New Neil update

EagleMoon

When, years ago, I first learned that Neil went from gig to gig on a motorcycle, I was surprised that he was allowed to. When I say allowed to, I mean by the insurance company that underwrites the tour. Also, I wonder if Neil's management and band mates tried to talk him out of it. Such a huge risk... an accident could affect many, many people who are relying on Neil to play the shows. Many millions of dollars. I guess he just wouldn't tour if he had to ride a bus or plane...

I think it is kind of naive to think the insurance didn't know he rode from show to show.....

I used to live around where he crashed, those roads can be treacherous in a car let alone a motorcycle, and it isn't because of gravel in the road...

When, years ago, I first learned that Neil went from gig to gig on a motorcycle, I was surprised that he was allowed to. When I say allowed to, I mean by the insurance company that underwrites the tour. Also, I wonder if Neil's management and band mates tried to talk him out of it. Such a huge risk... an accident could affect many, many people who are relying on Neil to play the shows. Many millions of dollars. I guess he just wouldn't tour if he had to ride a bus or plane...

I think he stayed away from metro suburban areas, kept the bikes on the truck til they got to the ole Route 66.

Perhaps if he chose to drum more and bike less, he could "insure" more time with his family.

Jeez, he just can't avoid coming across as a jerk. Only in America (I assume he means United States) are there people that ride without hundreds or thousands of dollars of protective gear in his world. Also, nothing is apparently ever his fault. The completely imagined road crew from the previous Friday caused it.
  • Like 1

Interesting story. Yeah, he was very lucky to avoid more serious injury. And I loved the quote about surviving motorcycling (make sure something else kills you first).

Last line of the article sounds like another subtle hint that he's done playing live.

Yeah I would say so too.

except that it wasn't subtle. I hate the way he calls Geddy & Alex "the Guys at Work"

I like it. why does it bother you?

When Peter Tork left the Monkees, Mike Nesmith bought him a gold watch and had it inscribed, "From the Guys At Work". Its meant to be tounge in cheek thats all.

I agree D-Dad.

It's just another term of affection he has for them. In the real world I rarely call my brothers "brothers". I say "B-Boys" ((that is, "Blaze")). Rush has already said in interviews that they've got a million nicknames for each other. That generally comes through countless, close experiences with one another. Hell, some the B-Boys' nicknames include "Thunderhead", "Duke", "Filipino Beef", "The Man Who Can Make Jell-O Crunch", and "Clockwork Orange". Nobody outside of family would know what they all mean. Additionally, anyone outside of family hearing it by chance might think a few are even disrespectful. The exact opposite actually. I take it the same goes for Peart when he refers to Geddy & Alex as "The Guys at Work".

I agree completely. I always saw this term as a fun way to refer to G & A that everyone would get.

• Like 2

Jeez, he just can't avoid coming across as a jerk. Only in America (I assume he means United States) are there people that ride without hundreds or thousands of dollars of protective gear in his world. Also, nothing is apparently ever his fault. The completely imagined road crew from the previous Friday caused it.

He marveled at there not being a single car on the road the whole time they were loading the bike, yet thinks the road crew should have been aware of the danger of a motorcycle hitting the patch job before it had fully cured.

• Like 1

http://cdn.hypervocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/mr_magoo_2.jpg

He marveled at there not being a single car on the road the whole time they were loading the bike, yet thinks the road crew should have been aware of the danger of a motorcycle hitting the patch job before it had fully cured.

Wow, you guys are both overly critical. I'm sorry if you don't like Neil but not everyone feels the way you do.

• Like 1

Wow, you guys are both overly critical. I'm sorry if you don't like Neil but not everyone feels the way you do.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Like 2

The bike was still running and his "rain jacket" was not even torn

Sounds like ol' Neil forgot to put the kickstand down before getting off the bike

What do you ride?

seriously, when I was 12 I got my first bike - a Honda XL75 ... That was the 1970s ......... I only ride dirt bikes, as my sister was hit while on the back of a bike by someone who ran a red light - that was an awful phone call, but she survived and is fine now - 20 years later

I have a Honda CR 500 and love it

I'm happy your sister is fine. I'm sure the experience was unsettling for her. I love to ride and I hope it never causes pain for the people in my life (or me).

I wish you well.

• Like 1

That night in Pittsburgh I got through the show okay, limping on and off stage but able to play “properly,” so that no one else would know. A few days later I shared the story with the Guys at Work, but still, for the next five years I kept my resolve never to write about that crash. Until the time might come when I no longer worried about anybody taking away my “fun license.”

Wow, way to guilt trip your fans and guilt trip Ged and Al for supposedly "forcing you against your will" to do the R40 tour.

And I also agree with gypsy muse in the fact that I don't like his outright refusal to acknowledge Geddy and Alex by name, which leads me to believe that Neil isn't happy with either of them for making him tour, and you know what? If he feels that way, So be it. We can't force him to do shit he doesn't want to do.

If Neil's site had a forum, I'd bet a million dollars that he'd IP ban people for even mentioning the words "Geddy", "Alex" and "Rush".

Edited by fraroc

That night in Pittsburgh I got through the show okay, limping on and off stage but able to play “properly,” so that no one else would know. A few days later I shared the story with the Guys at Work, but still, for the next five years I kept my resolve never to write about that crash. Until the time might come when I no longer worried about anybody taking away my “fun license.”

Wow, way to guilt trip your fans and guilt trip Ged and Al for supposedly "forcing you against your will" to do the R40 tour.

And I also agree with gypsy muse in the fact that I don't like his outright refusal to acknowledge Geddy and Alex by name, which leads me to believe that Neil isn't happy with either of them for making him tour, and you know what? If he feels that way, So be it. We can't force him to do shit he doesn't want to do.

If Neil's site had a forum, I'd bet a million dollars that he'd IP ban people for even mentioning the words "Geddy", "Alex" and "Rush".

Oh for goodness sake you are such an idiot about Neil.

He has said nothing wrong. This is his life and he means well.

• Like 6

"From Neil .....If you love motorcycling enough, and you do it enough, it's going to kill you..... The trick is to survive long enough that something else kills you"

Good point Neil. :rose: :rose:

Edited by Chicken hawk

You know what? We should pick apart every sentence to find hidden meanings. Just read it and take the story at face value, jeez

It's kind of hard to do that when someone (and I know Neil is a decent creative writer), uses tons of metaphors and pontificates about everything.

Note to x1yyz: now this is someone who really doesn't like Neil!

Edited by JARG

Where did either of us say that everyone feels like we do or should feel like we do? The world is full of different people with different opinions. You are certainly entitled to yours, whatever it is.

• Like 1

You know what? We should pick apart every sentence to find hidden meanings. Just read it and take the story at face value, jeez

It's kind of hard to do that when someone (and I know Neil is a decent creative writer), uses tons of metaphors and pontificates about everything.

He uses metaphors in songs, his books are very literal....