Keith Emerson has died

Wil1972

According to TMZ, the death of Keith Emerson is being investigated as a suicide.

Law enforcement sources tell the site the EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER keyboardist had a single gunshot wound to the head when his girlfriend found him in their home in Santa Monica, California.

Emerson had reportedly been suffering from a degenerative nerve disease in his right hand that meant he could only play the keyboards with eight fingers. As a result, he was struggling with depression.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/report-keith-emersons-death-investigated-as-suicide/#trzoAFPFDJEWar6W.99

• Like 3

According to TMZ, the death of Keith Emerson is being investigated as a suicide.

Law enforcement sources tell the site the EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER keyboardist had a single gunshot wound to the head when his girlfriend found him in their home in Santa Monica, California.

Emerson had reportedly been suffering from a degenerative nerve disease in his right hand that meant he could only play the keyboards with eight fingers. As a result, he was struggling with depression.

Read more at http://www.blabbermo...AFPFDJEWar6W.99

Sadder still to watch it die (and not be able to live without it) than never to have known it...... :| :|

• Like 1

RIP Keith. You and LP gave me many hours of musical joy.

We're around the same age - remember when their debut album came out? They really were incredible.

I sure do Lorraine !!!

Remember covering your school books in brown paper bags and drawing all over them ? Well, I was the kid in the early 70's who had bands like ELP, YES and Pink Floyd scribbled on mine. All the other cool kids had Led Zeppelin, Grank Funk Railroad, etc. on their books.

I often wish that I'd have kept my marked up book covers...and the classic PeeChees.

http://midlifecrisishawaii.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Pee-Chee-Doodle2.jpg

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Are you kidding me? I was just listening to the sides two and three of Welcome Back My Friends to the Show that Never Ends, Ladies and Gentlemen... Emerson, Lake, and Palmer (super long album title) (those sides containing the live version of Tarkus, probably my favorite piece by them, plus a few shorter songs) yesterday!!! I mean, this is still happening, George Martin and Keith Emerson, both dead...I wish it would stop. We've lost enough of them for one year, for two years, for maybe even a whole decade. Rest In Peace, to all of them, there must be a great gig in the sky now.
  • Like 4

Playing keyboards must have been the most important thing in his life. If he couldn't do that anymore, he felt he had no more reason to live I guess. That's very tragic.

:(

Now listening to that live album again. Emerson is just unreal. Mike Portnoy got it right when he called him the Jimi Hendrix of keyboards, minus the legions of adoring imitators who found huge success because these are the keys and not the guitar and that's how rock history went.
  • Like 1

Ugh, this one hits hard. As a teen studying classical piano, Keith was my idol at the time. He was one of the few, along with Wakeman, that made keyboards cool. Other rock keyboardists were just like old ladies plunking away at their crappy organ in their living room. I absorbed ELP as a teen, even before getting into Rush. I tried for ages to get sheet music to his Piano Concerto that was part of Works. After getting the complete ELP catalog I remember diving into the used records for old Nice albums. I even remember being one of the faithful few that bought Love Beach and getting a Love Beach tshirt (I know, ugh horrendous album in retrospect).

Keith is the standard for rock keyboardists and the reason why I have such little patience for people calling themselves keyboard players. If you don't have anything close to Keith's chops, just don't bother.

RIP.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 3

Wow, this news is devastating for me. I've been a fan of Keith since the first ELP album, he was always one of my musical heroes. Not to mention I was in love with him during my early teenage years. I'm grateful I saw ELP live twice.

RIP Keith. I hope your pain is now behind you and you are in a better place.

• Like 3

This one is hitting real hard. I remember ABC showing the California Jam and ELP's incredible version of Karn Evil 9, the revolving piano, "The Beast" ( the gigantic Moog modular synthesizer), some of the best live music ever.

Damn.

RIP Keith, you will be sorely missed.

• Like 2

No f***ing way

My sediments exactly I can't fuckingg believe this shite. 2016: THE YEAR OF DEATH.

This is absolutely unreal. Then again one could argue that it's going to get worse from here on out. All of our musicians from the Sixties and Seventies are going to start dying.

Time for some serious "Brain Salad Surgery." FUKK

• Like 2

To get a real understanding of Keith's talent and depth, take a listen to his Piano Concerto from Works. If you don't dig classical, that's fine, just check the first 5 minutes or last 5 minutes.

Very cinematic...could be used for a movie score.

The Neil Peart of keyboards.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet

I was just over at Amazon checking out the prices on ELP's debut album. I was struck by something a reviewer wrote:

"When I first listened to this LP way back in 1970, I was taken aback by the power of this music. "

That's exactly it - their music had power.

To get a real understanding of Keith's talent and depth, take a listen to his Piano Concerto from Works. If you don't dig classical, that's fine, just check the first 5 minutes or last 5 minutes.

Very cinematic...could be used for a movie score.

The Neil Peart of keyboards.

I actually like that. "The Neil Peart Of Keyboards" Sums it all up.

• Like 1