Sellouts! - What's your definition of a "sellout"?

Slime

When a band either takes off or starts putting on a ton of makeup.

I don't agree. If you judge a band by how they look then you are shallow.

I just don't like Slipknot or Ghost because they suck.

Then again...I do think both are very talented and I think blind fans will still love the music.

There you go readinng subtext into my posts which just aren't there. I get enough of that ar home. Mostly it was referring to KISS and Metallica for one album. Yes. Ghost are very talented. Im just not buying into the hype.

Also the vocals are unlistenable. And this is a guy who

Loves Mastodon.

But I don't see what is wrong with having an image for a certain era if that's what you want to do...KISS are iconic and I love their visual stage act!

Kiss would have been nowhere if not for that image.

I wasn't there when it was all new. But some of their hits are classic pop tunes.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Selling out is compromising your artistic expression for more popularity or income.

I also think that when artists stay within the confines of what granted them success to begin with in order to maintain their audience, they're selling out in a way. Sonata Arctica's mastermind Tony Kakko is a perfect example of an antithesis to this. In 2007 he decided to take his music into a more progressive/experimental realm and he's been receiving constant criticism for it ever since. Had he stayed with the formula he did for the first four albums, the one he knew would please fans, he'd have sold out in a way people couldn't as detect as easily, but it's the same sort of idea - he'd be compromising his art for the sake of business.

Yes, because Rush certainly "sold out" during the 2112 era

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/books/mojo-06.2012/mojo-06.2012-2.jpg

• Like 1

I don't agree. If you judge a band by how they look then you are shallow.

I just don't like Slipknot or Ghost because they suck.

Then again...I do think both are very talented and I think blind fans will still love the music.

There you go readinng subtext into my posts which just aren't there. I get enough of that ar home. Mostly it was referring to KISS and Metallica for one album. Yes. Ghost are very talented. Im just not buying into the hype.

Also the vocals are unlistenable. And this is a guy who

Loves Mastodon.

But I don't see what is wrong with having an image for a certain era if that's what you want to do...KISS are iconic and I love their visual stage act!

Kiss would have been nowhere if not for that image.

Neither would most of the bands that followed them

The fact is, they did it

And you - an admitted non fan - are stil talking about them

How could they have "sold out" by wearing makeup when they did it from day one ?

They are icons

And whether you care to admit it or not, Hard Luck Woman, I Was Made For Loving you, Detroit Rock City, etc are all great rock songs -

• Like 2

Nothing bugs me more than when my local independent hardware store doesn't stock enough snow shovels during a storm, and runs out of them.

Blasted sell-outs! :rage:

• Like 3

A sell-out is someone who is sick and effing tired of eating Kraft Dinner and Spam for dinner four nights a week. And, Hamburger Helper for the other three... money is good. I wish I had more. Not that I'm sick of KD or Spam... But, Hamburger Helper can kiss my arse.
  • Like 2

Yes, because Rush certainly "sold out" during the 2112 era

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/books/mojo-06.2012/mojo-06.2012-2.jpg

As if kimonos werent enough. Alex still looked like a chick on the back cover of 2112

• Like 1

KISS (Keep It Saleable, Stupid)

/What's your definition of a "sellout"?'

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GcF3DWomEFA/TwiI_gLBUSI/AAAAAAAAAXs/gp6URTvtBnE/s1600/Kiss-Dynasty-Frontal.jpg

Though I actually like this album so I'm glad they did haha.

• Like 1

It strikes me that fans only declare a band a sellout if they are butthurt over a new sound...

Bands reinvent themselves all the time. I have heard ones like Lucas say Rush sold out with Signals. All I hear is another new era in the bands sound...

• Like 2

I think Metallica could be used an example of a band that sold out. Yet I think they actually got bored of their heavier early sound.

Especially if you look at St. Anger. That album was so different for them, or Lulu. Nobody liked either album but you could tell they were pretty self indulgent

I think Metallica could be used an example of a band that sold out. Yet I think they actually got bored of their heavier early sound.

Agreed.

And personally I don't think Load/Reload are all that bad. Not keen on the black album but I know many who think it's their best or near best.

• Like 1

It strikes me that fans only declare a band a sellout if they are butthurt over a new sound...

Bands reinvent themselves all the time. I have heard ones like Lucas say Rush sold out with Signals. All I hear is another new era in the bands sound...

did I say that ??

Maybe I was referring to how I felt at the time - when I was 14 or so

( sure, blame it on youth ;)

I don't disagree with you Segue ......

But what Rush did in the mid-to-late 80s could certainly be considered selling out - but I do think that they genuinely enjoyed morphing, personality wise

As has been stated here, you can't blame a band for doing what they want - that is what art is all about - reflecting and getting across what is a driving force inside the artist

But that doesn;t mean we have to like it, or feel compelled to keep the bond we had ..

I do like some of KISS' Dynasty .. But what they did on Carnival Of Souls was pathetic - that was selling out

CelticFrost_ColdLake.jpg

I like Cold Lake a lot

I think a lot of the flak against it comes more from what they did appearance wise, as opposed to drastically changing the music

Musically, I agree, but lyrically and thematically it was quite the jump. Seduuuuuuuuce meeeeee tonight. :LOL: I actually don't hate the album though.

Agreed.

And personally I don't think Load/Reload are all that bad. Not keen on the black album but I know many who think it's their best or near best.

The black album, Load and Reload are by far my favorite Metallica albums.

Being a sellout is easy to define. If a band's debut doesn't blow up, but they do develop a following, the album they release that achieves the most mainstream success is when they've sold out. Back in Black, Moving Pictures, Eliminator, 90125 and the black album are all examples of selling out. It doesn't matter if the songs on a sell out album happen to be so good that it's easily understandable why people who aren't hardcore fans like them. What matters is that people who don't know what type of strings the guitarist used on the debut album like them. They aren't real fans. Real fans know that, without fail, a band's more obscure material is its best.
  • Like 1

Agreed.

The black album, Load and Reload are by far my favorite Metallica albums.

I personally think even St Anger sounds good live...the songs aren't devoid of some quality.