Keith Emerson has died

Wil1972

Oh give me a break dude. The headline completely miscontrues the details of the story. He wasnt trolled to death by his fans. You may be more naive than I thought you were

• Like 2

People who tend to be creative also tend to be rather emotional and often their creativity is an outlet for some sort of mental illness or trauma.

Creativity is "often" an outlet for mental illness or trauma? I have never seen, read or heard anything that would support such a claim.

One could easily argue that highly creative people have "problems" because the rest of us are too slow or repressed to accomodate their genius.

I'm living proof of that creativity rule. I imagine I'm not the only one.

• Like 1

Old Keith rumors:

Keith replacing Wakeman in Yes:

http://somethingelse...emerson-to-yes/

Then there's the one of Hendrix joining ELP and calling the band HELP. That would have imploded due to virtuoso overload and contrasting styles. Mitch Mitchell was possibly going to be the drummer before they jammed with Carl Palmer and settled on Carl.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet

The Daily Mail is a trash magazine, like The National Enquirer. Don't believe anything they put out there.

• Like 1

[Glad to see people checking this music out (even if it's an unintended consequence.) It's been a huge part of my life for many years but never seemed to translate to newer generations like say Yes or King Crimson or Pink Floyd.]

Hmmmm. I see what you mean to some extent anyway. I would put Genesis in that first group too though. Anyway, ELP sold a lot more albums than King Crimson but KC seem to have some kind of hipster street cred these days that ELP doesn't. I think maybe a lot of people just see ELP as bloated and full of themselves and for that reason can't take them too seriously. It's a shame because they made some great music at one point even if it was a bit over the top but hey that's really what progressive rock was about back then and they were just an extreme example of that. I'm actually not so sure that even YES has translated to the newer generation of prog fans(if there even is such a thing and I suppose there is but they are probably listening to mostly newer stuff anyway). Anyway, it is sad news and also sad that sometimes it takes a tragic event like this for someone to discover an artists music.

I don't think they really got full of themselves until they decided on that Love Beach cover.(The music on it is still good, but you could say the damage was done.) ELP didn't do much after 1979 to move their ball forward either. I think three of the four post '79 studio albums were good, but they didn't do a lot for their profile other than to keep reissuing the same albums over and over again. I wish they would have played live a lot more two but I guess we have a bit more insight as to why that never happened now. Even at less than half-speed, this was a pretty incredible band and I don't think anyone else was able to crack mainstream rock with their style.

The money was pouring in during the late '70s and Fripp seems cognizant enough about the art to remove Crimson from the equation. I didn't know Crimson had "hipster cred" but maybe associating your work with Steven Wilson will do that (I don't know.)

[Glad to see people checking this music out (even if it's an unintended consequence.) It's been a huge part of my life for many years but never seemed to translate to newer generations like say Yes or King Crimson or Pink Floyd.]

Hmmmm. I see what you mean to some extent anyway. I would put Genesis in that first group too though. Anyway, ELP sold a lot more albums than King Crimson but KC seem to have some kind of hipster street cred these days that ELP doesn't. I think maybe a lot of people just see ELP as bloated and full of themselves and for that reason can't take them too seriously. It's a shame because they made some great music at one point even if it was a bit over the top but hey that's really what progressive rock was about back then and they were just an extreme example of that. I'm actually not so sure that even YES has translated to the newer generation of prog fans(if there even is such a thing and I suppose there is but they are probably listening to mostly newer stuff anyway). Anyway, it is sad news and also sad that sometimes it takes a tragic event like this for someone to discover an artists music.

I don't think they really got full of themselves until they decided on that Love Beach cover.(The music on it is still good, but you could say the damage was done.) ELP didn't do much after 1979 to move their ball forward either. I think three of the four post '79 studio albums were good, but they didn't do a lot for their profile other than to keep reissuing the same albums over and over again. I wish they would have played live a lot more two but I guess we have a bit more insight as to why that never happened now. Even at less than half-speed, this was a pretty incredible band and I don't think anyone else was able to crack mainstream rock with their style.

I think they were brilliant until the Works projects. Then it splintered. Egos will do that. But their debut, Tarkus, Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery are magical.

That isn't to say there aren't good tracks on Works or Love Beach, but I think they lost something. It was a watered down ELP, and something was missing. I know Keith bemoaned the fact that other prog rock acts were able to transition over to mainstream success, a la Genesis, Yes, and they were not able to make that transition. I think he was bitter of that fact to a degree, but maybe I am reading too much into that. I don't know if that played into why those later albums are lackluster (to me anyway).

Edited by Wil1972

I guess being a virtuoso keyboard player was his whole identity as a human being. So when his abilities decayed through physical decline he didn't know who or what he was going to be anymore and he didn't want to find out or face being someone who wasn't a virtuoso keyboard player anymore.
  • Like 1

I think they were brilliant until the Works projects. Then it splintered. Egos will do that. But their debut, Tarkus, Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery are magical.

That isn't to say there aren't good tracks on Works or Love Beach, but I think they lost something. It was a watered down ELP, and something was missing. I know Keith bemoaned the fact that other prog rock acts were able to transition over to mainstream success, a la Genesis, Yes, and they were not able to make that transition. I think he was bitter of that fact to a degree, but maybe I am reading too much into that. I don't know if that played into why those later albums are lackluster (to me anyway).

They really didn't adapt or adjust like say Rush, Yes, or Genesis.

Who has the balls to release an album like Emerson, Lake and Powell in 1986? I love the album myself,(They were great on that tour too!) but where is the audience for that? I just listened to that album last month actually.

I think it really got watered down in the '90s, but then with Emerson's nerve problems it kind of had to get watered down.

I want to hear more ELP. Will buy them I think...I already started so I shall continue...I love their artwork.

I want to hear more ELP. Will buy them I think...I already started so I shall continue...I love their artwork.

You can't miss with those first four studio albums they did. Good stuff. Good production too -- Eddie Offord, who worked with Yes early on, also worked with them.

Edited by Wil1972

You can't miss with those first four studio albums they did. Good stuff. Good production too -- Eddie Offord, who worked with Yes early on, also worked with them.

I really like them, and Brain Salad Surgery is becoming a surprise hit with me lately.

I really like them, and Brain Salad Surgery is becoming a surprise hit with me lately.

Trilogy and Tarkus are amazing
  • Like 2

I remember back in 1994 (I think?) ELP played in Thunder Bay, Ontario... that's right, I said, THUNDER ABY, ONTARIO, in a theatre that holds 1500. I couldn't believe it... ELP in a small northern Canadian city? I was fourth in line to buy tickets a month or two before the show day. At the show I was shocked that there were only about 800 people there. They were incredible... Carl's drum solo was so good, I had a hard time even knowing what he was doing and I've been playing drums all my life.
  • Like 1

I remember back in 1994 (I think?) ELP played in Thunder Bay, Ontario... that's right, I said, THUNDER ABY, ONTARIO, in a theatre that holds 1500. I couldn't believe it... ELP in a small northern Canadian city? I was fourth in line to buy tickets a month or two before the show day. At the show I was shocked that there were only about 800 people there. They were incredible... Carl's drum solo was so good, I had a hard time even knowing what he was doing and I've been playing drums all my life.

Carl's drum solo is still great.

By the way, He turns 65 tomorrow....

Carl's drum solo is still great.

By the way, He turns 65 tomorrow....

WOW. That was amazing.

Neil's drum solos were always really fluid, graceful and pretty for lack of a better word as he got older. Even when he was younger, Neil always tried to put some style and flair into his solos.

Now Karl, that dude just went out and beat the shit out of his drums in the most precise, loud and obnoxious manner possible, and all while using traditional grip. His solos were never pretty, but they showed just how damn fast he was, how precise he was and volatile his playing was.

I loved Rush and ELP growing up and Neil and Karl were my idols, with Karl being the guy I actually admired more. Neil plays a more beautiful style of drum and I think he has more creativity with his instruments, but if you put those two men side by side and had them play five songs, Neil could never keep up with Karl. He was a lightning bolt as a young man, even when Neil was a much more nimble player, and even now, Karl is still capable of playing like he did when he was 30. Maybe not 22, but certainly 30. I don't think Neil is and has been for a long time. It's not to discount Neil one bit, two different styles and different levels of natural ability.

Edited by satchmothesnowdog
  • Like 2

Neil's drum solos were always really fluid, graceful and pretty for lack of a better word as he got older. Even when he was younger, Neil always tried to put some style and flair into his solos.

Now Karl, that dude just went out and beat the shit out of his drums in the most precise, loud and obnoxious manner possible, and all while using traditional grip. His solos were never pretty, but they showed just how damn fast he was, how precise he was and volatile his playing was.

I loved Rush and ELP growing up and Neil and Karl were my idols, with Karl being the guy I actually admired more. Neil plays a more beautiful style of drum and I think he has more creativity with his instruments, but if you put those two men side by side and had them play five songs, Neil could never keep up with Karl. He was a lightning bolt as a young man, even when Neil was a much more nimble player, and even now, Karl is still capable of playing like he did when he was 30. Maybe not 22, but certainly 30. I don't think Neil is and has been for a long time. It's not to discount Neil one bit, two different styles and different levels of natural ability.

Yes, agreed. Carl is one of the very best technically skilled rock drummers out there. Neil's best asset (of many!) is his grace and creativity. His drums really are musical instruments.

• Like 3

Yes, agreed. Carl is one of the very best technically skilled rock drummers out there. Neil's best asset (of many!) is his grace and creativity. His drums really are musical instruments.

Neil strikes me as more of an inventive player, rather than creative. The difference being that his parts seem very carefully planned out, as opposed to inspired by the moment.
  • Like 2

Neil and Carl may have totally different styles, but they are two of my favorite drummers. Carl got a lot of his style from Buddy Rich. I wonder if Palmer and Rich ever met.

From http://www.carlpalmer.com/carl-bio.php

"His biggest influences from that point forward were Krupa and drum legend Buddy Rich who would later become a close personal friend of Carl’s."

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1