Who could possibly fill Neil's shoes live?

losingit2k

Who could possibly fills Neil's Shoes Live?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who could possibly fills Neil's Shoes Live?

• Mike Portnoy
    • Lars Ulrich
    • Dave Grohl
    • Stewart Copeland
    • Mark Zonder
    • Mike Mangini
    • Thomas Lang
    • Marco Minnemann

Gavin Harrison or Matt Cameron would fit right in like a glove with Geddy and Alex. But it will not be called Rush.

I think a perfect name if they were to do a project without Neil would be:

The Omega Concern

Matt cameron played on my favorite headache if i recall correctly?

Jesus Christ Pose!!!! This thread is ridiculous!!!!

Dave Weckl!! (I know him!)

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Ah....non drummers threads. Some of the guys you listed couldn't pull off the Rush catalog on drums if they tried. Grohl is a fine drummer, but he would struggle with Rush material. Lars.......forget about it. Even Copeland couldn't handle it. He's a great drummer, but he has his own unique(even weird) style. Rush fans would want the drum parts VERY close to what Neil played.
  • Like 1

1 - Don´t call it Rush;

2 - Matt Cameron, as someone already mentioned here, did quite well on Geddy´s solo album, and would be a good fit, although he has a busy schedule;

3 - I voted for Portnoy because he´s even done a Rush tribute already, and would have no time fitting in for the Rush tunes they eventually chose to play; on second thought, Copeland is good friends with Neil, and could get his blessing to carry on with the boys - in a different project though, NOT RUSH!!!

Ah....non drummers threads. Some of the guys you listed couldn't pull off the Rush catalog on drums if they tried. Grohl is a fine drummer, but he would struggle with Rush material. Lars.......forget about it. Even Copeland couldn't handle it. He's a great drummer, but he has his own unique(even weird) style. Rush fans would want the drum parts VERY close to what Neil played.

How about you stick your drums where the sun don't shine, you arrogant t**t?

You've no idea what those drummers could pull off as you are too busy pulling off yourself.

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 1

Filling Neil's shoes live?

I imagine the insides of Neil's shoes would be very damp after playing a 3 hour show. I doubt anyone else would want to put them on after that :unsure:

You've no idea what those drummers could pull off as you are too busy pulling off yourself.

I would expect nothing less than a post like this from you. I didn't mean to come off arrogant, but I have been playing drums for 32 years. I think I have a good idea what drummers could pull off what. It's not a slam on these drummers. It's just that every drummer has their own style and technique and some are not suited to copying certain other players.(Rush fans would expect a very close reproduction of Neil's parts) Personality in playing is what makes music great, but Rush is a whole different ballgame because fans and musicians would hang on every note and every iconic fill.

I would expect nothing less than a post like this from you. I didn't mean to come off arrogant, but I have been playing drums for 32 years. I think I have a good idea what drummers could pull off what. It's not a slam on these drummers. It's just that every drummer has their own style and technique and some are not suited to copying certain other players.(Rush fans would expect a very close reproduction of Neil's parts) Personality in playing is what makes music great, but Rush is a whole different ballgame because fans and musicians would hang on every note and every iconic fill.

Zzzzzzz.

Zzzzzzz.

Good, you seem grumpy. A nap will do you some good.

• Like 1

Zzzzzzz.

Well Gene Krapa there hasn't managed to describe why those drummers couldn't fill Peart's boots so I've drifted off waiting.

• Like 3

So....no one could fill Neil's shoes, not because of lack of skill, but because the fans wouldn't accept it?

Zzzzzzz.

Well Gene Krapa there hasn't managed to describe why those drummers couldn't fill Peart's boots so I've drifted off waiting.

Because they don't have enough technique. There is a simplified answer you might be able to understand.

For crying out loud people, Lars is a sloppy, simplistic player by prog metal standards. Grohl was shaking in his boots at the thought of trying to play YYZ with Rush when Taylor Hawkins sat in with the boys. There are plenty of drummers who would do a fine job, but these two aren't among them. Todd Sucherman of Styx could nail every Rush song in his sleep for one.

Edited by presto123

Zzzzzzz.

Because they don't have enough technique. There is a simplified answer you might be able to understand.

For crying out loud people, Lars is a sloppy, simplistic player by prog metal standards. Grohl was shaking in his boots at the thought of trying to play YYZ with Rush when Taylor Hawkins sat in with the boys. There are plenty of drummers who would do a fine job, but these two aren't among them. Todd Sucherman of Styx could nail every Rush song in his sleep for one.

"people"?

There's that arrogant streak again.

Stuart Copeland not enough "technique"? Um ok...

• Like 1

Zzzzzzz.

"people"?

There's that arrogant streak again.

Stuart Copeland not enough "technique"? Um ok...

Arrogant streak? Coming from you? That's as funny as giving Donald Trump the nuclear codes.

I think there's actually quite a strong chance of this happening but if does, I'm almost certain they won't be calling the band Rush out of respect to Neil. Out of these drummers I'd say Marco Minnemann would be the best fit, could actually imagine that combination being really awesome! Other drummers I could see working well in this role are Simon Phillips, Jimmy Keegan and Todd Sucherman. Edited by Drummerrobin

Dude, what's your problem?? That personal attack was disgraceful. He had some perfectly valid points that you didn't like so you just immediately resorted to bullying. That's like 8 year old behaviour.

• Like 2

Dude, what's your problem?? That personal attack was disgraceful. He had some perfectly valid points that you didn't like so you just immediately resorted to bullying. That's like 8 year old behaviour.

You aren't familiar with Tony R? He's been acting like that for as long as I can remember. Thought maturity would kick in at some point.

I think there's actually quite a strong chance of this happening but if does, I'm almost certain they won't be calling the band Rush out of respect to Neil. Out of these drummers I'd say Marco Minnemann would be the best fit, could actually imagine that combination being really awesome! Other drummers I could see working well in this role are Simon Phillips, Jimmy Keegan and Todd Sucherman.

Great choices.