Music Documentaries and/or Concert Films DVD / Blu-rays

The Cat 3

One of the things I really enjoy is to watch Rock documentaries and Concert DVDs / Blu-rays.

I'm on a pretty good run this week with...

Ramones - End of the Century Documentary

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Queen - The Days of Our Lives: BBC Documentary

Queen - The Making of A Night at the Opera

Neil Young - Berlin (Live in Berlin on the "Trans Tour")

Pink Floyd - The Making of The Dark Side of the Moon

...how about you?

What concert videos or music related documentaries have you watched lately or are some of your favs?

• Like 6

I recently watch the Eagles documentary on Netfilx. I'm not a fan, but the movie was wonderful and engrossing.

And the Keith Richards documentary is fantastic. Keith is an international treasure.

• Like 3

The BBC had a documentary called Prog Britannia that I have watched many times. It used to be on YouTube in its entirety. Sadly it has been broken into chunks, and it is missing 10 to 20 minutes now. Hopefully sometime it will show up as a whole thing again, soon. It is really pretty good.
  • Like 3

There is also a documentary on YouTube called something like "From the Byrds to the Eagles." It is a history of The Byrds, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, Jackson Browne, the Eagles, Joanie Mitchell, Linda Ronstadt, etc.
  • Like 2

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me

A Band Called Death

The above documentaries are great insights to two American bands that should have been huge. They certainly had the talent. But not the luck...

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2

Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter ... is fantastic ( Well done Sonny )

Keith Richards - Under the Influence

Rolling Stones - Some Girls Live in Texas

The Who - The Amazing Journey

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3

Just watched the documentary, "Lambert and Stamp" about the very early days of The Who and the two men behind the scenes...well worth watching...I've been a Who fan forever and I learned a thing or two I didn't know about the band's beginnings.
  • Like 1

I geek out on this stuff too! I have lots of DVD's. The most recent one I have watched is Opeth: In Live Concert at the Royal Albert Hall. It has complete concert footage plus interviews and a documentary. It is a 2 disc set. I just recently got into this band so I am in research mode.
  • Like 2

Gotta mention Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense.

Does anyone remember the 8th Street Playhouse? I must have seen Stop Making Sense there a half dozen times.

Wow...I used to go therefrom time to time! I saw "Rust Never Sleeps", "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars", "The Man Who Fell to Earth" and "Quadrophenia" and others there. What a great blast from the past!

Gotta mention Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense.

Does anyone remember the 8th Street Playhouse? I must have seen Stop Making Sense there a half dozen times.

Wow...I used to go therefrom time to time! I saw "Rust Never Sleeps", "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars", "The Man Who Fell to Earth" and "Quadrophenia" and others there. What a great blast from the past!

Sadly, it's gone like so many other NYC venues I attended in my younger days.

Great thread, RGLT! Our cable includes the obscure Palladia (just renamed MTV Live) so I am often catching interesting things and then forgetting exactly what they are . . . :codger:

Anyway- some of my favorites- I tend to lean more toward the documentary side but . . .

The Who- The Who at Kilburn, 1977 (still have Keith Moon and a lot of energy!)

Rolling Stones- Shine A Light (filmed well and awesome sound and set list)

Various studio artists- The Wrecking Crew (fascinating look at pop music)

Motown studio artists (the Funk Brothers) - Standing in the Shadows of Motown (fascinating as well)

Chuck Berry and guests- Hail Hail Rock N Roll (Keith Richards made Chuck Berry give 2 concerts so Chuck could be filmed)

Pearl Jam- Pearl Jam Twenty (history/songs of the band over 20 years by Cameron Crowe)

R.E.M.- REMTV (history/songs of the band through MTV footage) (runs a lot on MTV, too expensive to buy)

Lots of pop musicians from 1964- The T.A.M.I. Show ( a 1964 concert that was filmed, Neil has mentioned it as a big influence and the songs are great pop)

David Bowie- Five Years (documentary of five key years in Bowie's life. Worth it for just the first 10 minutes where Rick Wakeman explains what makes Bowie such a great song writer. Not available on Amazon right now but has been running on a bunch of movie channels since he passed away.)

And they are fictional treatments, but Love and Mercy is such a lovely treatment of the Brian Wilson (Beach Boys) story, and The Commitments is very, very entertaining! (1991 movie about a guy in Dublin, Ireland deciding he has to form "the world's greatest R & B band." It's wonderful.)

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 6

A few others I haven't seen mentioned:

Beyond The Lighted Stage is seriously one of the best IMO. I never get tired of watching it.

Tom Petty: Running Down A Dream is brilliantly done, but at nearly 4 hours, you may need to be a fan to get through it all.

Ozzy Osbourne - Don't Blame Me

Woodstock. Not even so much for the music in it, but the story of how it came together and as a fascinating snapshot of that time in American history.

• Like 3

Tom Petty: Running Down A Dream is brilliantly done, but at nearly 4 hours, you may need to be a fan to get through it all.

That is a great DVD...

...it is such a complete history of the band and so well done.

Love the bonus live show as well.

• Like 2

The one about Lemmy is great.

So true!

I love when he goes into the record shop looking for The Beatles Mono Box set and one of the employees has it on hold for herself and parts with it for him. You got a real sense of what a genuine person he was and of his love for music.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me

:yes: 'Like' x1000

Also-

Bob Dylan- No Direction Home

Joni Mitchell- Woman of Heart and Mind: A Life Story

The Black Crowes- Cabin Fever (this documents the live-in-the-studio recording of their last album of new original material- a double album [before the Frost...Until the Freeze]- at Levon Helm's barn, in February and March of 2009)

I'll have to post more later...I know there are a bunch I'm not thinking of at the moment.

• Like 1

Some great ones mentioned so far; particularly The Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense, Queen: The Days of our Lives, REM TV, Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage, and Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

Aside from those, here's my toppermost list, w/live dvd's first followed by docs:

Live DVDs:

Depeche Mode: Devotional - simply exceptional performance and very well shot from their "Songs of Faith, Love and Devotion" album tour.

The Police: Certifiable - I was knocked out by how well they could still play together and their energy. Sting still sounds amazing.

Rick Wakeman, The Legend: Live in 2000 - Solo concert w/lots of hilarious anecdotal stories. Amazing versions of some of his best stuff, along with a couple of classics and covers.

Yes: House of Yes (Live from House of Blues) - This is from 1999's Homeworld tour, with Igor on the keys and Billy on rhythm guitar and additional vox. For my money, the best version of Awaken I've heard, and possibly And You And I as well. The rest of the set is incredible as well. This concert got me back into playing bass guitar again in 2000.

Yes: Symphonic Live - Again, for my money, the best version of Close to the Edge I've heard (or at least equal to the studio version). Also, my favorite Steve Howe acoustic solo. What a great group performance, and hey, there's a lot of cute 20-something gals in the orchestra too. The whole thing works better than you think.

Best documentary not mentioned so far:

Yes: Yesyears - Really, it's my gold standard for how to do a great retrospective doc on a band, especially one with so many personnel changes.

Edited by Lieutenant Dan
  • Like 3