Time machine back to 1968.

apetersvt

So, you go in a time machine back to 1968 to see the first Rush gig with Geddy. (I don't think Geddy was in the band at the time of the first paying gig at the Coff-In). You see the boys (lets pretend John has already taken off so you don't spoil the fact that he is no longer in the band) after the show and you have your fancy modern phone with every Rush tune on it. They agree to let you play one song of them of their future. What would you pick??
  • Like 3

I think I would go with 2112. Certainly nothing after Hemispheres as they would have a hard time believing they weren't metal anymore.
  • Like 2

I'd want to freak them out, I would play Tai Shan

Tell them it's a big hit too! That it's been preserved by the Canadian government as one of Canada's greatest cultural achievements.

And it is now the new Canadian national anthem.

• Like 1

I would play them the crappiest, most easy-listening song off Hold Your Fire (which isn't Tai Shan, btw) and tell them, "I come from the future bearing a warning. Stay away from Peter Collins, and when you get the urge to go off in a keyboard-heavy experimental direction beware, or this will happen."
  • Like 6

I would play them the crappiest, most easy-listening song off Hold Your Fire (which isn't Tai Shan, btw) and tell them, "I come from the future bearing a warning. Stay away from Peter Collins, and when you get the urge to go off in a keyboard-heavy experimental direction beware, or this will happen."

...and they all wake up in a cold sweat.

I'd play them Leave That Thing Alone, so that they would see just how much their musicianship will progress over the years. :haz: :haz:
  • Like 1

So, you go in a time machine back to 1968 to see the first Rush gig with Geddy. (I don't think Geddy was in the band at the time of the first paying gig at the Coff-In). You see the boys (lets pretend John has already taken off so you don't spoil the fact that he is no longer in the band) after the show and you have your fancy modern phone with every Rush tune on it. They agree to let you play one song of them of their future. What would you pick??

Alien Shore, then I slap Neil across the face and wag my finger at him.

• Like 2

I don't know. In my opinion, I think they would look at each other and say "that's just the 3 of us? We are geniuses!"

• Like 2

Certainly nothing after Hemispheres as they would have a hard time believing they weren't metal anymore.

They weren't metal in 1968 though (it didn't exist then for a start).

I'd play them The Pass, a beautiful mature song with a fine message to give to teenagers.

I'd play something from the THEN not too distant future: Working Man. Anything else and it truly might screw up the Terminator Star Trek space time continuum. That is, if I played You Bet Your Life, Lifeson might chuck it all and settle on being his dad's plumber assistant. And I need Lifeson hungry and fiery. :blaze:
  • Like 4

It's tough to know what wouldn't influence their future work. If you played them something heavy on keyboards, Ged might hear it and go "yeah baybee!" and start working on it sooner. :LOL: I'd like to tell them that everything will work out all right in the end and to never give up.

It's tough to know what wouldn't influence their future work. If you played them something heavy on keyboards, Ged might hear it and go "yeah baybee!" and start working on it sooner. :LOL:

This kind of reasoning is the reason I chose what I did in my post earlier. :)

• Like 1

What an incredible thread title! Watch out! I just got home from partying downtown baby! Met a hot blonde! Damn blondes! I love them I need them. Beautiful Girls? Van Halen!

I was born in 1968. What a year! My Oakland A's moved to Oaktown in 1968. DESTINY!

Incredible question.

One of my good friends actually saw RUSH play at his high school so I have real experience feedback.

"Are You Experienced?"

Jimi Hendrix

• Like 1