Jethro Tull

Cygnus 2112

There is a lot of stuff, Aqualung, Benefit and Stand Up are a must and from the 80's Crest of a Knave is awesome, Catfish Rising is a very funky album, Roots to Branches and Rock Island are also very good, don't forget the 70's Songs from the Woods album.. Enjoy

With the passing of Keith Emerson, I have gone back into a bit of a prog kick. I just listened to Thick As A Brick and it is beautiful. Where do I go from here with Jethro Tull?

Everyhing from This Was to Minstrel.

And beyond.

From the 80's I like everything up until Crest...then it severely tapers off. They get a bit more bluesy which is fine for their early stuff, but they increasingly sounded more and more like Dire Straits...which is fine. For Dire Straits. ;)

At one point I must have really loved SFTW and Horses, but those albums seem dated to me. TOTRAR is hit and miss but it has some great stuff. Never been a fan of Stormwatch.

If you want another wild 40 minute song, I'd say A Passion Play

I may like A Passion Play better than Thick as a Brick but what day is it ? They're both fantastic

• Like 1

If you want another wild 40 minute song, I'd say A Passion Play

I may like A Passion Play better than Thick as a Brick but what day is it ? They're both fantastic

I like the Chateu Disaster more than APP. Brick may be my favorite Tull.bum.

I'm an old fan :codger: and saw many Jethro Tull shows in the NY/NJ/PA area since Aqualung but APP was my favorite concert. JT/Mistrel tour with UFO was good too !!!

Some of my JT concert memorbilia. My buddy had front row at MSG for one of the shows but I cannot remember which show the picture was taken at.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/IMG_5762_zpscf2aa569.jpg

• Like 4

I'd recommend Aqualung, Songs From the Wood, and The Broadsword and the Beast

These are probably my favourite Tull albums too, closely followed by Minstrel in the Gallery, TAAB and Stormwatch but I don't think they have released a bad album.
  • Like 2

I love Tull and I miss now Martin Barre: his guitar sound is one of my favourites among six strings and I have always found it a band trademark like Ian Anderson's flute.
  • Like 3

I love Tull and I miss now Martin Barre: his guitar sound is one of my favourites among six strings and I have always found it a band trademark like Ian Anderson's flute.

Two of my favorite Martin Barre sounds:

His electric sound here... simple but powerful

http://youtu.be/gNayAdfuWU0

• Like 3

I love all Tull except for much of 'A' and 'Under Wraps', those did less for me.

Otherwise the variety and writing is impressive throughout.

If you loved Thick go with Passion if you like the long suites. Minstrel is possibly the closest comparison musically, but they really do different things each album>

My favorites are Songs From the Wood, Heavy Horses, and War Child.

• Like 1

I love all Tull except for much of 'A' and 'Under Wraps', those did less for me.

If you loved Thick go with Passion if you like the long suites. Minstrel is possibly the closest comparison musically, but they really do different things each album>

yes A Passion Play. The Steven Wilson remix sounds awesome.

Also the Steven Wilson remixes of

Stand Up

Benefit

Aqualung

• Like 1

A and Under Wraps are very good imo.

• Like 2

A and Under Wraps are very good imo.

I tried and tried.

:)

Actually, it's been a long time and as I get older I like more and more music. So maybe it's time to try them both again.

Out of curiosity, if compelled to, what Tull albums do you like least?

A lot of people don't like Broadsword at all, but I love that one.

You know what, I'm such a Tull fan and it's been so long, I think I'll go listen to those albums right now.

I like liking music much more than not liking it. :)