Keith Emerson has died

Wil1972

What the hell is going on this year??

The Classic Rock Era is coming to an end. The greatest musicians of our generation are retiring.....or dying.

The Circle Of Life continues, whether we like it or not. :huh: :huh:

LONG LIVE ROCK!! :haz: :haz: :haz:

"Long Live Rock?" Yeah, right...

More like RIP Rock.

"LONG LIVE ROCK!!!!"

I need it everyday...........................

• Like 2

It was after David Bowie died: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/94528-what-made-you-sad-today/page__st__480. I thought I had make the remark there, but it must have been elsewhere. In any event, a partial list is there.

Oh thanks, blame me will ya? :LOL:

The Classic Rock Era is coming to an end. The greatest musicians of our generation are retiring.....or dying.

More like RIP Rock.

Are you ever not a drama queen?

at least he's not blaming Keith's suicide for breaking up ELP Edited by satchmothesnowdog
  • Like 1

More like RIP Rock.

Are you ever not a drama queen?

at least he's not blaming Keith's suicide for breaking up ELP

Yeah that ship had sailed.

It's so weird. I have no desire to pull out any of it. I stared at the Murderock soundtrack for a sec (not his best effort) before stopping myself.

I hope this 'no music' thing passes soon. I was actually enjoying cranking Black 47 Live in NYC last night until I found out it was likely a suicide. Felt like a bucket of cold water.

Cranked up Tarkus from Welcome Back.Sheer genius.That extended solo on Aquatarkus is mind blowing.I wish I had kept up my piano lessons when i was younger, I may have written a piano concerto or two, or throwing a battered Hammond around.I have a Hammond and old Leslie speaker in the shed but i am just kidding myself.R.I.P.Keith you were the greatest.You showed Hendrix a thing or two.Imagine if you two had got together(as was planned "HELP!!!)
  • Like 5

Don McClean's elegy to Vincent Van Gogh comes to mind...

And when no hope was left in sight

On that starry, starry night

You took your life - as lovers often do

:(

I understand him not wanting to endure a slow, inevitable decline...even though he still had much to give.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I just had to walk away from a conversation with a good friend over this subject. I don't understand why some people feel this moral outrage over suicide. They bring religion and all this other bullshit into it. FIRST of all, if anything really is God's will, let God f***in figure it out and hash it out with Keith's soul, if such a thing even exists.

It's not our place to judge the demons inside another man's(gender neutral) head. Humans are actually hardwired to avoid harm, and especially against harming oneself. It takes an amazing amount of will, despair or mental illness to harm yourself, or end your own life.

If Emerson was indeed on some of these drugs like Lyrica, I can understand what may have happened to him. I was on one of them and it turned me into a zombie. These anti seizure and nerve drugs are dangerous.

And just because your linear, rigid brain works in a certain manner, doesn't mean everyone's does the same way. People who tend to be creative also tend to be rather emotional and often their creativity is an outlet for some sort of mental illness or trauma.

So don't judge people, ever. Well, unless they ate another person, and even then, those people are not exactly doing it for recreation.

Until you've lived in another's head, never judge them, especially when they spent their entire life as something positive and beautiful.

• Like 8

I saw a youtube clip of him dated 1992, entitled 'Rondo'. He wore a patterned leather jacket (with nothing beneath it), and leather trousers, and at one point he jumped on top of his piano and rocked it back and forth, and the next, he'd gotten on the floor, flat on his back, with the piano on top of him, and someone whipped his hat off.

It was absolutely awesome to watch.

• Like 1

another great musician who's adding his skills to the Pantheon of the many that are now rocking the underworld

Why do I seem to have so many friends around the world.

I wish I was rich. I would fly around the world to meet all of you!

If I ever get my ass to Italy we must meet.

Let's see.

I have friends in:

Italy

Ireland

UK

Japan

Brazil

Canada

Shit I know I forgot a few.

I never saw ELP but I did see Carl Palmer. "Tarkus" is my favorite album by them.

This came as a shock this morning....

RIP, Keith. Thank you for so much great music, influencing countless people to play, your crazy on-stage performances, and your sense of humor.

Selfishly...I'm saddened that he and Rick Wakeman never did a project together.

• Like 1

another great musician who's adding his skills to the Pantheon of the many that are now rocking the underworld

Why do I seem to have so many friends around the world.

I wish I was rich. I would fly around the world to meet all of you!

If I ever get my ass to Italy we must meet.

Let's see.

I have friends in:

Italy

Ireland

UK

Japan

Brazil

Canada

Shit I know I forgot a few.

I never saw ELP but I did see Carl Palmer. "Tarkus" is my favorite album by them.

I got to see a lot of their spin offs and solo stuff, including the latest incarnation of Asia last summer and Greg Lake's songs of a lifetime tour, but never saw Keith's band. I also missed the true ELP reunion while I was away at college, but the side projects with Berry and Powell did just rock. Desde La Vida is vintage Keith and Karland Greg would have belted those lyrics in his youth

People who tend to be creative also tend to be rather emotional and often their creativity is an outlet for some sort of mental illness or trauma.

Creativity is "often" an outlet for mental illness or trauma? I have never seen, read or heard anything that would support such a claim.

One could easily argue that highly creative people have "problems" because the rest of us are too slow or repressed to accomodate their genius.

People who tend to be creative also tend to be rather emotional and often their creativity is an outlet for some sort of mental illness or trauma.

Creativity is "often" an outlet for mental illness or trauma? I have never seen, read or heard anything that would support such a claim.

One could easily argue that highly creative people have "problems" because the rest of us are too slow or repressed to accomodate their genius.

firstly, I said often, not always. It's also something you should research. People use art and music as outlets for all sorts of inner turmoil.

As far as genius goes, that's an absurd word to use since it broad brushes. Some.artists do have a certain genius behind them, others have talent, others use art as an outlet. To some it's simply a job and that's how their brain is wired, just like being good at math.

Glad to see people checking this music out (even if it's an unintended consequence.) It's been a huge part of my life for many years but never seemed to translate to newer generations like say Yes or King Crimson or Pink Floyd.

Finally listening to music again. (Whew!) Had a rough night sleeping but when I woke up I had Healing Colors of Sound ( from Day For Night by Spock's Beard) in my head so I pulled it off the shelf and put it on this morning.

That seemed to stir something so I followed it up with The Nice's Swedish Radio Sessions from their first European Tour in 1967. So it's been one thing after another since (no more Emerson though. I'd imagine there will be a time for that.)

As far as the suicide thing goes. After seeing him a few times in the '90s with ELP, it was painful for me to watch him (so I'd can't imagine how it was for him) There was some improvement following some of the surgeries at times and he seemed to be doing better with his band for a time, but something must have regressed.

So I UNDERSTAND why he did it, but I'm still not sure if I'm Ok with that yet. I'm not him though.

• Like 1

[Glad to see people checking this music out (even if it's an unintended consequence.) It's been a huge part of my life for many years but never seemed to translate to newer generations like say Yes or King Crimson or Pink Floyd.]

Hmmmm. I see what you mean to some extent anyway. I would put Genesis in that first group too though. Anyway, ELP sold a lot more albums than King Crimson but KC seem to have some kind of hipster street cred these days that ELP doesn't. I think maybe a lot of people just see ELP as bloated and full of themselves and for that reason can't take them too seriously. It's a shame because they made some great music at one point even if it was a bit over the top but hey that's really what progressive rock was about back then and they were just an extreme example of that. I'm actually not so sure that even YES has translated to the newer generation of prog fans(if there even is such a thing and I suppose there is but they are probably listening to mostly newer stuff anyway). Anyway, it is sad news and also sad that sometimes it takes a tragic event like this for someone to discover an artists music.

Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 3

So wow! Have some of you guys and gals heard of that Rock Action Figure Company called "Knucklebones?" They did a Starman figure twice and also did a lame Neil Peart figure as well.

Well I just realized that I have a very rare Keith Emerson Figure. Just him playing on his organ. Mint and sealed.

I would never sell it. Just saying how happy I am to have it.

Back in the late Seventies my dad knew some big time record executive through his work.

Well one Saturday this executive came over to the house for dinner.

He gave my dad over 100 vinyl records.

So guys I was like fuckking 10 years old.

My mom and dad didn't really care about vinyl. They had their 8 track fetish.

Well I remember being a snooping little kid when it came to music.

I would spend hours and hours going through that vinyl collection.

One album really blew my mind.

It was because of the album cover!

It fukking blew me away! It looked like something from outer space. Alien shit.

Well of course, it was "Brain Salad Surgery!"

I remember trying to open up the tri-cut cover to find the vinyl.

I put that album on and I remember even at ten thinking to myself "What the heck is this insanity?"

I think the Seventies really fuckked me up making me the music addict that I am today.

Music is my heroin. My religion.

If God is real then he has reached me through the man made invention of music.

ELP RULES!!!!

Yep! Ramping again.

We are only mortal for an unlimited time.

It's how you really see reality.

Enlightenment = PROG

• Like 2