ANOTHER NEW ORIGINAL TOPIC, never been discussed, does TRF enhance your appreciation of NEIL PEART or cause you to LOATHE HIM???

JohnRogers

Love Neil more or loathe him more?   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Has spending time at TRF increased your admiration of Neil Peart or do you admire him less?

• Love and admire him more!
    • I now find him to be a loathsome creature and wish I never found this forum.
    • I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend
    • Matters not I'm all aboot Geddy. I want to be a Geddy Lee meat sandwich.
    • Matters not I just admire Alex Lifeson's large hands.

neil presents a highly unlikeable persona in his books and on his blog. doesn't stop me from loving his work with RUSH.

I dont agree with this at all. Another case of projecting your feelings into him.

no, it's a case of me giving my opinion of the way he presents himself in his writings.

Yes. Your subjective opinion.

Strange because when I insult you you are pretty certain that I'm an asshole. When Peart's writings attack us "the fans" or fat people or people of faith or organised religion then we have to reserve judgement. Um ok?

I'm not denying I'm an arsehole btw.

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/pictures/regulars/fat-tony-3.png

I like you. I don't know whether to smack you on your kisser or kiss you on your smacker.

nazi.jpg

neil presents a highly unlikeable persona in his books and on his blog. doesn't stop me from loving his work with RUSH.

I dont agree with this at all. Another case of projecting your feelings into him.

no, it's a case of me giving my opinion of the way he presents himself in his writings.

Strange because when I insult you you are pretty certain that I'm an asshole. When Peart's writings attack us "the fans" or fat people or people of faith or organised religion then we have to reserve judgement. Um ok?

See wht happens when you make assumptions. You make an ass out of an umi. Btw I would never deny your right to be an asshole.

Nothing on this page influenced my opinion. He's the greatest drummer ever and a good lyricist (he gets a pass for TFE.) However...the way he demeans the common man during his road trip in "Ghost Rider" really makes me question if he is someone I'd like personally. I think for someone who wrote "Limelight," he sure let fame and fortune go to his head.
  • Like 3

He is who he is.... appreciate his drumming and his role in the band... but he and I see many things very differently.

He will never have to worry about me running up to him because of who he is, I am pretty sure I would never want to engage him in a conversation (I gave his books a try lol!)

• Like 1

I think that's the definition of "opinion", DD

Yes a pretty narrow version of it sure.

If he feels that way I'm not in a position to stop him. I Just people to be honest with themselves.

If he feels that way I'm not in a position to stop him. I Just people to be honest with themselves.

what's a broader version of opinion?

and who is being dishonest with themselves?

i find your statements to be puzzling.

• Like 1

We are strangers to each other, each one's life a novel no one else has read. That's where opinions originate.

We are strangers to each other, each one's life a novel no one else has read. That's where opinions originate.

thanks for clearing that up, that was enlightening

Fair enough. I am just challenging peoples opinions here. If thats the way you feel about him who am I to change your mind.

Just lets make sure the opinon is based on factual evidence and not just ad hominem attacks.

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/pictures/regulars/fat-tony-3.png

I like you. I don't know whether to smack you on your kisser or kiss you on your smacker.

I thought the former is what YOU normally do before the latter.

Fair enough. I am just challenging peoples opinions here. If thats the way you feel about him who am I to change your mind.

Just lets make sure the opinon is based on factual evidence and not just ad hominem attacks.

i said that neil presents an unlikeable person in his books and his blog. that is my opinion of neil based on what he writes about himself in his own words. i'm not sure if you consider that factual evidence or not.

i said that neil presents an unlikeable person in his books and his blog. that is my opinion of neil based on what he writes about himself in his own words. i'm not sure if you consider that factual evidence or not.

Presenting an unlikeable person is a subjective opinion. Its is an opinion held by you but not necessarily everyone. The key word here is "presenting". It is not a fact, it is your belief that he presents an unlikeable person. It IS a fact that you hold this opinion of him.

Presenting an unlikeable person is a subjective opinion. Its is an opinion held by you but not necessarily everyone. The key word here is "presenting". It is not a fact, it is your belief that he presents an unlikeable person. It IS a fact that you hold this opinion of him.

I am all for evidence-based opinions but I think Anthemic's point is that not liking Neil's writings is just as evidence-based as liking them. They're all subjective opinions.

I am all for evidence-based opinions but I think Anthemic's point is that not liking Neil's writings is just as evidence-based as liking them. They're all subjective opinions.

Jeez, is this still ongoing? The evidence he is using is from Neil's own book. A book he had time to think about and edit so it's not like judgment is being passed on an off the cuff remark. In his books he mocks different groups of people which put some people off. What more do you want?

this is exactly my point, thank you.

based on what Neil has written about himself in his own words i think he is a dick. didital dad has read the same words and thinks neil is a great guy. both of these opinions are based on exactly the same set of evidence (so to say). they are equally valid and neither is more or less factual than the other.

• Like 1

I admired Neil more the less I knew aboot him. As I learn nuggets aboot Geddy and Alex my opinion if it changes tends to be positive.