhaps they are color blind.

• Like 1

Perhaps they are color blind.

Maybe so.

Thanks

I forgot and mistakenly thought that was one of the Easter Eggs for Chronicles. Vital Signs was MIA until the Moving Pictures Deluxe Edition release a few years back.

Is there a list compiled that anyone knows of that shows every video they ever made?

I have been on the bus since 81, and I THINK I have seen them all... but I wonder after seeing this post.

I'll try this from memory.

The Kirschner Videos:

Finding My Way

In The Mood

Best I Can

Anthem

Fly By Night

A Farewell To Kings

Closer To The Heart

Xanadu

The Trees

Circumstances

La Villa Strangiato

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

Vital Signs

Subdivisions

Countdown

Distant Early Warning

Aferimage

The Body Electric

The Enemy Within

The Big Money

Mystic Rhythms

Time Stand Still

Lock And Key

Show Don't Tell

The Pass

Superconductor

Roll The Bones

Stick It Out

Nobody's Hero

Driven

Half The World

Closer To The Heart (live 1997)

Far Cry

Malignant Narcissism

Hopefully someone will catch if I missed any.

I didn't list the live videos that were part of a long form concert (such as Tom Sawyer or Red Barchetta that were from Exit..Stage Left but MTV played the crap out of.)

• Like 2

Agreed.

Some nights when we want to sit around and drink and have no plans my wife and I have actually sat down with all the various DVDs of their videos and attempted a chronological viewing of their videos. It's rather labor intensive concerning their 70s stuff since its spread out over so many collections. When you get to the 80s it gets much simpler.

One question that did arise in our little geeky viewing party: Why no videos for the songs from PW?? Seems to be a real hole in their videography.

No PeW videos because Rush knew that was taboo regarding 1970s music ;)

Wil, thanks for all the location info for their videos, good stuff!

• Like 1

MTV used to often show that video when Grace Under Pressure was new

• Like 2

MTV used to often show that video when Grace Under Pressure was new

It's funny as a kid I watched MTV all the time, and I have no memory of seeing a Rush video at all. But damned if I didnt see Kajagoogoo about once an hour! Damn that song.