Headphones

Day of Light

What sort of sound do you prefer? Bass heavy? Flat?

What headphones would you recommend for us home-recording folk? Let's assume money is an issue. :)

If you were asking me, I'd go with what made ME happy, but could also afford.

Why would I go with what made YOU happy?

Edited by JARG

For anyone interested in a versatile, well rounded headphone for the price:

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Image-ONE-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0096QYNRA

http://cdn.eglobalcentral.com/images/thumbnails/12/300/300/klipsch-image-one-ii-stereo-headphone-black.jpg

I have the same pair in black, and I absolutely love them. The sound is full and rich, they offer good isolation, without being too cumbersome. They are comfortable to wear, and come with a nice carrying case, making them easily portable.

You can find them used on ebay for a lot cheaper. But for brand new ones, $60 is a good price.

Edited by KenJennings

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 219 which are only like £30 (not sure about $, sorry) and they're pretty good especially for the price. No in line volume controls or anything but they're they're good quality and really comfortable :)

I almost prefer them without in-line anyway. It seems like a weak point for headphones, especially if they get knocked around a lot. My current pair is failing because of it.

If you can open the control housing, you might try spraying a little electrical contact cleaner in there and working the volume controller up and down. Also, compressed air (canned kind with the red straw) to blow out dust, etc. Both of these can be bought at Radio Shack or any electronics / hardware store. As a last resort, if you are handy with a soldering iron, you could remove the controller completely and try re-splicing the cord leads - but those are very fine wire. Always nice if you can fix an old appliance, but don't let that stop you from getting an upgraded set of 'phones if that is your true desire! ;)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned - 'open' vs 'closed'. Generally speaking, 'closed' (monitor style) phones are good for noisy environments or not disturbing others with your music while 'open' will have a better soundstage.

Ideally, take your favorite CD (there are 20 to choose from, of course) to a hi-fi shop where you can do test comparisons. Caution: This can be extremely damaging to your bank account. :LOL:

• Like 1

I've been using the Audio-Technica M50s (the older ones without the detachable cord) for awhile now and they're my favorite headphones I've ever had. They were around $130 when I got them, but there's also the M40s which are around $90. I've never tried those personally, but I can't imagine they'd suck.

I have those too. I prefer my Sennheisers but the AT M50 is a decent can for the price. I use The Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 for portable. My main headphones for at home are my HD 700's. I have the HD650's as well.The 650 and 700 require an amp for their best performance. The Momentums are fine with out but do sing more when amped too. The Momentums are closed and the 650 and 700 are open. All are circumarual which means they cover the ears rather than sit on them. I find on ear phones irritating. These are all more than the budget Day of Light has but if you are ever ready for an audiophile upgrade you may want to consider them. They are all pretty neutral in their sound signature. I am sold on Sennheisers.

Edited by catherine
  • Like 2

What headphones would you recommend for us home-recording folk? Let's assume money is an issue. :)

I'm another ATH M50 fan, been using them as my primary headphones for a couple years now. Deep and rich sound, perfect for tracking and casual listening/mixing. My Sennheiser HD600 are flat and perfect for mixing when I can't use my monitors. The rest of my headphone adventures can be found here:

http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/gear-reviews-and-questions/hd600-v-focal-spirit-pro-v-dt770-v-blue-mo-fi-v-ath-m50-mixing-headphone-review-379095/

If I were to recommend a ~$100 USD pair of headphones, it would be the Sennheiser HD280. Nothing at the $100 mark comes close. And they don't require a dedicated headphone amp (neither do the ATH M50s).

• Like 2

I wouldn't say I'm particularly an audiophile. I want a balanced sound. The sort that sounds like it's supposed to. I remember really enjoying my Steelseries Siberia before I broke it, which (to my ears) is more bass-heavy than other headphones, but not overwhelmingly.

Most of the headphones I've tried are gaming headsets, fault of me being a young aspiring gamer since I could buy my own stuff. I don't know if it's helpful to state that I don't like pretty much any of the Logitech or Razer headsets. They sound off to me. I don't know what that corresponds to in the world of real headphones.

You won't get audiophool quality for under ~$100 anyway, so it's a good thing you're not! :P

Gaming headphones will always pale when compared to music industry targeted models. Since you don't have a particular need/preference, the HD280 would be fine.

• Like 2

I don't like headphones, I prefer to hear the sound in the air and feel it resonating off the walls and the ceiling.

That is why I prefer open phones with an amp. They have a big soundstage. I get better instrument differentiation on my HD 700's than my tower speakers. But that is probably for a couple of reasons. 1) audiophile speakers are way out of my budget; I bought the best I could afford at the time though and 2) I can't listen at a comparable volume on my speakers to what I can on my headphones due to other people in my house who, ahem, lack the proper appreciation for my weird proggy music. :laughing guy:

• Like 3

If you were asking me, I'd go with what made ME happy, but could also afford.

Why would I go with what made YOU happy?

I said to go with what makes YOU happy. Don't wanna take my advice? Oh well! :P Don't want advice, don't ask for it! LOL

I don't like headphones, I prefer to hear the sound in the air and feel it resonating off the walls and the ceiling.

That is why I prefer open phones with an amp. They have a big soundstage. I get better instrument differentiation on my HD 700's than my tower speakers. But that is probably for a couple of reasons. 1) audiophile speakers are way out of my budget; I bought the best I could afford at the time though and 2) I can't listen at a comparable volume on my speakers to what I can on my headphones due to other people in my house who, ahem, lack the proper appreciation for my weird proggy music. :laughing guy:

Luckily I don't have that problem. :AlienSmiley:

• Like 1

This thread is making me feel stupid. I just use whatever ear buds are handy. I listen through my phone mostly.

Head phones tend to hurt my ears, is this just me?

I liked that bass heavy option. Where would I go for something like that. Best buy?

I can recommend the Sennheiser HD 201, they go for around 20 bucks, but are very good for that price. I had them for long until I upgraded to the HD 800, which I got for 1300€ at the time. Crazy upgrade I know, but the sound is just unbelievable. Such a huge soundstage, perfect imaging and incredible detail. Just out of this world and even in the same price range unmatched imo from those I've tested. Stax SR-009 are said to be even better, but they are triple the price and need dac/amp combo for around the same money, so that's a bit too much.
  • Like 1

For my boom box at work I use a pair of Skull Candy Uproars that do a great job. Not sure what would happen if I plugged them into the 120 watt receiver at home, may blow them up. But they were a decent price, and the do the job.

For my boom box at work I use a pair of Skull Candy Uproars that do a great job. Not sure what would happen if I plugged them into the 120 watt receiver at home, may blow them up. But they were a decent price, and they do the job.

I have Shure headphones that my younger brother sent to me for my birthday last year. He works for them, so he got them for half price, I think. But it's safe to say they're high end, in terms of cost. I like them, but I'm not sure they're worth the premium.

I had a pair of Sonys before that, that I got for $40 or something, that I liked just as much.

• Like 1

I'm another ATH M50 fan, been using them as my primary headphones for a couple years now. Deep and rich sound, perfect for tracking and casual listening/mixing. My Sennheiser HD600 are flat and perfect for mixing when I can't use my monitors. The rest of my headphone adventures can be found here:

http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/gear-reviews-and-questions/hd600-v-focal-spirit-pro-v-dt770-v-blue-mo-fi-v-ath-m50-mixing-headphone-review-379095/

If I were to recommend a ~$100 USD pair of headphones, it would be the Sennheiser HD280. Nothing at the $100 mark comes close. And they don't require a dedicated headphone amp (neither do the ATH M50s).

They're scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. Thanks for the recommendation!

I am a cheap old tart.

I have a £6 pair of earphones and they are enough for me.

*I am aware of the vast sound quality difference*

I am a cheap old tart.

I have a £6 pair of earphones and they are enough for me.

*I am aware of the vast sound quality difference*

Not sure if you guys get monoprice of there, but if you do get a pair of 8320's. Buy some replacement tips and do the burn in. These cheap buds sound like an 80 dollar set. Srs. Even if you think im wrong and they suck they are 8 bucks

• Like 1