Why is is hard to determine whether they played Lamneth?

zappafrank

Do they boys themselves not remember?

I always imagined they'd be the kind of guys who'd keep meticulous notes of their setlists. Even then, an epic like Lamneth is not exactly a throwaway number, either, "they might have played once." If you play it, I'm guessing you remember the work that went into it.

Do they boys themselves not remember?

I always imagined they'd be the kind of guys who'd keep meticulous notes of their setlists. Even then, an epic like Lamneth is not exactly a throwaway number, either, "they might have played once." If you play it, I'm guessing you remember the work that went into it.

I am guessing the passage of time does that. Seems like they would recall that, since it is such a unique piece. But then again, Ged forgot they played Jacob's Ladder and it was even on a live album!

And I don't suppose anyone has said that they don't remember playing it, we just have no definitive documentation or word from the guys otherwise.

Plus being that period, when they were still unknown and then losing traction due to the failure of CoS, I am sure no one wanted to really remember that tour! I am sure it was a sour tough period for them.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 2

Because you typed, "is is..."

Doesn't that depend on what the definition of 'is' is, though?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AfGm5o6T9V8/UPuCyG_YBTI/AAAAAAAACxA/Nwq3lGSjSBA/s1600/Bill+Clinton.jpg

Heh heh.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 3

It was 40 years ago.

It was a tour they'd rather forget for an album they're not too fond of overall, except for maybe Alex.

Very few people, if any, went to the shows.

The list goes on.

• Like 4

I don't think they played it.

There's a page on setlist.fm for a concert in Massey Hall, Toronto, on January 10, 1976 that says they played the song. The set is listed as

Bastille Day

Fly By Night

Beneath, Between, and Behind

I Think I'm Going Bald

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

In The End

Making Memories

Anthem

The Fountain of Lamneth

Lakeside Park

The Necromancer

Best I Can

In The Mood

Working Man

Finding My Way

Drum Solo

What You're Doing

I have my doubts for several reasons.

First, it not only states that the Fountain was played, but also Making Memories and I Think I'm Going Bald, which were also never played live.

Secondly, there's the length of the set list. The set consists of 15 songs (Combining Working Man/Finding My Way/Drum Solo into one song) which is much more than what Rush usually played around the time. (The Fly By Night tour set consisted of 11 songs, and the 2112 tour set consisted of 10). There's also the set list length. There are 16 songs, and 4 of them (Working Man, By-Tor, Necromancer, Fountain) are over 10 minutes long. (By-Tor and Working Man would reach that length live) Coupling that with all the other songs played, and we get a show approaching two hours, which is much longer than most at the time.

So It likely wasn't played. If anything, they might have played the "Diadects and Narpets" Section in Peart's drum solo, but that's all.

I don't think they played it.

There's a page on setlist.fm for a concert in Massey Hall, Toronto, on January 10, 1976 that says they played the song. The set is listed as

Bastille Day

Fly By Night

Beneath, Between, and Behind

I Think I'm Going Bald

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

In The End

Making Memories

Anthem

The Fountain of Lamneth

Lakeside Park

The Necromancer

Best I Can

In The Mood

Working Man

Finding My Way

Drum Solo

What You're Doing

I have my doubts for several reasons.

First, it not only states that the Fountain was played, but also Making Memories and I Think I'm Going Bald, which were also never played live.

Secondly, there's the length of the set list. The set consists of 15 songs (Combining Working Man/Finding My Way/Drum Solo into one song) which is much more than what Rush usually played around the time. (The Fly By Night tour set consisted of 11 songs, and the 2112 tour set consisted of 10). There's also the set list length. There are 16 songs, and 4 of them (Working Man, By-Tor, Necromancer, Fountain) are over 10 minutes long. (By-Tor and Working Man would reach that length live) Coupling that with all the other songs played, and we get a show approaching two hours, which is much longer than most at the time.

So It likely wasn't played. If anything, they might have played the "Diadects and Narpets" Section in Peart's drum solo, but that's all.

Math is fun !

Also, setlist.fm is user-driven, so it's only as good as the people contributing to it. Just b/c it's up there, it doesn't mean it's right.

I remember hearing about someone went through a bunch of Nickelback setlists and replaced each song with "Shitty song, another shitty song, a song that sounds like the 1st shitty song, a new shitty song," etc.

Well, OK, in the case of NB, the changes WERE right, but you get my point.

• Like 5

This has been something I've been curious about too since I'm a setlist-junkie for bands I love. My honest opinion is that it was never played live, as there has just been no indication that it's ever made an appearance. I doubt it'd be a song they'd only play once, so the lack of any sort of historical record or bootleg just seems like too great a coincidence. It's baffling that they've never played it. Imagine being a young band and releasing your first epic and then never even touching a single part of it live. 2112 became a centerpiece for their tours throughout the late 70's, but Lamneth never got a chance.

We've heard all those bootlegs, only Bastille Day, Lakeside Park and the awesome The Necromancer were played from Cos.

For the record: The Fountain Of Lamneth was never, ever played in full live. Moer's the pity.

Would love to hear "Think I'm Going Bald". Live.

I was at the Massey Hall show in question and while true, The Fountain was not played IN IT'S ENTIRETY, parts of it were played in a different order than the album version.

They headlined this show (with Joe Mendelson's Mainline opening) so there WAS time to fit it in.

This is the first setlist I've seen that correctly states that Bastille Day was the opener that evening (and continued to be the opener for the next few tours as well).

Take Care

Edited by Hear Again
  • Like 4

Thanks for the info. What about Making Memories? Did they play that? I really like it. I feel it would have been a good song for the R40 encore due to it's subject matter. It's hard to pick one from Fly By Night, even the worst songs on it are superb

Thanks for the info. What about Making Memories? Did they play that? I really like it. I feel it would have been a good song for the R40 encore due to it's subject matter. It's hard to pick one from Fly By Night, even the worst songs on it are superb

I don't believe Making Memories was played at the COS show I saw but definitely played at the Rush / Fly By Night headliner they did previous. In fact ALL of FBN was played except for Rivendell.

Would love to hear "Think I'm Going Bald". Live.

I guess I'm lucky because I see it in the mirror every day now for free!

I don't believe Making Memories was played at the COS show I saw but definitely played at the Rush / Fly By Night headliner they did previous. In fact ALL of FBN was played except for Rivendell.

How did it sound? I can't imagine it sounding that good if Alex played to acoustic part on electric or if they skipped the slide guitar solo.