Eel Yddeg

So?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Is Rush Metal?

• Yes
    • Some Songs, but not as a whole
    • No

Since this has been discussed in the "Top 100 Metal Albums"

Would you say Rush is a metal band, or not?

Personally, I wouldn't. Their sound is more hard rock with prog elements to me. They lost all heaviness once Signals rolled around.

However, some songs, IMO, are metal.

The following are songs I would consider to be metal.

Working Man

By-Tor and the Snow Dog (7/4 War Furor)

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

Natural Science (Part II, Different Stages version)

BU2B

One Little Victory (Particularly the intro)

Post thoughts below. If they're not metal, feel free to post songs you'd say are.

Geez.

Not even one of Rush's songs are metal.

For f**k's sake.

Yes. I already raised the question what is metal? Its analogus to he question "what is jazz"? There are multiple ways to define it. Each Person has their own definition. No, Rush is by no means a Metal band but they do have songs that are very metallic and heavy in their construct. Heavy riffs, dark lyrical concepts, challenging musical constructs. Pretty metal if hou ask me.

Don't even try arguing with Bard. He's right as he always is.

On the 3rd day, Bard created Rush. On the 4th, Bard created metal. Given that, Rush couldn't possibly be metal.

Besides, Bard already said "geez" and "for f**k's sake" which trump any argument made.

Geez. For f**k's sake.

Oh hey. BTW. Know what else I was right about?

That Neil was retiring. :)

I see tons of metal heads moshing at Rush shows. Leather studs, headbangin', the whole nine yards.

Oh wait...I don't at all. :)

http://image.funscrape.com/images/h/heavy_metal-12978.jpg

Which one is you?

f***ing leather studs. They're fashion statements, not music.

Btw, back in your Great Proclamation Days of 'Rush is Retiring', you stated more than once that you wouldn't return to TRF after the R40 tour. Why did you go back on this?

Personally, I wouldn't. Their sound is more hard rock with prog elements to me. They lost all heaviness once Signals rolled around.

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Post thoughts below. If they're not metal, feel free to post songs you'd say are.

Geez.

For f**k's sake.

Yes. I already raised the question what is metal? Its analogus to he question "what is jazz"? There are multiple ways to define it. Each Person has their own definition. No, Rush is by no means a Metal band but they do have songs that are very metallic and heavy in their construct. Heavy riffs, dark lyrical concepts, challenging musical constructs. Pretty metal if hou ask me.

On the 3rd day, Bard created Rush. On the 4th, Bard created metal. Given that, Rush couldn't possibly be metal.

Besides, Bard already said "geez" and "for f**k's sake" which trump any argument made.

Geez. For f**k's sake.

I see tons of metal heads moshing at Rush shows. Leather studs, headbangin', the whole nine yards.

Which one is you?

Btw, back in your Great Proclamation Days of 'Rush is Retiring', you stated more than once that you wouldn't return to TRF after the R40 tour. Why did you go back on this?

1486663_10203346917983062_1144295043_n.jpg?oh=61754b61e2d002cab999ae48c47fcd2b&oe=57859070

Which one is me???

• Like 1

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Geez.

For f**k's sake.

Geez. For f**k's sake.

Which one is you?

1486663_10203346917983062_1144295043_n.jpg?oh=61754b61e2d002cab999ae48c47fcd2b&oe=57859070

Which one is me???

My question to you is...Does it even matter??

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Geez.

For f**k's sake.

Geez. For f**k's sake.

Which one is you?

Which one is me???

Barring news on new music or another tour does anything at TRF really matter???

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Geez.

For f**k's sake.

Geez. For f**k's sake.

Which one is you?

Which one is me???

Yup, nothing matters. It never mattered. But this stupidity stems from the stupidity of someone not being metal unless they're wearing leather studs. The whole nine yards of stupidity.

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Geez.

For f**k's sake.

Geez. For f**k's sake.

Which one is you?

Which one is me???

Actualy i do want to know which is you.

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Geez.

For f**k's sake.

Geez. For f**k's sake.

Which one is you?

Which one is me???

:LOL:

They're all Rogers.

It's complicated.

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Geez.

For f**k's sake.

Geez. For f**k's sake.

Which one is you?

Which one is me???

They're all Rogers.

It's complicated.

War Pigs ---> same thing as Closer to the Heart.

Duh. :)

If you weren't such a dullard you would realise that is exactly what I am saying. The band that wrote War Pigs also wrote Planet Caravan and Solitude. The band that wrote Anthem and 2112 also wrote Tears, Closer To The Heart and Fly By Night.

FFS I could probably name 20 ballads by Metallica, does that make them Soft Rock?

• Like 1

Yup, nothing matters. It never mattered. But this stupidity stems from the stupidity of someone not being metal unless they're wearing leather studs. The whole nine yards of stupidity.

No, someone isn't metal if they're Rush.

That is all.

Feel free to ask Ged, Al, or Neil that metal question next time you see 'em.

Oh wait. That's right. You won't see 'em.

War Pigs ---> same thing as Closer to the Heart.

Duh. :)

If you weren't such a dullard you would realise that is exactly what I am saying. The band that wrote War Pigs also wrote Planet Caravan and Solitude. The band that wrote Anthem and 2112 also wrote Tears, Closer To The Heart and Fly By Night.

FFS I could probably name 20 ballads by Metallica, does that make them Soft Rock?

Again....Planet Caravan does not equate to Closer to the Heart.

It's funny that you think FBN is some kinda ballad, though. :)

Actually, it's funnier that you think Planet Caravan is some kinda ballad. :)

That is all.

Are you trying to rile me up? I don't give a shit whether they're metal or not (I said that already). And frankly, I don't give a shit if they're still together or not (I never said they were)...WE have no control over that so it doesn't matter.

But this is the question that you keep avoiding:

Why did you return to TRF when you said more than once that you wouldn't be back once the R40 tour ended?

That is all.

Are you trying to rile me up? I don't give a shit whether they're metal or not (I said that already). And frankly, I don't give a shit if they're still together or not (I never said they were)...WE have no control over that so it doesn't matter.

Why did you return to TRF when you said more than once that you wouldn't be back once the R40 tour ended?

Hasn't ruled out a second leg?

• Like 1

That is all.

Hasn't ruled out a second leg?

Culex pipiens

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rushs-geddy-lee-says-he-almost-produced-metallicas-master-of-puppets-album/

Lee admitted that he isn't much of a heavy metal fan. "I don't listen to a lot of metal," he said. "Even though there's an aspect of our sound that can be quite metal, I sort of attribute it more to early metal, in the way that [LED] ZEPPELIN were metal and in the way that BLACK SABBATH were metal, and BLUE CHEER were metal. And that's the sort of tradition of metal that we took on."

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/rush-geddy-lee-interview

You guys were almost contemporary with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. Have you ever had a writing stage where you said, “Let’s just come up the heaviest thing we can possibly imagine?”

[Laughs] Well, every once in a while, we do seek the ultimate ‘heaviosity.’ That’s true. I know there were moments of Counterparts where we wanted to be very very heavy. But for us, it’s hard to stay heavy for an entire ten minute, twelve minute song, because we just get bored with it, and the dynamics seem to suffer after a while. So we invariably relent, and have some light and shade thrown in there with all the other heaviosity.

• Like 3