40th Anniversary of the release of "2112" - part 2

alieninvasion76

In the winter of 1976 in Toronto, radio station CHUM-FM began running these ads for something called "2112" by a band whose name I'd never heard before... "RUSH"!!! It consisted of a dramatic voice heralding this new release accompanied by a clip of the immortal spacey synth intro that Hugh Syme did for "Overture". I was, of course, intrigued, but it was several instances of hearing this prophetic ad before that hallowed day finally came in the spring of '76 when my buddy Dave showed up at a party brandishing the "2112" LP with its really cool cover and all. The stereo it was played on probably wasn't the greatest - one of those old console jobs - but it in no way took away from the feeling I remember vividly to this day, that of an all-powerful alien species having finally landed, hell-bent on taking over the planet! I've referred to that day, more times than I could ever possibly count, as "the day the Martians landed", hence my Rush Forum handle "alienInvasion76". Well, anyway... the rest, as they say, is history.

P.S. In case you missed it, here's the link to my other recent "2112" post providing links to several "2112" related articles, etc. that appeared on or around its release:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/98577-apr-1st-2016-the-40th-anniversary-of-the-release-of-2112/

• Like 5