ATWAS on Vinyl - New to me, first listens blown away

bootlegguy

Hi Guys, just wanted to share this with you. So I've been a Rush fan for about 20 years now. I've purchased all the studio albums and all the commercially available Live material(2002 and later as it's come out, and then slowly collecting older material) and for some reason, maybe because the library is so large I just never got ATWAS. I think it was probably because I thought that album wasn't "needed because of ESL". I still love ESL, but it incredibly polished. Fast forward all these years and I see a Ex Cond copy of the double LP in my record store, having recently got into vinyl. I am blown away by the raw sound of this near 40 year old gem. The only problem is I keep turning it louder and louder. I can't believe what I have been missing out on. So this proves that even after this many years of being a Rush fan I can still find something to peak my interest and love of the band again. This certainly captures an era of the band approaching their creative peak.
  • Like 9

Hearing Rush for the first time (or at least that I was aware of) was ATWAS. Fell in love instantly. So, I too, was blown away upon first listen. I just wish it were on vinyl. My first listen was on cassette on a walkman in a tent on a scout trip some 30 years ago.
  • Like 1

As a musical neophyte, ATWAS was the first Rush album I ever listened to back in 1981, I had no idea who Rush was but I found the record in my sister`s collection and it looked cool....totally blown away by the power and sound of Alex's guitar,my favorite sound to this day. (to be honest I was looking for Crazy Train and thought the band "Rush" looked like they would play that style of music)

Again, I was new to music and the radio........ :P

Edited by Planet X-1

That's the album that got me into Rush. Knew that album backwards and forwards before I ever heard the first 4 studio albums. When I finally got the studio counterparts - they sounded sterile and thin comparatively. To this day I still prefer the live versions

I remember buying the album years ago and listening to it almost constantly. I kind of burned out on it for a long time and even to this day if I sit down and make myself listen to it I love it all over again. Edited by EagleMoon

I remember playing ATWAS to my late brother-in-law(under protest) who was a huge Zeppelin fan .It must have been halfway through 2112 when he declared that ATWAS sh*ts on The Song Remains The Same.This was at the same time Power Windows was released which he loved and he was converted forever though he couldn't believe it was the same band.

ATWAS is just (IMO) wonderful. A very, very, very good live album. Don't know what the guys were thinking when they did ESL which I don't like at all. ASOH is good but not close to ATAS. Only with their next work, Different Stages, in the late 90's did they get back to the level of ATWAS. Rush in Rio was just as good as ATWAS as well. Their subsequent work has been good but starting to be impacted by age.

ATWAS was basically one show (ok a couple of shows at the same venue over a few days), Rush in Rio was one show and Different Stages was 1 show on 1 CD and mostly 2 shows over the other CD's. It just shows that if you are going to make a live album, make it live from 1 show. Don't put it together from multiple shows - like they did on ESL. That (most of the time) does not make a good live album.

Yes - ATWAS is great, although I slightly, very slightly, prefer Rush in Rio.

the rare "By-tore & The Snow Dog" which is every bit as good as By-tor & The Snow Doghttp://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z455/MaxTaurus/E%20rush%20atwas%20label%20side3_zpst6ijvhrs.jpg

Best recording of In The End that has ever surfaced.

It's also my favorite live recording (bootlegs included) up until that point in their career. You can't really say that about most of the other commerical live albums.

Hi Guys, just wanted to share this with you. So I've been a Rush fan for about 20 years now. I've purchased all the studio albums and all the commercially available Live material(2002 and later as it's come out, and then slowly collecting older material) and for some reason, maybe because the library is so large I just never got ATWAS. I think it was probably because I thought that album wasn't "needed because of ESL". I still love ESL, but it incredibly polished. Fast forward all these years and I see a Ex Cond copy of the double LP in my record store, having recently got into vinyl. I am blown away by the raw sound of this near 40 year old gem. The only problem is I keep turning it louder and louder. I can't believe what I have been missing out on. So this proves that even after this many years of being a Rush fan I can still find something to peak my interest and love of the band again. This certainly captures an era of the band approaching their creative peak.

Turning it up,

Louder is never a problem!! :codger: :hail:

Nighthawk..!

-oh ya, you're new to this album. listen for Mike Myers' brother shouting out the name of his band during the end of Bastille Day :)

Edited by MMCXII