Which album had the best drum sound?

DirkPrattLerxst

This is a dark horse, but the drums on Vapor Trails are very well produced. In fact, I prefer the original, non-remastered edition. The remastered has some cymbal and other parts cut out entirely.

Totally agree - the drums on the original VT tops it all

• Like 2

This is tough. All of the older albums sound superb. It wasn't until Presto that I noticed the drum sound wasn't as good. The snare sounds like a tin can.

• Like 1

This is tough. All of the older albums sound superb. It wasn't until Presto that I noticed the drum sound wasn't as good. The snare sounds like a tin can.

Aww, I love the piccolo snare. Of course the sound is markedly different from what he was using five years or so prior (and those were just as different as what he used five years prior to that)...just like Geddy's bass farts with the Wal, compared to a Rickenbacker. It's just different. But I think it fit that era, the late '80s and very early '90s, quite well.

• Like 2

BEST drum sound? Has to be Moving Pictures. The way they are produced in studio, but I also love those Tamas. If anyone wants to hear this, the worst drum sound, I think, is on 2112. They sound like there are blankets over top of them... horrible, especially, the small concert toms, 6 through 10 inch.

Caress of Steel has a great drum sound. I loved those Slingerland drums. They used to be one of the most popular brands...

Well, I usually say PeW and MP have the best overall sound, so without going to do some personal analysis I'm going to assume they've got the best drum sound as well...for now.

My favs are Moving Pictures, Counterparts, and I kinda like the "blocky" tone of the Ludwigs on HYF too.

This is probably weird to most, but I've always thought the Ludwigs sounded best on Presto.
  • Like 1

Aww, I love the piccolo snare. Of course the sound is markedly different from what he was using five years or so prior (and those were just as different as what he used five years prior to that)...just like Geddy's bass farts with the Wal, compared to a Rickenbacker. It's just different. But I think it fit that era, the late '80s and very early '90s, quite well.

Little off topic...but as much heat as we give the Gedmeister for the "Wal" period. Some of those bass lines (like Territories or The Big Money) sound pretty freaking awesome.

Little off topic...but as much heat as we give the Gedmeister for the "Wal" period. Some of those bass lines (like Territories or The Big Money) sound pretty freaking awesome.

The bass parts are awesome but he toned the fartiness down after Presto. Marathon in particular is one of my faves.

• Like 1

The bass parts are awesome but he toned the fartiness down after Presto. Marathon in particular is one of my faves.

I saw Primos open for Rush on the Roll the Bones tour and their bassist was playing an upright bass. I guess it has a lot to do with the person playing it, but talent wins out. Yeah...Marathon is awesome. I think some of Geddy's best work came when he was playing that Wal, but..I mean...grooves like "The Trees" are tough to beat.

• Like 1

This is a dark horse, but the drums on Vapor Trails are very well produced. In fact, I prefer the original, non-remastered edition. The remastered has some cymbal and other parts cut out entirely.

This post deserves a thousand likes and more.

Thanks!

My vote goes to Counterparts. The drum set and the dynamics of that album are phenomenal. What do you guys think?

This is also an excellent thread. I love "Counterparts" but I'm going for "Hemispheres." For 1978 a given. I mean really? Just listen to that crisp triangle.

The highs are highs man and the lows are low.

Just like life.

I will let you know this and I am not bragging because I never made it big in a rock band but I play to "Hemispheres" every night on my drum kit when I get home from work.

I have all the correct equipment to play this album except for the bells in "Circumstances."

I am serious Rush Forum Friends and Family.

Playing to Rush albums on my drums is keeping me balanced and sane.

I would rather play my drums every night than be with a woman.

Well I got my wish right to those who know me?

I am paying for my freedom and it is worth the price.

"Something For Nothing" is fun to play to as well.

I would love to start a real Rush Tribute Band but I don't want to break down my big kit every weekend.

Right or wrong?

Mom? What did I tell you about getting on the internet when you haven't taken your meds?