Neil Peart #4

JohnRogers

The only drummers I'd possibly put above Peart are not Baker, Bonham and Moon (as great as they all were). Bill Bruford, Vinnie Colaiuta, Tony Williams...I'd entertain those.

Lists like this virtually always favor the more successful and those in the rock genre.

Says the guy who penned the worst thread EVER!!!

Which thread was that? His underrated drummer thread?

http://www.therushfo...r/#entry3753307

I'd wager this guy has never even been to a RUSH show!

I exasperate even me. :sigh: That's the thread I meant.

But someone claiming to be LedRush was at the Tulsa show. I know this for a fact because I saw a picture that Tex posted claiming it was of him and Led. If we can get a hold of his DNA, we may be able to get to the bottom of this.

Don't worry, we're betting a cigar casing...and we both want him to lose that bet.

• Like 1

Neil is absolutely a top three for me and placing him top one would be much less obscene than placing Cozy Powell at #50 as in this list!
  • Like 1

Scrolling thru all that shit make me seasick, but I didn't see Lenny White on that entire list

I love Neil because he is Neil and was in Rush and all, but he is not close to Lenny White - who is not even on the list

John Bonham is probably one of the most overrated musicians ever

E V E R

• Like 1

I actually think Neil should be #1. He's so much more technical than the first 3 and he has never passed out mid-show from animal tranquilizers! :D IDK if he made the list or not, but I also have a special place in my heart for Carter Beauford.

What are the Rolling Stone ratings based on? Subscriber votes? Editors choice?

Don't you mean the Emperor?

No Art Blakey?

:boo hiss:

So many great jazz guys. What about Max Roach, Jack DeJonette, Elvin Jones?

They did state criteria was drummers who did rock and pop, so jazz greats would be left off the list.

Peart being at number 4 isn't right, but it's not the greatest injustice on the list.

Bonham is incredibly overrated. He could keep a solid beat, had some interesting, if not rudimentary. ideas. But his drums sounded like mud and his technique was... adequate.

Gavin Harrison should be number 1 as far as I'm concerned.

:codger: Having given this thirty seconds more thought, death may be having an unfair advantage here.

If Bonzo and Moonie were still alive, I wonder where they'd be on the list.

The only perk of dying young is to be historically over-rated.

I love Zep but never understood the Bonzo love. He is very good, but alot of his work appears, at least to the non technical fan, to be fairly straight forward drumming.

Peart is like a symphony, and every single fill is different!

I do think Bonham was a great drummer- but in the area of versatility is where he falls short. Bonham took the 4/4 time signature about as far as it could go, I think. So within the confines of more basic rock...he was outstanding. So was Moonie.

But, a strong case for the point I'm making: I'd rather listen to Neil Peart solo for four or five minutes than to listen to Moby Dick for 15 to 20 minutes. There's just infinitely more going on in those four minutes than Bonzo spread out over his own solos; any of them.

• Like 3

No Art Blakey?

They did state criteria was drummers who did rock and pop, so jazz greats would be left off the list.

Yeah, but okay, but...Gene Krupa is #7. Buddy Rich is #15.

:huh:

#noloveforblackjazzcats

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

I actually think Neil should be #1. He's so much more technical than the first 3 and he has never passed out mid-show from animal tranquilizers! :D IDK if he made the list or not, but I also have a special place in my heart for Carter Beauford.

What are the Rolling Stone ratings based on? Subscriber votes? Editors choice?

Don't you mean the Emperor?

HAHA, I suppose I do. Proof positive that someone can be a dick, and still have amazing talent!

No Art Blakey?

Yeah, but okay, but...Gene Krupa is #7. Buddy Rich is #15.

:huh:

#noloveforblackjazzcats

Those dudes crossed over into rock/pop somewhere along the way?

I didn't look at the list - still haven't. I assumed it was a rock drummer list. Buddy Rich at 15 you say??? That is so stupid. These things are all subjective. You can call Bonham overrated. I call him one of the greatest ever. Each one of these drummers has to be reviewed and taken in the context of the bands they were in. John Bonham in Led Zeppelin was perfect. Charlie Watts is one of my favourite drummers - only because he is perfect in the Stones. No one grooves and sits perfectly in the pocket like Charlie. Keith was the perfect drummer for the Who and influenced so many others. If like that other thread, if we are talking technical proficiency, then these lists are completely WRONG. That is where Buddy Rich, Thomas Lang etc etc should be dominating the top. And most non-drummers out there wouldn't have a clue who the top 10 were. And that wouldn't sell magazines. Edited by Syrinx
  • Like 1

Was Stewart Copeland on the list? Phil Collins? I haven't looked at it. Based on these comments I guess I shouldn't care but I am curious about those guys.

I know Phil Collins was- #43. I think he deserves better than that.

I'm not sure about Stewart Copeland. I don't remember seeing him on the list, but now that I think of it, I can't imagine he isn't. If he's not, then that's ridiculous.

• Like 1

Was Stewart Copeland on the list? Phil Collins? I haven't looked at it. Based on these comments I guess I shouldn't care but I am curious about those guys.

I know Phil Collins was- #43. I think he deserves better than that.

I'm not sure about Stewart Copeland. I don't remember seeing him on the list, but now that I think of it, I can't imagine he isn't. If he's not, then that's ridiculous.

Yes Copeland needs to be on that list. Phil at #43 ... Eh I can see it coming from RS. But yea I would've put him in the Top 25 at least.

• Like 1

These lists are always ridiculous. So many great drummers left off the list and too many "popular" ones on the list.
  • Like 3

Both made the list Copeland much higher than Collins I believe.

• Like 1

Both made the list Copeland much higher than Collins I believe.

Good. Glad he was there.

1. Not even remotely fair if you are talking about all out technique. Those drummers paved the way and are legendary for sure, but there are players today that can do stuff that those first three players couldn't begin to do. I get it. It's a Rolling Stone list so it mainly based on classic rock influence, so those drummers deserve the respect for the time they came up in. Actual drummers will know exactly what I'm talking about. Comparing Ginger Baker to guys like Terry Bozzio and Vinnie Colauita is beyond ridiculous. Like Portnoy likes to say....there are no best drummers....only favorites.

Personally, I don't find Ginger Baker and Keith Moon's playing very inspirational or musical at all. Their styles came fro a time where it was popular for drummers to just totally overplay and improvise. A lot of times to the detriment of the music IMO.

Edited by presto123

I'll take this guy over just about anyone on that list

Gave life to the greatest metal band ever - and they were never the same after he left

RIP Clive

clive-beast-on-the-road-tour-1982.jpg?w=604

Edited by Lucas

I'll take this guy over just about anyone on that list

Gave life to the greatest metal band ever - and they were never the same after he left

RIP Clive

clive-beast-on-the-road-tour-1982.jpg?w=604

Really? I mean... I'm a serious Maiden fan and I love me some early Maiden, but I will take Nicko every time. Other than Number Of The Beast, Nicko played on all my fav Maiden records as well. In my world, you can't beat Piece Of Mind, Powerslave, Seventh Son.(I do realize some prefer early Maiden just as some prefer early Rush) I do respect your opinion. Like I said there are no bests....only favorites. Clive Burr is like a simplified, more straight ahead version of McBrain IMO. I would say Clive is more like Rutsey, where McBrain is more like Peart.

Edited by presto123