AFTK album - group photo location?

LeChuck

I've always wondered where the group photo from the AFTK album was shot. I would've guessed Rockfield Studios in Wales - although from looking at photos and tour videos of that place, I don't see anything resembling this. Anyone happen to ever read where this photo was taken?

Also, is this considered the liner or sleeve photo? I know it's not really on the sleeve, and is next to the liner notes .. but the wording describes a 'sleeve photograph' and 'liner photos', which is confusing. I was going to attempt to contact the photographer if nobody knows the location.

(I love visiting movie and album locations - would love to get a photo in this spot someday if it still exists)

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/albums/afarewelltokings-1.jpg

• Like 5

Good question

I have always loved that photo, as it is the first album I bought .. I cannot imagine it was one of their homes as they were only a year or so removed from the Down The Tubes tour

• Like 2

Good question

I have always loved that photo, as it is the first album I bought .. I cannot imagine it was one of their homes as they were only a year or so removed from the Down The Tubes tour

Same here. First one I bought as well. Cool picture. Does look like it could be some old house in Wales.

• Like 2

I remember looking at this when I was about 15 and convincing myself (and anyone else who would listen!) that they were in Geddy's house... or Al's or Neil's... They were HUGE rock stars to a 15 year old, so they "just had to be" millionaires! But, I suppose it wasn't long after this photo was taken that the boys easily could afford nice homes. And, cars...

I forgot to say, that I remember reading somewhere (years ago) that the photo was taken somewhere in England, likely close to where they AFTK albums was recorded in Wales.
  • Like 1

Both Neil and Alex look like they could have been pulled out of a historical drama. Ged says no way, I'm wearing my white t shirt and monster shoes. :D
  • Like 3

Good question

I don't think they really got out of debt until Moving Pictures.

• Like 1

Geddy with the fresh white Detroit Tigers boots.

I would destroy this forum if it meant I had the CHANCE!!! to sniff those shoes
  • Like 1

From looking at pictures of the studio I would say it's probably not there. Maybe some house close by?

If you go on google maps you'll see it's quite a large estate. However, I'm not convinced either. They went to Advision studios in London afterwards so the possibilities are endless.

I've emailed Fin Costello (cos I'm a nerd, OK?) but I'm not holding my breath for a reply.

• Like 4

From looking at pictures of the studio I would say it's probably not there. Maybe some house close by?

If you go on google maps you'll see it's quite a large estate. However, I'm not convinced either. They went to Advision studios in London afterwards so the possibilities are endless.

I've emailed Fin Costello (cos I'm a nerd, OK?) but I'm not holding my breath for a reply.

Good luck. Hopefully if you get a response he remembers where it was.

The photo was taken in June 1977 at Buckingham Palace on the occasion of Queen Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee celebration, where they were in attendance as official representatives of Canada. They also entertained Her Majesty with the first live performance of the title track from their forthcoming album A Farewell To Kings ;) Edited by Enemy Within
  • Like 1

The photo was taken in June 1977 at Buckingham Palace on the occasion of Queen Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee celebration, where they were in attendance as official representatives of Canada. They also entertained Her Majesty with the first live performance of the title track from their forthcoming album A Farewell To Kings ;)

Fantastic, where did you find that info? It does resemble a view out the garden side of the palace (possibly from the balcony). Haven't found any doors/archways yet that match .. not sure if they remodeled any of that since 1977 (I'm guessing not).

The quest continues ..

Actually, I just remembered... that photo was taken at my Gramma's house in Ontario... and for $1,000 I'll walk you through it, full tour, and I'll show where (exactly where) Geddy once took a pee in the bushes out back.

The photo was taken in June 1977 at Buckingham Palace on the occasion of Queen Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee celebration, where they were in attendance as official representatives of Canada. They also entertained Her Majesty with the first live performance of the title track from their forthcoming album A Farewell To Kings ;)

Fantastic, where did you find that info? It does resemble a view out the garden side of the palace (possibly from the balcony). Haven't found any doors/archways yet that match .. not sure if they remodeled any of that since 1977 (I'm guessing not).

The quest continues ..

:facepalm:

• Like 6

Regardless of the photo, the recording of Cygnus X-1 must have caused quite a disturbance in the quiet English countryside. Frightened wild animals, killed fish in the nearby lake, etc.
  • Like 1

The quest continues ..

:facepalm:

Don't worry, I was 99.9% sure that post was a joke (esp. when it got to Rush performing for the Queen) .. the 0.1% holding out was only because Buckingham Palace's rear balcony actually does have a wall that looks just like the one in the photo. Can't say I've got any better leads, even if that one sounds ridiculous.

• Like 1

I got a reply:

Hi Tony, I didn't do that one as I was working with Aerosmith and unable to go to England at the time. I recommended Roger Stowell who shot the band at Clearwell Castle in Wiltshire where they rehearsed before going to Wales to Record. I came over at the mixing and shot the PR picture used for the promotion.

Regards, fin

So Clearwell Castle.

• Like 10