Three survey type questions for research purposes

Entre_Perpetuo

Additional statistics questions  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Did 2112 (album and/or song) play a major role in your induction into the Rush fan-base?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you consider yourself a newer Rush fan or an older Rush fan?

• Newer (90s-2000s)
    • Older (70s-80s)
    • Somewhere in the middle (80s-90s)
  3. 3. Which has/had more effect on you, the lyrics and symbols or the music of 2112 (album and/or song)?

• Lyrics and symbols
    • Music
    • Inseperable

WARNING: POSTS OR PORTIONS OF POSTS MADE IN THIS THREAD MAY BE QUOTED BY ENTRE_PERPETUO IN HIS ESSAY FOR SCHOOL. DO NOT POST IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO POSSIBLY BE QUOTED.

So some of you may possibly remember me posting a thread a while back where I considered the idea of trying to get a real interview with Pratt discussing the lyrics of 2112 and their effects on bringing so many people into Rush's fan base. Well, as life got busy and realism set in, that idea kind of fell through, however, I'm still writing an essay on Rush and I'd still like to collect some primary opinions on this stuff. So here's a thread for you to post your answers to a few questions and for everyone to share their stories of getting into Rush.

1. What led you to become a Rush fan?

2. If the album and/or song 2112 played a major role in your induction into the Rush fanbase, how did it do so?

3. What meaning do the lyrics and symbols of 2112 hold for you, or what lack of meaning if there isn't any?

Happy posting, feel free to discuss with others like any other thread.

• Like 1

First. What do I get?

Whatever you normally get by coming to this website and posting about Rush, and possibly your screen name quoted in a 4000 word essay which will be read by a grader somewhere in the world whom I may never meet.

• Like 4

Entre, if you don't get many responses, be careful with me because I am a huge outlier.

I heard of Neil Peart's retirement announcement on Reddit around November of 2015. This provoked some curiosity, so I went digging around Youtube for their music and stumbled upon the videos for Tom Sawyer, Limelight and Subdivisions. Played them a bit, but afterwards I kept seeing mentions of Rush in popular media everywhere; I was into Dream Theater at the time, looking for tenor voices in rock music, and in analyzing James Labrie's vocal range on a forum, I chanced upon Geddy Lee, who as we know has a high singing voice. So I started listening to Rush for the Geddy voice, in search of his highest notes, and in doing so became a fan.

2. If the album and/or song 2112 played a major role in your induction into the Rush fanbase, how did it do so?

It didn't have a very major role in my introduction, but I have to say that it solidified and explained the imagery and politics associated with Rush. I'd been warned that it's a "nerdy prog rock" and "objectivist" band, which I didn't truly understand until i got into the context of 2112.

3. What meaning do the lyrics and symbols of 2112 hold for you, or what lack of meaning if there isn't any?

2112 is a fun song about the dangers of authoritarian governments and about the triumph of the individual over the few that oppress the collective. Typical Randian stuff. The Starman logo is precious, as are the guitar riffs and arrangement of the song. The lyrics are important because, from what I understand, this type of song hadn't really been done before, but I don't place a whole lot of meaning on the plot of the song personally.

• Like 4

Entre, if you don't get many responses, be careful with me because I am a huge outlier.

I heard of Neil Peart's retirement announcement on Reddit around November of 2015. This provoked some curiosity, so I went digging around Youtube for their music and stumbled upon the videos for Tom Sawyer, Limelight and Subdivisions. Played them a bit, but afterwards I kept seeing mentions of Rush in popular media everywhere; I was into Dream Theater at the time, looking for tenor voices in rock music, and in analyzing James Labrie's vocal range on a forum, I chanced upon Geddy Lee, who as we know has a high singing voice. So I started listening to Rush for the Geddy voice, in search of his highest notes, and in doing so became a fan.

It didn't have a very major role in my introduction, but I have to say that it solidified and explained the imagery and politics associated with Rush. I'd been warned that it's a "nerdy prog rock" and "objectivist" band, which I didn't truly understand until i got into the context of 2112.

2112 is a fun song about the dangers of authoritarian governments and about the triumph of the individual over the few that oppress the collective. Typical Randian stuff. The Starman logo is precious, as are the guitar riffs and arrangement of the song. The lyrics are important because, from what I understand, this type of song hadn't really been done before, but I don't place a whole lot of meaning on the plot of the song personally.

You're right, that is totally out of left field! Very cool though, I'm a very young fan myself but I hadn't heard of anyone discovering Rush via Niel's retirement (still hopeful there might be one more album for them, but fully accepting the fact that there will be no more tours). Every story is important, because an entire fan base can't really be explored via the similar stories of the first fans inducted via 2112, even though my paper would appear to be inclined towards them. Conceptual prog-rock suites certainly had been done before just for the record, but not really in such a direct and definitive manner as 2112 (at least, that's my understanding). I will be discussing the effects and influence of Rand on Rush at a point in my essay, so your comment there is also helpful. Thank you! :)

• Like 1

For me, it was the "MTV age" that exposed me to the naked star man band. Today, MTV is nothing what it was. They actually were a music channel before they started this bullshit called "reality TV". It has changed the way people live, act, and consume here in America.

The Buggle's released a song called "Video Killed the Radio Star" which was indeed a prophetic warning for bands or music acts. If you didn't make music videos, then you weren't going to gain popularity very quickly, which is what record companies wanted. Some bands didn't need video though. Metallica didn't really make one until ...And Justice for All, three albums into their career. They're the exception rather the rule. Metallica was my Zeppelin. There's only one.

The era was exciting because I got to see the musicians I'd heard on the radio, and didn't have to travel to do it. So in that sense video was great. Rush wasn't played on the radio back then, at least not where I lived. I could get WMMR from Philadelphia, but from what I recall, they weren't common fare. I was 12 I think. The Police just released Synchronicity. Stevie Wonder was "calling to say I love you". Duran Duran, Men at Work, and believe it or not, Yes, was a big attraction with their album 90215.

Cassette tapes existed. Records were common place. The magic of anticipation just visiting the local Mom and Pop record store was REAL. Rush had just released Grace Under Pressure and I learned about it from a show that appeared on the USA Network. Radio 1990 played Distant Early Warning and The Body Electric. The videos represented the era. Little known at the time, they borrowed imagery and themes from movies and literature. As I watch the video for TBE, I realize they, or the producers were influenced by THX 1138, or at least it seems that way, 'cause they tell kind of the same story. DEW borrowed several themes ranging from Dr. Stranglelove, to the apocalyptic thrillers of the age. At the time, the videos were cheese-ball productions, though they were serious attempts at a quality production. They were what technology was, so to speak. Rush's videos were cheesy but still tried to communicate the lyrical content. Today, their music has stood the test of time, the videos have not.

I had to go back in time to appreciate the earlier music of Rush. The story of 2112 literally meant nothing to me at the time of my exposure. Still really doesn't. In the high school halls, the people who wore flannels and jean jackets, they knew about 2112. Only when I started playing in a band with a drummer who could play Rush, did I get into their earlier discography.

I will say a certain magazine did clue me into a bit about 2112 and its true meaning:

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/YBG%20Starman-fork_zpsg60vqh2m.jpg

Part 1

How Earth got Neil Peart

Ah, it's that time again. Another useless holiday for puny Americans to celebrate, and the time for YBG critics to pull out the red pen of grammatical correction. Created strictly for economic purposes, Valentines day represents the very worst of capitalism and democracy. Love. "Love is all there is" once permeated the airwaves in your country. There was once a television show dedicated to a sailing vessel specializing to the very concept of love. On my home planet of Mongo, we watch this show once a week on TempleVision, The Love Boat. Ready to make another run into the hearts of Yukon Blade Grinder readers, I'm ready to put a dagger in those hearts...just for fun! It's what I do, because I am Ming...and I'm the Merciless!

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/Templevision_ming_zpskirj3rvf.jpg

by

Yukon Blade Grinder

Galactic Guest Journalist

Ming the Merciless

On your planet I'm a fictional character, however I'm real--very real. Little do the people of your galaxy know that my planet, we call it Mongo (your astronomers call it VT3x), is the supreme gem of the Solar Federation. On a more gratuitous, regally submitted information level, it's not often that I honor requests without some form of payment. However, in all galactic candor, I was quite surprised when the editor of thisBlade Grinder left a message for me. Not many people can get a hold of me when I'm visiting Area 51. In fact, it's never happened before. What's even more amazing was the technology used to subvert government security. It's simple, yet ingenious. Crude, basic, and effective. They knew how to phone home the right way.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/device_zpspggd8op7.jpg

The request from this seemingly important media giant was an easy one to fulfill. To say that I relish the opportunity to work for such resourceful and ego-maniacal individuals is an understatement. Anytime someone contacts me on one of these things I'm listening. For a little background, let us revisit the past. Most citizens of your planet know very little about its relationship with the planets Mongo and Megadonia, but let's start at the beginning. In 1947, the desert of New Mexico became a hotbed of interest when our ship crashed. The element 115 gravity amplifier (an eludium pue 36 explosive space modulator as it's known on Mars) experienced a hiccup and the rest is history...or heavily redacted history. A weather balloon came back to earth, or so your government claims. Ha! Actually, it was Mongonian ship carrying a seed designed to save your planet. In it's infancy, our galaxy knew your little experiment of a solar system which planet Earth calls home was in trouble, and in need of a savior. So, we all put our heads together and started the process to lend a helping hand. It was just another seed of hope for your planet, and there have been many seeds in your brief history.

220px-Ted_Lange_Isaac_Washington_The_Love_Boat_1977.JPG

Isaac,

Bartender from The Love Boat &

sower of many seeds

However, the real prize on that ship was the seed that became Neil Ellwood Peart.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/Neil%20Alien_zps22zzbn2p.jpg

But enough about your planet, let me tell you about my stomping and annihilation grounds.

Mongo.

It's located within the same solar system of Megadonia, home of Megadon. We're neighboring planets in fact.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/planets_zpshame9rvh.jpg

For the graybeard Rush fans, Megadon inspires flights of fancy and kick-starts memory trips and lucid daydreams. They recall days and golden Acapulco nights staring at an album cover featuring that supposed symbol of tyranny, then flipping it over to see a camel-toe of epic proportions. Earthlings seem to find that attractive. Certainly a symbol of vitality on your planet, otherwise, why would a person want their tiny seed bearing sacs so visible? Seems obvious. I'm sure he's an accomplished avatar of love on your little planet, but let us continue...to many native Megadonians, that album is the bane of their existence.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/cameltoe_zpsqt08nwwx.jpg

Famous Camel Toes of Earth

My home planet and Megadonia share many of the same features: lush vegetation and forest regions. Our sprawling deserts of ice are home to the best ski slopes in the galaxy. Some lands are inhabited by magical beasts and creatures known to atomize their prey with just a glance. The vast oceans on our planets contain many unknowns, and are dangerous to navigate because of unpredictable weather. We also share a connection that goes beyond topographical and geologic features--political oppression. On my planet, I'm the oppressor. On Megadonia, it's the Elder Race...or it used to be before Rush retired...thank the Gods!

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/Meet%20elder%20race_zpsxy5noxsd.jpg

Yes, the very same group responsible for overthrowing the Priests of Syrinx back in the day. In our worlds, that day is known as "The Invasion of the Noisy and Stinky People", which occurred in the year 2112 (Our solar calendar. It's 1976 for earthlings). I was brought in to take care of the priests of Syrinx after the fall, and also coordinate the transitional rise of the Elder Race. The Priests of Syrinx always get a bad rap. I've not seen one positive article written about them. The National Midnight Sun literally roasted the cloister because of their fixation with computer games and their stance on musical instruments. Now, the planet is crawling with Yngwie Malmsteen clones. Sometimes people don't think about the unintended consequences of their actions.

The Elder Race was a real challenge to placate. Old people tend to that situation themselves, always wanting this or that exactly so. Never satisfied and always complaining. The majority of Priests were banished, however many of them were forced into servitude to the Elder Race, emptying bedpans and transporting them from arts and crafts to their noonday meals. This measure was put into place to ensure a proper dose of humiliation

Since the fall of the Temple, life has been relatively lazy and unproductive for the citizens of Megadon. Stock and trade are way down on the inter-galactic markets. Mining the coveted Sphincterstone has come to a halt since control has been assumed by the old folks. On a good note, farming is still going on with a passion, but it mostly revolves around the usual plants: Nabiscus, Ceasarum Roots, Hyperspedium cracklefluffs, Mezloninnian Pixelpods, and that plant imported from planet Earth known only as Maui Waui. The latter, in all its pungent glory is known to cause its consumers to become apathetic and curiously hungry. Still haven't figured that one out. Perhaps I should indulge my own finicky taste buds. When the Temple fell, most citizens on Megadon seem to enjoy it immensely. The complex requirements of my own tongue have grown tired of honeydew all the time. Sorry, I shall stop my digressions there.

From the picture leading this article, you can see I'm everywhere Templevision broadcasts. We've just replaced Owen Hardy and his moribund gardening broadcasts. Always speaking of nurturing, talking to one's vegetation to make it feel like it has a soul.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/priests%20pink%20podium_zps8qlrn33b.jpg

When Owen brought his guitar in front of the priests it was a sad, sad day for him. Most Rush fans have no clue that poor sap from 2112, sharing his stupid music was actually one Mr. Hardy. Having his dreams go from boom to bust, his guitar reduced to the finest grain of dust. An unintended consequence for barging in on the Priests during ceremonial proceedings. Owen was understandably browbeaten. They didn't mean to hurt his feelings, but he's known for being a bit of a whiner and should have known better. Correct protocol wasn't observed when he approached the council in the first place. You always make an appointment, and you never play "Stairway to Heaven" when you do.

Owen was obviously under the influence of the Maui. Any citizen knows you don't bother the priests when they're doing the budget for Megadon's adolescent indoctrination program. Pretty stressful, invective laden environment. While delving into financial matters that require great concentration, the priests don't want to hear "Listen to my music" while knee deep in red tape. A lot of times light saber duels occur (regularly broadcast on TempleVision I might add) during the process because passions run so deep, and soaring ambitions are consumed in a single desire!

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/Owen%20hardy_zpsthsjxrqr.jpg

Owen Hardy--Guitarist.

Owen Hardy--Protoganist of 2112 and the epic Clockwork Angels

Owen Hardy--Host of Templevision's "Gardening with the Starman".

Owen Hardy--Federation malcontent.

He's lived somewhat of a charmed life since the year 2112. Promoted to galactic hero in the eyes of Solar Federation citizens, yet he didn't want the fame associated with his role as change agent. TempleVision became his new friend, as it allowed him to keep arms length from the citizens of Megadonia, while promoting a grand agenda of his own design. Instead of the soothing voices of the temple priests, guitar lessons three times a day were broadcast with various "experts" from Earth providing insight to the craft. Yngwie Malmsteen will soon exterminated by popular demand.

In an interview with the National Midnight Sun, Owen stated that he was "happy that people enjoy their freedom, but he's just a person stepping in front of authoritarian rule, sharing what he believed so important, so essential to the spirit of Megadonians and Mongopitulators." To deal with the trappings of fame and fortune, he sought out the person who help free his mind, and soul--the Oracle of Megadon. His advice was timeless in a time of great need. "Brother you need to fight the power!" was his mantra, and it was the calling card for years since 2112. Known only as "Flav", the diminutive sage of supernatural wisdom for the common man. The seed that became Neil Peart, comes from Flav the Oracle. "I was more than happy to be the donor ya know. Just took a lil' sumthin' sumthin' and there ya go homes. To all Rush fans with love. Good to the last drop!" That certainly has some Valentine's flair yes?

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/oracle%20of%20megadon_zpsxngsfaew.jpg

Wrong! Fast forward to the present.

Now, times are dark in Rush world.

The band is on permanent hiatus.

Neil is retired, which means one thing on Megadon...

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/Acrimedes_zpscpnqoymr.jpg

The day Neil announced was he was personally finished entertaining his legions of fans, the former priests of Syrinx abandoned the mines of Kreakletonium and resurfaced. Needing to coalesce a plan for the overthrow of the Elder Race, they convened in the Zreeton Caves, outside the metropolis of Megadon. While conducting their tribal ceremony, echos of ecstasy and a cacophony of triumph could be heard for miles in the Canyons of Geigersmeg. So loud were the shouts, it awakened Acrimedes from hibernation. Never in possession of a contented appetite upon arousal from sleep, hell was unleashed with unimpeded ferocity. Not good for the people of the town next to Megadon. Tectertia's entire population, save the house pets, were consumed rather quickly. Acrimedes, in all his alien rage, desecrated the Temple of Carnak by vomiting the remains of his victims on its dome. As the bumper stickers used to say in Tectertia, "Acrimedes>All of us". The smell was awful.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/MAP_zpsbizcfrqu.jpg

Acrimedes is on his way to Megadon to continue the carnage.

Who's left to save the day?

Is it Owen Hardy and his gentle soul?

The Oracle of Megadon?

Is it these guys?

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/Templevision-skaters_zpsbmeeawik.jpg

Rush fans can only hope and pray.

Until the second installment of my Yukon Blade Grinder assignment,

I leave you with this image to savor:

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/Priests%20in%20cave2_zpsjo5bgegf.jpg

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 9

First. What do I get?

Whatever you normally get by coming to this website and posting about Rush, and possibly your screen name quoted in a 4000 word essay which will be read by a grader somewhere in the world whom I may never meet.

well in that case sure
  • Like 1

The uniqueness of the band and their music. I had never heard anything like it before. I had never heard lyrics like that before. For me, they didn't just think outside the box; they destroyed the box.

The music was otherworldly. From the Overture to the Grand Finale, I literally felt like I was on another planet, or at least far, far away from my home. I was hooked from the get-go.

The themes of self-determination, freedom of creativity, and resistance against tyranny were extremely pertinent to me, as I was a teenager living in a repressive, authoritarian family and community. They are still relevant to me today, as freedom and self-determination have defined my life and how I've lived it.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 7

Good luck with your paper! I'm afraid I'm not much help if you are looking for people whose love for the band started with 2112, however.

I am a certain age and was a teenager in the 70's. FM radio and vinyl were everything to us (they had to be, there were only 4 TV stations!); as TM mentioned above, it was exciting just to spend an afternoon in the record store looking at all the great album cover art and new releases. I am from Pittsburgh and WDVE was the huge FM station there, and they gave a lot of play to the "Fly By Night" single. Geddy's voice was unlike anything I had ever heard and I was a fan immediately! :)

Shoot, I'm sorry, but it didn't; I was already a fan!

A. I have always admired the story of the individual standing up for himself against what most would consider an interfering society; I think that part is awesome. I absolutely love the lyrics (and music!) to Discovery/Presentation when the guitar is described; you can tell they are written by someone that loves their music. :)

"See how it sings like a sad heart

And joyously screams out its pain

Sounds that build high like a mountain

Or notes that fall gently, like rain."

And about the power of music-

"Listen to my music

And hear what it can do

There's something here as strong as life

I know that it will reach you."

It's really touching to me how both of those things are described so well.

B. The other meaning 2112 has had for me (maybe you will relate ;) ) is that it has become a connection between myself and my children. My son's college roommate is a huge Rush fan and while my son never paid attention to Rush at home, he did at school. He found the whole concept pretty interesting and it became a neat thing to talk about between us (although he thinks the "naked star child" as he calls him is the ultimate in 1970's cheesiness and very laughable! Sorry, Hugh . . . ) The star man and star symbol never really spoke to me one way or the other. My younger daughter has just become interested in 2112 this year and because she feels like an outsider at times due to health issues she deals with, she identifies with it very much.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 4

Here is what I can offer;

I graduated in 1984, 8 years after the album was released. It was still not unusual to hear of people from different groups (brains, jocks, stoners, metal heads, etc.) that shared one thing in common; they loved to cruise around on weekends and listen to 2112. In fact, many people used quotes from 2112 as yearbook quotes each year. The message is obviously made to order for that age group. That feeling of discovery, that feeling of not being understood by their elders. That feeling of being special and having a great future. Every time I hear the song I'm in high school drinking some beers, hanging out waiting for our lives to begin with a feeling that literally anything was possible.

• Like 4

First. What do I get?

well in that case sure

Not quite as impressive as CygnusGal (our AWOL friend) being quoted in Rolling Stone.

• Like 1

1'st of all, good luck with the paper. That being said, I will give this a shot.

1. What lead me to be a Rush fan??

A. It was a several step process. I grew up in a household where my parents loved classical & opera. My sister liked music from Carole King & Carley Simon & Elton John. My best friend and his family loved country. I was aware of other Rock but since we had only 1 radio it stayed on Opera & Classical (both of which I still like - a lot) and our 1 record player played my sisters music. My folks were not going to by me rock albums and since I lived way out of town on a dirt road I had no real ability to find a record store and spend any $ - not that I had much since I did not get any allowance. Mostly I worked on the farm and plowed through books. Those the folks would get me. So I would just read anything I could get my mits on. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, history books, Robert E. Howard, Sci-Fi, other fantasy. You name it. But lots & lots of history books.

When I got into high school I became much more aware of other rock as I started to make friends with kids who lived further into town and the nearest city. There taste in music was influenced by FM radio & MTV. Actually, where I was living was rural but they lived in, dare I say it, the subdivisions. Once I finally convinced the folks to get me an allowance, I could walk the several miles to town, & catch a bus into the nearest city. There I found record stores. Oh, how wonderfull!!!! As others have mentioned, it was great to start going through them and explore.

Since this was the early to mid 80's you can image the sort of music I suddenly was exposed to!! One day I am listening to the above mentioned music. The next day add in Air Supply, The Fab 4 & Simon & Garfunkel. The next day add in Asia, Men at Work & The Police. The next day add in Reo Speedwagon, Foreigner & Bryan Adams. The next day add in Quiet Riot, Def Leppard, Dio, Iron Maiden, Twisted Sister, VH & Rat. All of these changes basically happened in one summer.

So off to college I went, a big time fan of 80's metal. Got into still more rock - Ozzy, AC / DC, 38 Special, Styx, The Outlaws, The Who, Zepplin, John Cougar, Bruce S. - the list goes on & on.

First I went to a rural 2 year college and then a 4 year college in Rochester NY. There I listened a ton WCMF. That station played a lot of Triumph & Rush. And not, when it came to Rush, just the big hits (TS, Limelight, Closer to the Heart, Spirit of Radio, Freewill). It played New World Man, Subdivisions, FBN, Working Man, Manhattan Project, Marathon, Big Money, Force 10, Under Lock & Key plus Time Stand Still.

So I was getting to like Rush from all the airplay. The I went to a Def Leppard Concert. At the time DL (on the Hysteria tour) was my favorite group. Before the show they played one Rush song over the PA system, then another. I was like "Cool, good stuff". Then they played something I did not recognize but I was like "Man, that was really good." Then another song I did not recognize but really liked and I was like "Those last 2 songs were great! And the vocals so sounded like Geddy Lee of Rush!!" Then another songs - also Rush. Turned out they played all of HYF over the PA system. It just had an incredible richness to the music & lyrics that shocked me. Next day I went out and bought HYF & Power Windows. Both albums blew me away.

After getting those albums I started to collect Rush's work to add to my growing collection. Picked up their first 3 albums. Liked the first 2, strongly disliked CoS. Got Signals & ATWAS (both of which I loved). Picked up ESL which I strongly disliked, Got Perm Waves & liked it. Then AFTK, 2112, Grace Under Pressure, MP and so on. Mind you I was still collecting tons of other music in this period. Judas Priest, Heart, CCR, Savatage, Dokkan, etc, etc, etc.

So I liked Rush a lot. Saw them on Presto & Counterparts and got to like them as one of my favorites but not my favorite. At this point I had no real clear favorite. But I was so impressed with their music and many of Neil's lyrics. Both just had a depth and richness not matched by few if any other bands. Plus an energy rarely matched.

The big step for me was seeing them on the VT tour. Hated the album but the show was out of this world. Made me take another long look and listen to Rush and thats when they really clicked with me. The creativity, the depth of thought plus a wonderful raw energy in songs like 2112 & Something For Nothing.

2. If the song and/or album 2112 played a major role in your induction into the Rush fanbase, how did it do so?

Although its my favorite Rush song, it did not play a major role in my induction into the Rush fanbase. That was done by Subdivisions and the songs from HYF & Power Windows. 2112's role was behind those songs.

3. What meaning do the lyrics & symbols of 2112 hold for you, or what lack of meaning if their isn't any?

They speak to me of the importance of resistance to oppression (e.g any resistance to the govermants of China, Turkey, Russia, Iran, North Korea, & many other dictatorships).

They speak to me of artistic freedom, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, the right to organize and associate freely (such as in envirormentel groups, political parties & unions), equal rights no matter what you gender is and an individuals right to make certain choices for them selves (read abortion - to have or not have) and have it be nobody elses business, even the right to marry (or not marry) who we want to and not who our family has aranged for us to marry. Many of the imigrants in my office are in that boat - including several who were pushed into marrying cousins. Some of the marrages are happy, some are not but they can't get out of them due to family / cultural pressure. The only good thing is that since they are here and not in the old country they are much more able to save there kids from this and there kids are much less likely to accept this and they will assimulate - slowly - over time.

These lyrics speak to me in the same way FDR's 4 Freedoms speech, the UN declaration of Universal Human Rights & Ronald Regans "Tare down this Wall" speech speak of justice & freedom.

We take it for granted that we in North American can voice our discontent with our government and that in many places in the world their is a deal which goes like this "You shut up, accept how we run the country and don't complain about the power that we have, the resulting corruption and we will leave you with some material prosperity". That deal is clearly in the song 2112.

One last thing - and this is explosive but I will say it. And deal with all the hell that gets dumped on me in response latter. Ms. Rand is not somebody who's political ideas match mine. I am a very left leaning Quaker - I will never vote Republican. For me its Green Party or Dem's like Bernie. Yet I take a great deal from the song. A raw driving voice for justice & many freedoms. It is my favorite Rush song. And if some who may be a bit more to the right can enjoy it and take something positive from it, well - perhaps the left and right can somehow come together in some ways and make the world a better place.

So if Neil can take some thing from Ms. Rand and put it into something that I read as being something that is what I want / support in many ways, thats darn amazing. Even more so if it also comes out the same way to sombody else who may not agree with my politics / religion.

Hey, you asked!! Sorry if I offended anybody - I actually removed a lot of comments that I thought would really set folks off.

Hope it helps with the paper.

• Like 3

Didn't answer because I like ALL eras of Rush and that wasn't reflected in the poll.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant which time period did you become a fan in, not which do you like the best.

Love the responses guys, all very interesting stuff. I love to hear all of these stories as well. To speak of record stores for a moment, even though I'm only 17 I do know the thrill and joy of browsing around my local record store for a few hours searching for the perfect albums to spend my hard-earned (birthday/Christmas/etc.) money on. Bliss.
  • Like 3

I heard something off Hemispheres at a friend of mine's house. His big brother played it. My naive ass, knew of Kiss and Led Zep and thought, this is some odd shit. Then Permanent Waves came on the radio and I was hooked. I guess the creativeness even amazed the 11 year old me.

2112 played NO part in me getting into Rush. Honestly never even listened to the LP until well after Moving Pictures had been released.

Heard songs off 2112 Live in concert before I ever gave the LP a spin.

It was only an old LP until then, but I liked it right away.

It's an album about some space stuff, so it's cool. But it has never changed me, or inspired me. Well maybe inspired me to get high back in the day.

I rarely dive that deep into music for life inspiration. But understand some have led their lives by it.

Whatever helps guide you through this crazy world, I salute you.

Edited by Disembodied Spirit
  • Like 1

Well my dad likes Rush so I kinda grew up with them and they've been my favourite band for as long as I can remember really (I'm fifteen now). I really started listening to them a lot when I was eleven though after seeing the Time Machine tour (my second Rush concert).

It didn't really. My dad only had a few albums when i was young. They were Exit... Stage Left, A Show of Hands, Snakes and Arrows, Vapor Trails and Hemispheres if I remember correctly. I remember being given 2112 for one of my birthdays but i can't actually remember being too impressed by the title track :o i think i was more into the the b side. Maybe my young brain wasn't ready for it :LOL: . I do remember liking Geddy's vocals on it though.

I really like the story and the concept behind it. I've always liked concept albums and (although it's more of a concept song) i think that really appeals to me about 2112 and I really love stuff set in distant futures and parallel universes and stuff like that. I do get what Neil is trying to say with his lyrics but i can't say they have any specific meaning to me in all honesty.

Edited by LittleRushmonkey
  • Like 1

Before I get into my answers, you need to understand my background: I grew up in an ultra-conservative, backwoods, Pentacostal Holiness, small town in the middle of the poorest region of South Carolina, next to Savannah River DOE site, during the middle of the cold war. It was a protected and structured white trash environment. Rush, like all rock n roll, was considered "the devil's music", and, as such, we were forbidden to listen. The only rock n roll we were exposed to was when we got cable TV in the late 80s/early 90s and we'd watch MTV when dad was at work, but only then. When I graduated high school and started working a night job I discovered the classic rock n roll stations. I heard all of the classic hits, and loved most of them, but I just ass-u-me d the Rush, and all the great bands, were dead, and we didn't have the internet, yet, so I simply didn't know. My best friend, at work, was into industrial and heavy metal, so that is the music that I ended up buying.

It wasn't until just a few years ago that I was out walking and I discovered the app "Slacker Radio" on my smartphone. It played "subdivisions" and it rocked my world. Then I started listening to more Rush songs and looking up the lyrics online and I was hooked. "Clockwork Angels" means more to me than "2112" because it is my life story. But, I love 2112, because I'm an Ayn Rand fan, and I've read both of her epic novels, "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged", plus many smaller novels and pamphlets.

So, to review: newer fan: 2112 not a major role in my fanhood: I love the lyrics and symbols in 2112, way more than the music.

• Like 1

Didn't answer because I like ALL eras of Rush and that wasn't reflected in the poll.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant which time period did you become a fan in, not which do you like the best.

Sorry about that. The short answer is early '80s. My friends were into them. I resisted for a few years.

2112 happened to be the first album I bought myself because it was the first album I found. Heard everything before that so it wasn't new to me.

That said, it was definitely an influential album lyrically and musically with a direct message that resonates.

• Like 1

Hearing Working Man on WMMS when it first came out. Been hooked ever since.

It didn't. Rush was already my favorite band long before 2112 came out.

No meaning at all. I'm a music guy and the music was great. Nuff said!

• Like 4

ok, here goes

I will preface this by saying I first saw Rush on TV back in 1977-78 ... I was 10 years old, and I was a huge KISS fan at the time .. I also knew, even at that age, that something was amiss with what I was experiencing in school, with what I would see on the news and how the world seemed to be so unlike anything I felt comfortable with ..

It would probably have been much different had I been an adult, or, had I heard Rush for the first time decades later - but thankfully, it all worked out great ..

Geddy's voice .. I loved Geddy and his voice the first time I heard Rush .. I loved the ambiguity of the band - Geddy's voice was neither male nor female, Alex played classical guitar and he played Gibsons thru Marshall amps, and Neil was the maniac rockstar drummer who was usually pictured quietly reading alone - none of this fit neatly into what was the accepted stereotype ... And circa 1977, both Geddy and Alex treaded a fine line in terms of their appearance, coming across as both masculine and feminine - I was a 10 year old kid with long hair who was regularly mistaken for a girl, and endured hellish taunts from older kids, even later on ..... I liked that about Rush - with their appearance, Geddy's otherworldly voice, and their chops - they were excellent musicians - they were a inspiration to me to be myself ..

Yes, absolutely .. this sort of ties in to question #3 ... 2112 was one of the albums I bought early on, after seeing them on TV .. The "Me vs The World" aspect that I picked up on when I first saw them was completely confirmed in 2112, once I was able to fully understand what inspired them to write it ..

2112 was my introduction to Ayn Rand, and when you are a kid who has had feelings of "I am not a part of this" for basically your entire life, it is very profound ..

My parents were constantly being called into my school for the drawings I was doing, the length of my hair, the KISS shirts I was wearing, etc .. I grew up in a very conservative white bread town/community, and with the exception of a few of my friends - ie the tom-boy girl, the lone black kid and the other kid with the long hair - I felt no connection with what I felt was a production line ....

My Mom would drop me off at school, and I can remember as we pulled up to the school's front doors, seeing throngs of kids, I would always be thinking "I don't want to be a part of that" ...

I first read Anthem because of 2112, and I loved it ..

Now, decades later, I realize that those were some of the seeds of inspiration that, along with great parents, lead me to be the person that I have become .... Some of the most important things in my life: volunteer work, compassion and respect for all living things, not to mention a healthy disregard for the mega corrupt world of politics and the medical establishment can be traced all the way back to those formative years ...

I am forever thankful to bands like Rush and KISS for, if nothing else, encouraging a 10 year old kid to go for it, on my terms

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

It was 1980 and my boyfriend at the time played me Permanent Waves, which had recently came out. This was the first time I had heard the band's music and I loved it immediately.

It did not. I started listening to 2112 after I was already a fan and I wanted to hear more of the band's music.

The lyrics and symbols of 2112 are just part of a story to me. As far as the stories contained in lyrics I think 2112 is pretty good, but I don't read any more into it than that. The imagery started out as illustrations to go with that story, but over the years the Starman has come to be a symbol of Rush the band.

I had heard of the album 2112 for a couple years before I ever heard Rush's music due to the Columbia Record House. They had those ads in magazines and newspapers where you could get a number of tapes for a dime or a quarter or whatever it was, and I remember seeing "Rush - 2112" listed in there. I wonder if I would have liked the album then, at that younger age and without the more accessible songs on Permanent Waves to first draw me in?

• Like 3