Coheed & Cambria

Okay. I read that Claudio Sanchez (axe man and singer for C&C) has stated that they hadn't even heard of Rush until everyone started comparing the two bands. This Blue Barchetta finds that a bit hard to swallow (that's what she said) and not just because of Mr. Sanchez's voice having a definite early-Geddy tone. Listen to ...say..."The Crowing" at all the progressive elements ripped straight from the Rush playbook. I don't know how many of my fellow Rushians also listen to C&C, but if so, don't you find that a little tough to believe? I like C&C a lot. Just kinda wish they'd give credit where it's due.

Coheed And Cambria are one of the best bands to emerge in the millennium, but I haven't followed them for years.

Phenomenal band. They were pretty big back around 2005/06 and I remember even the RnB and hip hop crowd at my school loved Welcome Home.

I might get started on them again. Terrific stuff!

Edited by Segue Myles

I don't hear any Rush influence on the early albums (or even the later ones). Their first two albums sound like they were influenced by post-hardcore, pop-punk, and emo bands, with the classic rock sound becoming more evident on Good Apollo I. But even then, the classic rock sound they adopted is more of a Journey/Pink Floyd/Thin Lizzy/Black Sabbath mix rather than a Rush. I think they've always been classic rock fans, and have certainly heard Rush like most classic rock fans, but I doubt they were any real influence on the direction of their music. The vocals are the main source of comparison and even then, I think early Claudio sounds more like Michael Jackson than Geddy.
  • Like 1

I don't hear any Rush influence on the early albums (or even the later ones). Their first two albums sound like they were influenced by post-hardcore, pop-punk, and emo bands, with the classic rock sound becoming more evident on Good Apollo I. But even then, the classic rock sound they adopted is more of a Journey/Pink Floyd/Thin Lizzy/Black Sabbath mix rather than a Rush. I think they've always been classic rock fans, and have certainly heard Rush like most classic rock fans, but I doubt they were any real influence on the direction of their music. The vocals are the main source of comparison and even then, I think early Claudio sounds more like Michael Jackson than Geddy.

Agreed.

I think because most prog fans of CaC ignore emo for the most part, they overlook the fact that a lot of the early 00's "emo" bands had higher pitched vocals. Taken out of context from the scene they started in, one might wrongly draw the wrong comparisons.

I have never heard the Rush influence. Replayed the debut today. If that was where the band started, I can truly believe they had never played Rush before. It is ambitious, but also fairly derivative of the early 00's post-hardcore/emo sounds that at the time were still quite exciting and fresh.

I love a lot of that era's music. By 2007 it was getting long past its sell by date, unfortunately. Bands like Thrice and Coheed And Cambria had by then already expanded their sounds successfully enough to outgrow the dying scenes.

• Like 1

Listening to more of them..........oh man i want to like this. my pop/hook sensibilities are going wild

that voice though. nails on a chalkboard.........gah it's frustrating, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Listening to more of them..........oh man i want to like this. my pop/hook sensibilities are going wild

Mick

What album?

Mick

What album?

the 2nd one..........In keeping Secrets yada yada

Mick

Mick

What album?

Mick

Aww man...I was going to recommend that one!

• Like 1

Mick

What album?

Mick

it's an interesting struggle. this band is melodically right up my street. but when i said not for me........it really was calling out the vocals. with this band. i could learn to love it......i hope. cause i want to. lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

What album?

Mick

it's an interesting struggle. this band is melodically right up my street. but when i said not for me........it really was calling out the vocals. with this band. i could learn to love it......i hope. cause i want to. lol

Mick

I was all about this style back in the day. I do remember gaining Coheed fatigue fairly often...

Mick

What album?

Mick

Mick

I was all about this style back in the day. I do remember gaining Coheed fatigue fairly often...

i would compare the vocals to trying to get used to Ged.

while their not really the same. voice.......it's the same deal. in that the vocals are way jarring, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

What album?

Mick

Mick

while their not really the same. voice.......it's the same deal. in that the vocals are way jarring, lol

Mick

Coheed and another band called Circa Survive released amazing music...with singers that drove me mad after three songs.

I never really had that issue when I started with Rush. But then again, I started with MP.

• Like 1

Mick

Yeah...Geddy Lee he ain't!

• Like 1

Mick

What album?

Mick

Mick

Mick

Have you tried listening to some good quality live recordings of them?....I personally find that he moderates his vocals a little, and they don't sound quite as shrill or jarring which I suspect is what is bothering you the most.

• Like 1

Mick

What album?

Mick

Mick

Mick

Have you tried listening to some good quality live recordings of them?....I personally find that he moderates his vocals a little, and they don't sound quite as shrill or jarring which I suspect is what is bothering you the most.

yea i should try that. Cause i tried the studio stuff the other day. there are really fantastic songs there......but the vocals kill me, lol

Mick

RUSH is a hot marketing tool at the moment, its a great way to get a crossover audience. The Goldbergs, Coheed and Cambria, Mike and Molly etc...... Edited by Stugotz

I saw them open for Maiden in SLC in 2012. I'd never heard them before. I remember thinking the singer sounded like Ronnie James Dio. Then I finally recognized a song they did. They covered Heaven and Hell. Go figure.

Mick

What album?

Mick

Could you recommend a couple albums for me? I think I could like this band.

• Like 1

Mick

What album?

Mick

To start:

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

And then:

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow (often just referred to as No World For Tomorrow)

Mick

What album?

Mick

To start:

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

And then:

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow (often just referred to as No World For Tomorrow)

Thanks Segue Myles, I will check it out for sure!!

• Like 1