Time Machine Tour

Lorraine

I thought the reason they did this tour was so my brother and I would finally have the opportunity to see them live from the front row.

Wow nice

Front row Alex's side at the Syracuse state fair grandstand.

I bought the tickets on StubHub. At the time we were shorthanded at work and I was working a bunch of overtime, so I had a bit of extra money. So, when I went looking for tickets and saw the front row ones I figured what the hell, i've got the money and this chance may not come again.

Now, I look back and think how crazy it was that I paid that much but at the time it made so much sense. I don't regret for a second getting them though.

Sometimes you gotta splurge man. Bet it was worth it

• Like 2

I know many said money and their is truth to that. But also i believe they truly wanted a good experience for the fans to help celebrate the anniv of this album. MP put them in the money so to speak and was one of there creative triumphs. So yes money was a factor but i think they considered there fans as well..

I write like a child on codeine cough syrup lol

So you're also RUSHHEAD666? ;)

• Like 4

Another point I don't think anyone mentioned:

Maybe they also thought the gigs would keep them strong and nimble for their eventual return to the studio ((to continue what they started with Caravan & BU2B)). That's pretty much how it worked in their distant past (70s). That is, finish a tour then a very short break, if any, then back in the studios.

• Like 2

Another point I don't think anyone mentioned:

Maybe they also thought the gigs would keep them strong and nimble for their eventual return to the studio ((to continue what they started with Caravan & BU2B)). That's pretty much how it worked in their distant past (70s). That is, finish a tour then a very short break, if any, then back in the studios.

That is a good point, never thought of that

Neil suggested the tour and Geddy said it surprised the hell out of him and Alex. I think Neil figured it would be easier to leave his daughter when she wasn't yet speaking than later so grab the college fund before she can ask him not to go. I travel maybe 2 - 4 times a year for work and it was easier when my son was an infant than after he could express missing me.
  • Like 3

I flew to New Mexico with my now ex wife and two daughters to see the opening show! It was fantastic!

Well until I noticed they trimmed down "The Camera Eye!" WHAT THE FUKK!

At least my daughters have seen a Neil Peart drum solo in their lives!!!!!!

• Like 1

I know many said money and their is truth to that. But also i believe they truly wanted a good experience for the fans to help celebrate the anniv of this album. MP put them in the money so to speak and was one of there creative triumphs. So yes money was a factor but i think they considered there fans as well..

Hahaha!! Johnny Blaze! You fuckking smart ass! I love it!

My Legacy on The Rush Forum is now complete.

I will retire in September. My ten year anniversary being on here. Fitting right? Rush is retired. Now it's Rushhead's turn.............................................

I will retire in September. My ten year anniversary being on here. Fitting right? Rush is retired. Now it's Rushhead's turn.............................................

You ain't no puppet dancin' on those Canadien boys strings! You can't retire.

Don't be a Neil Peart wimp!..."Oh my back. Oh my wrists. Oh my kindergarten kid said I'm retired so I am." ;)

I've already passed my 10 year anniversary and I'm keeping on keeping on. Then again, I may be 70 year David Gilmour.

Perhaps you'll have a momentary lapse of reason and reason that quitting is for quitters.

Die doing what you love, don't quit what you love doing. And you know you love it here.

:blaze:

• Like 1

Don't be a Neil Peart wimp!..."Oh my back. Oh my wrists. Oh my kindergarten kid said I'm retired so I am." ;)

I've already passed my 10 year anniversary and I'm keeping on keeping on. Then again, I may be 70 year David Gilmour.

Perhaps you'll have a momentary lapse of reason and reason that quitting is for quitters.

Die doing what you love, don't quit what you love doing. And you know you love it here.

Wow!! You are a really good friend Blaze. We better meet some fukking day. Damn part of my goodness hates this damn place because I have made so many friends on here. (what irony I know).

But damn. I want to do a RUSHHEAD WORLD TOUR just to hit up all of you guys who I actually do adore around the planet earth.

I may have no filter but I am not a bad guy!

True. Although Neil will always be my number influence as a drummer until I die and move on it the ever expanding universe of nothingness I must say fuckk it.

I don't want to be a fukking wimp like my fat cigarette "Chain Lighting" smoking chimney Neil Peart. He blew me off in the parking lot during the "Vapor Trails" Tour.

Sorry girls, that is not a sexual metaphor. It's the truth.

Fukk it.

Baby Ruth

Wow!! You are a really good friend Blaze. We better meet some fukking day. Damn part of my goodness hates this damn place because I have made so many friends on here. (what irony I know).

But damn. I want to do a RUSHHEAD WORLD TOUR just to hit up all of you guys who I actually do adore around the planet earth.

I may have no filter but I am not a bad guy!

True. Although Neil will always be my number influence as a drummer until I die and move on it the ever expanding universe of nothingness I must say fuckk it.

I don't want to be a fukking wimp like my fat cigarette "Chain Lighting" smoking chimney Neil Peart. He blew me off in the parking lot during the "Vapor Trails" Tour.

Sorry girls, that is not a sexual metaphor. It's the truth.

Fukk it.

Baby Ruth

http://furiousfanboys.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/goonies_sloth.jpg

"Ruth. Ruth. Baby...Ruth!"

I mean, of course its about the money. Everything is, when you have a career that you want to sustain over a number of years. But like you said, I think the artistic motivation was MP and the two new songs.

Bands make more money touring nowadays since album sales are no longer a prime revenue stream.

Demand. Rush does pretty well selling concert tickets.

Rush, at the time, still enjoyed playing live.

Here, let me fix that for you:

Rush Geddy and Alex, at the time, still enjoyed playing live.

• Like 1

I remember at the time thinking that if they were touring just for the sake of touring for Moving Pictures, that they might actually do the same type of tour for other albums from their past. I also thought that it was a sign that they were changing gears to being a more touring oriented band and less of a "tour only for a new album" band. Needless to say, I was wrong.

I saw the Time Machine show in New Jersey and actually left early to beat the "Rush" out of the parking lot. My excuse...I had my 10 year old son with me and didn't realize how long the drive was from Avalon, NJ (where we were vacationing at the time) to Camden. I didn't want to fall asleep at the wheel.

I remember at the time thinking that if they were touring just for the sake of touring for Moving Pictures, that they might actually do the same type of tour for other albums from their past. I also thought that it was a sign that they were changing gears to being a more touring oriented band and less of a "tour only for a new album" band. Needless to say, I was wrong.

I saw the Time Machine show in New Jersey and actually left early to beat the "Rush" out of the parking lot. My excuse...I had my 10 year old son with me and didn't realize how long the drive was from Avalon, NJ (where we were vacationing at the time) to Camden. I didn't want to fall asleep at the wheel.

I would say anywhere from 90 minutes to two hours?

I would say anywhere from 90 minutes to two hours?

I thought to myself, "Rush will be in New Jersey...I will be in New Jersey at the same time, what a coincidence". What I didn't realize when I bought the tickets is that it's a 2 hour drive to Camden from where we were staying. It would have been quicker if I'd started from home. It was a simple brain fart on my end.

I think one thing not mentioned yet was that they felt like they were not only really enjoying playing live, but they were performing live about as well as they ever had in their entire careers. (My guess is that some technological advances were a contributing factor to this). Certainly the anniversary of MP was a major factor though.

I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread but if you watch Neil's interview on tv show The Hour from around the time of the Time Machine tour he says: "We feel we're at our peak musically right now and we know that can't possibly last forever" That's maybe a big reason why they did the tour, they felt they were playing really good.

I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread but if you watch Neil's interview on tv show The Hour from around the time of the Time Machine tour he says: "We feel we're at our peak musically right now and we know that can't possibly last forever" That's maybe a big reason why they did the tour, they felt they were playing really good.

Does everyone here agree with Neil's statement?

I saw the TM Tour at the Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto... sold out, packed and the boys played SO well. I was in the back with a couple buddies, but my brother was in the fifth row, centre. He said they "didn't miss a beat."

When they played caravan I knew it would be a wicked album.... and it was!

They way he worded it, I agree. Their chops peaked in the early 80s. Their creativity, was consistently better earlier in their career. But combining everything... their chops, experience, and knowledge, I think Neil is correct.

• Like 2

They way he worded it, I agree. Their chops peaked in the early 80s. Their creativity, was consistently better earlier in their career. But combining everything... their chops, experience, and knowledge, I think Neil is correct.

I don't think their chops (except Geddy's voice) peaked in the early 80s. Their creativity? Definitely. And I like most of the albums since. They just weren't ground-breaking, "wow...never heard shit like this before"

• Like 1

I would agree with Neil. Technically they were better than ever at the time, disregarding Geddys voice. Creatively they were at their peak in the 70s and 80s.
  • Like 1

I'm not trying to be mean, but what good is being at your peak technically when you've long passed by your creative peak?

You can still tour and play your best work for your loyal fans. See Def Leppard. Also see Journey...who lost the best singer in rock history 20 years ago, but are still touring and making money off the songs he made famous. At least Rush is still the (almost) original act.

• Like 2