Who could possibly fill Neil's shoes live?

losingit2k

Who could possibly fills Neil's Shoes Live?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who could possibly fills Neil's Shoes Live?

• Mike Portnoy
    • Lars Ulrich
    • Dave Grohl
    • Stewart Copeland
    • Mark Zonder
    • Mike Mangini
    • Thomas Lang
    • Marco Minnemann

If we're STRICTLY talking about performing live as a session drummer and not as a full band member that writes songs with Geddy and Alex, then Portnoy is the best choice.

Copeland's style is too different, even if it's very good.

Lars is garbage when it comes to keeping time. Hell to the no.

Grohl's a good drummer but more in the Bonham sense rather than Neil. Just wouldn't work.

Zonder, Minneman, and Lang I know little to nothing about.

Mangini's got the same issue here as Copeland, though not quite as mismatched with Neil. I'm gonna say no, though.

• Like 3

Zonder was in Fates Warning for years. Minneman would shred them. Zonder knows ensemble playing but Minneman has psycho jazz chops. I dont know much about Thomas Lang but his youtube clips suggest he is a monster.

What about Gavin Harrison??

Edited by Digital Dad
  • Like 2

Please no .. No familiar faces .. Geddy and Alex need a fresh start with an enthusiastic young drummer

The is nothing exciting or electric about dredging up some drummer that everyone is familiar with -

There is no excitement or inspiration coming from a band of established musicians ... Get some kid in there who is experiencing this for the first time, and that will make Rush interesting again

Please no .. No familiar faces .. Geddy and Alex need a fresh start with an enthusiastic young drummer

The is nothing exciting or electric about dredging up some drummer that everyone is familiar with -

There is no excitement or inspiration coming from a band of established musicians ... Get some kid in there who is experiencing this for the first time, and that will make Rush interesting again

I can understand that. But did that new, young drummer for Smashing Pumpkins actually make them interesting again? [Granted, all the members aren't the original members (aside from Corgan)].

I don't think getting a kid is THE answer. It should just be a drummer that fits the music that Lee & Lifeson write. Whether that drummer is young or old, new or a familiar veteran doesn't matter too much (to me) when it comes down to it.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar enough with all the choices to vote but my guess would be either Portnoy or Minneman. I'm not sure Grohl would be able to handle the more complex parts(just mo).

_I think Mike Portnoy would be a good choice technically,but,big but would long time Rush fans accept him.And also would Alex and Ged get on with him personally.I have heard he is fairly aggressive person.Then I think he would be humbled to play and replace one of his heroes.Then he may get all pig headed and say to those Dreaded Themed bandmates 'hey look I am in Rush'.I look back at when Zep lost Bonzo(I know Neil just retired,Bonzo went upstairs)things would never be the same.

I can understand that. But did that new, young drummer for Smashing Pumpkins actually make them interesting again? [Granted, all the members aren't the original members (aside from Corgan)].

I don't think getting a kid is THE answer. It should just be a drummer that fits the music that Lee & Lifeson write. Whether that drummer is young or old, new or a familiar veteran doesn't matter too much (to me) when it comes down to it.

I did not follow Smashing Pumpkins enough to take note of a new drummer .... But I am a huge fan of Placebo, and when longtime drummer Steven Hewitt left, the band had come to a halt ... They got a kid who was working in a tattoo shop, and he completely reenergized the band - even the jaded Brian Molko said it became fun again, having a guy in the band who was experiencing it all for the first time ..

I would have no interest in what Rush would do with Mike Portnoy .. I can't think of anything more predictable or contrived

Edited by Lucas

I did not follow Smashing Pumpkins enough to take note of a new drummer .... But I am a huge fan of Placebo, and when longtime drummer Steven Hewitt left, the band had come to a halt ... They got a kid who was working in a tattoo shop, and he completely reenergized the band - even the jaded Brian Molko said it became fun again, having a guy in the band who was experiencing it all for the first time ..

I would have no interest in what Rush would do with Mike Portnoy .. I can't think of anything more predictable or contrived

Well, in regards to Smashing Pumpkins... 6-7 years ago, some 19 year old kid replaced the talented Jimmy Chamberlin on drums. If you're not familiar with him, he was in the Rush doc. I saw that new, young drummer (Mike Byrne) at a Pumpkins gig just 2-3 years ago. He was fine, no complaints from me but I can't say he revitalized, re-energized, or re-inspired anyone or anything. In fact, I JUST read a few minutes before posting this that original drummer Chamberlin IS back with Pumpkins as of a month ago. As for the young, former drummer, he moved on to other things in '14.

Again, age clearly isn't everything. I can easily imagine Lee & Lifeson being open to a young drummer. However, I definitely can't imagine them ONLY seeking out young guns and shunning talented old croners (which Geddy & Alex actually ARE) with the hope of being recharged by youth.

I love Chamberlin and I hate the Smashing Pumpkins! Well the first two albums are good.

I saw the "Gish" Tour in SF in some shitty club. EPIC!

Yeah, those two albums are awesome. And yes, Chamberlin is goodness. Haven't seen him live though...yet.

All those guys could play Neil's parts. Hell, many of them could expand on them.

None of those guys are Neil.

Rush without Neil isn't Rush.

Rush is old now. Rush is retired to some extent, possibly all extents.

Everyone get on with their lives already.

Yes, first and foremost, I don't think they would ever replace him and call it "Rush". That would be a travesty.

However, with Geddy itching to keep playing and Alex somewhat in the same boat (at least according to interviews), it would be interesting to see them (together or individually) start a new project with a new drummer.

Let me say, though I am a Dream Theater fan (their new album is an exception...), Portnoy makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Technically fantastic - not really a feel drummer though (not that Neil ever was totally) but Mike tends to lack the taste and creativity in crafting a drum part that Neil always had. Can't stand his constant narcissism either.

An established drummer that would really make me salivate for that situation - Gavin Harrison. (love what he's doing in King Crimson now; doubt he would ever leave that arrangement as long as it continues.)

Marco Minnemann is also one of my current favs - and he has mentioned Rush on occasion, but I doubt he could find the time between The Aristocrats and Joe Satriani (I think his run with Steven Wilson is done.) I also think he is too over the edge for what Ged and Al would write these days. They're not going to do Hemispheresx10 in terms of technical complexity.

A more likely approach than all of that is somebody like Matt Cameron - who played on Geddy's My Favorite Headache. He's quite capable, very unique, creative drummer. Also quite busy with Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. But I would think it would be somebody like that. Not a master technician (Like Minnemann, Mangini, Lang), but somebody who has creative skills and uniqueness to tastefully fit within something that Dirk and Lerxt would be likely to create in 2016 or beyond.

• Like 4

Yes, first and foremost, I don't think they would ever replace him and call it "Rush". That would be a travesty.

However, with Geddy itching to keep playing and Alex somewhat in the same boat (at least according to interviews), it would be interesting to see them (together or individually) start a new project with a new drummer.

Let me say, though I am a Dream Theater fan (their new album is an exception...), Portnoy makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Technically fantastic - not really a feel drummer though (not that Neil ever was totally) but Mike tends to lack the taste and creativity in crafting a drum part that Neil always had. Can't stand his constant narcissism either.

An established drummer that would really make me salivate for that situation - Gavin Harrison. (love what he's doing in King Crimson now; doubt he would ever leave that arrangement as long as it continues.)

Marco Minnemann is also one of my current favs - and he has mentioned Rush on occasion, but I doubt he could find the time between The Aristocrats and Joe Satriani (I think his run with Steven Wilson is done.) I also think he is too over the edge for what Ged and Al would write these days. They're not going to do Hemispheresx10 in terms of technical complexity.

A more likely approach than all of that is somebody like Matt Cameron - who played on Geddy's My Favorite Headache. He's quite capable, very unique, creative drummer. Also quite busy with Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. But I would think it would be somebody like that. Not a master technician (Like Minnemann, Mangini, Lang), but somebody who has creative skills and uniqueness to tastefully fit within something that Dirk and Lerxt would be likely to create in 2016 or beyond.

Well said. Your last sentence about fitting in is what I was saying on the first page of this thread. A drummer that fits the music is more important than anything else...especially since Geddy & Alex would likely write most or all of the music.

• Like 2