Album tours, good or bad?

fraroc

When it's a new album the crowd tends to get restless. That was my experience on the Iron Maiden AMOLAD tour, I was enjoying it but could tell that the crowd was starting to get antsy.

But they did play one or two songs from other albums, didn´t they? That would be ok for me. If it´s only one album and nothing else, especially if it´s a new release, then it´s tough. Like Dream Theater with The Astonishing and Pink Floyd with The Wall.

Yeah IIRC they played 3 non-new songs, the last song + 2 songs in an encore.

• Like 1

When it's a new album the crowd tends to get restless. That was my experience on the Iron Maiden AMOLAD tour, I was enjoying it but could tell that the crowd was starting to get antsy.

But they did play one or two songs from other albums, didn´t they? That would be ok for me. If it´s only one album and nothing else, especially if it´s a new release, then it´s tough. Like Dream Theater with The Astonishing and Pink Floyd with The Wall.

Yeah, Maiden played like five old songs to close out the show after they did all of AMOLAD. Still, it's a lot to ask for people who aren't as diehard as other fans to sit through 75 mins of new music at a live show. Those classics are so ingrained in the fans minds, that sometimes takes a while for that new material to sink in even if you like the album and are listening to it with some regularity.

Another reason I think Dream Theater is doing this wrong is that they released the album at the end of January and just a few weeks later they're on tour in Europe playing all two hours plus of it and nothing else. They aren't giving the fans a chance to absorb and really get to know the new album before seeing it done live. At least wait a couple months before you tour.

That's what was so good about Rush on the CA tour. They didn't play all of the album every night but they played most of it. The album was released in June and then the tour took place over the fall. They at least gave the fans a few months to get to know the new material before the tour started. Which I think can really be helpful when playing all or most of a new album.

• Like 2

Steely Dan recently did an album tour, but rotated the full album played. That's a pretty cool way to do that.

Theyve been doing that for a while now. Yes did 3 albums in one show.

When you're as old as I am, "recently" is a very broad term. :LOL:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/29/15/31B2018700000578-3469579-Smooth_sensation_Kate_Beckinsale_was_no_doubt_determined_to_make-a-18_1456761215543.jpg

In other news, Maiden and dream Theater are about to embark on a new trend in the music business, which may allow bands to profit a bit more: both will release their own video games. I´m not sure this is a proper way to go - Maiden has tried this before with Ed Hunter, and I´m not aware that it was hugely profitable. But maybe this is a subject for another topic...

In other news, Maiden and dream Theater are about to embark on a new trend in the music business, which may allow bands to profit a bit more: both will release their own video games. I´m not sure this is a proper way to go - Maiden has tried this before with Ed Hunter, and I´m not aware that it was hugely profitable. But maybe this is a subject for another topic...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/29/15/31B2018700000578-3469579-Smooth_sensation_Kate_Beckinsale_was_no_doubt_determined_to_make-a-18_1456761215543.jpg

I like the concept as well. I saw Styx on the Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight tour and it was really a fun experience. And of course the Time Machine Tour for MP in full. And I saw Yes when they did The Yes Album/Close to the Edge/Going for the One a few years ago. All good experiences.
  • Like 1

I PREFER new music from artists, however. I'm not content to have Styx cruise on for 13 years without new music. It's my belief that if you're a band your JOB is to make music....not make music to a point and then cruise forever on that finite amount of nostalgia material. I say this because I am a FAN of music and these artists and as a result I crave their creative process. I don't merely crave Pieces Of Eight. There is no expiration date on creativity. There might be a bad album in that mix or even a small slew of them, but that's the risk of creating...and any bad album is worth it over deciding not to make an album at all. So I have little time and even less empathy for the band content to roll down the highway in neutral. I realize making records is not cheap, but in the age of home studios, you really need little more than some space, a lap-top, the right software, someone with a little training, and a place for your fans to buy your music. You don't even need to provide them a hard copy. In many respects it's never been cheaper and easier to get new music out there. Only if you're content on doing it the old way and hunkering down for 8 months with a producer and engineer do you risk running up your costs to where you can claim you can't justify it. But the truth of the matter is that there are many ways to get new music out there today. Edited by Presto-digitation

I PREFER new music from artists, however. I'm not content to have Styx cruise on for 13 years without new music. It's my belief that if you're a band your JOB is to make music....not make music to a point and then cruise forever on that finite amount of nostalgia material. I say this because I am a FAN of music and these artists and as a result I crave their creative process. I don't merely crave Pieces Of Eight. There is no expiration date on creativity. There might be a bad album in that mix or even a small slew of them, but that's the risk of creating...and any bad album is worth it over deciding not to make an album at all. So I have little time and even less empathy for the band content to roll down the highway in neutral. I realize making records is not cheap, but in the age of home studios, you really need little more than some space, a lap-top, the right software, someone with a little training, and a place for your fans to buy your music. You don't even need to provide them a hard copy. In many respects it's never been cheaper and easier to get new music out there. Only if you're content on doing it the old way and hunkering down for 8 months with a producer and engineer do you risk running up your costs to where you can claim you can't justify it. But the truth of the matter is that there are many ways to get new music out there today.

This was an absolutely killer concert. Great album covered live. Perhaps one of the finest concept albums ever IMO

I saw it in Louisville, KY. I think Howard Ungerleider did the lights

220px-Queensryche_-_Operation_Livecrime_cover.jpg

• Like 4

I PREFER new music from artists, however. I'm not content to have Styx cruise on for 13 years without new music. It's my belief that if you're a band your JOB is to make music....not make music to a point and then cruise forever on that finite amount of nostalgia material. I say this because I am a FAN of music and these artists and as a result I crave their creative process. I don't merely crave Pieces Of Eight. There is no expiration date on creativity. There might be a bad album in that mix or even a small slew of them, but that's the risk of creating...and any bad album is worth it over deciding not to make an album at all. So I have little time and even less empathy for the band content to roll down the highway in neutral. I realize making records is not cheap, but in the age of home studios, you really need little more than some space, a lap-top, the right software, someone with a little training, and a place for your fans to buy your music. You don't even need to provide them a hard copy. In many respects it's never been cheaper and easier to get new music out there. Only if you're content on doing it the old way and hunkering down for 8 months with a producer and engineer do you risk running up your costs to where you can claim you can't justify it. But the truth of the matter is that there are many ways to get new music out there today.

Let's be honest, if Styx were to do a new album and is still unwilling to bury the hatchet with DeYoung, it's mostly going to be a JY/Tommy solo effort, which isn't a bad thing seeing as how Tommy and JY's solo albums have great songs on them. Especially JY's Raised By Wolves and City Slicker, which have songs that actually sound like they could be Styx songs.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 2

Styx do not need to fix up anything with DeYoung. That era is dead. So long. Farewell.

Good riddance.

• Like 3

I mainly love album tours when they are associated to concept albums (I actually can't say why, must be something associated to the 'Rock Opera' idea in my brain)

I saw The Who playing Quadrophenia in 2013, Roger Daltrey playing Tommy, Roger Waters' The Wall and Queensryche playing all Operation Mindcrime during Empire tour.

I also enjoyed W.A.S.P. performing The Crimson Idol.

Af all these shows 'Ryche were the best but it was a band in those days at the peak of the game.

• Like 1

I mainly love album tours when they are associated to concept albums (I actually can't say why, must be something associated to the 'Rock Opera' idea in my brain)

I saw The Who playing Quadrophenia in 2013, Roger Daltrey playing Tommy, Roger Waters' The Wall and Queensryche playing all Operation Mindcrime during Empire tour.

I also enjoyed W.A.S.P. performing The Crimson Idol.

Of all these shows 'Ryche were the best but it was a band in those days at the peak of the game.

Let's be honest, if Styx were to do a new album and is still unwilling to bury the hatchet with DeYoung, it's mostly going to be a JY/Tommy solo effort, which isn't a bad thing seeing as how Tommy and JY's solo albums have great songs on them. Especially JY's Raised By Wolves and City Slicker, which have songs that actually sound like they could be Styx songs.

Cyclorama didn't have Dennis and it was a great record. Lawrence Gowan is an accomplished recording artist and should be on more Styx albums.

• Like 1

One thing that shocked me about Rush is that they really haven't played that many songs live compared to what's on the albums. Not even when they were touring to support any particular album!

I don't go to shows much at all, but I do hunt down bootlegs and it's always a good thing when there's multiple live versions of any given song. A band should ideally have performed every song in their catalog that is possible to perform.

As for album tours, it's like Segue said: if it's short enough that it allows for other songs to also be played, I am all for it.

edit: and if it's a concept album or a rock opera, absolutely tour the album in order and in its entirety

Come again?

Waves - 4 out of 6 tunes

Moving Pictures Tour - all except Witch Hunt (and maybe Vital Signs memory is escaping me)

Signals Tour - They played all the songs on that tour except Losing it.

Grace Under Pressure - Played all of them at one time or another on that tour

Power Windows - Played all of of them except Emotion Detector

Hold Your Fire - Played 6 out 10 tunes

Presto - Played 5 out of 10 (and by then their catalog was huge)

Roll The Bones - 5 out of 11

Counterparts - 6 out of 11

Test For Echo - 6 out of 11

Vapor Trails - this album was not well represented (and that was fine by me after a 5 year hiatus because that set list was one of their best)

Snakes and Arrows - well represented

CA - The entire album save for BU2B

Rush imo has always toured their albums strongly and of course being they have such a deep catalog they play a lot of other songs. They have done a very good job over the course of their touring career of playing a ton of songs from their catalog. Especially since the "Evening With" format began on the T4E tour.

Disagree. They played tons of tunes that were vocally able for Geddy starting on the Counterparts Tour. The major complaints always came from fans wanting more 70's material after the band had moved on from that era in the mid 80's and beyond.

The Clockwork Angels tour was amazing for fans of the mid 80's era. We got almost all of Power Windows (with tunes like Grand Designs, Middletown Dreams and Territories which had not been played in forever), Body Electric, Analog Kid etc.....great tour. R40 they killed it in set 2.

Anyway. Rush has never IMO let me down live. When you have 18 plus albums.....you can't play everything....nor do you want to. There are songs that I am sure some fans are pining for that they never even considered for one reason or another.

• Like 9

One thing that shocked me about Rush is that they really haven't played that many songs live compared to what's on the albums. Not even when they were touring to support any particular album!

I don't go to shows much at all, but I do hunt down bootlegs and it's always a good thing when there's multiple live versions of any given song. A band should ideally have performed every song in their catalog that is possible to perform.

As for album tours, it's like Segue said: if it's short enough that it allows for other songs to also be played, I am all for it.

edit: and if it's a concept album or a rock opera, absolutely tour the album in order and in its entirety

Come again?

Waves - 4 out of 6 tunes

Moving Pictures Tour - all except Witch Hunt (and maybe Vital Signs memory is escaping me)

Vapor Trails - this album was not well represented (and that was fine by me after a 5 year hiatus because that set list was one of their best)

Rush imo has always toured their albums strongly and of course being they have such a deep catalog they play a lot of other songs. They have done a very good job over the course of their touring career of playing a ton of songs from their catalog. Especially since the "Evening With" format began on the T4E tour.

Disagree. They played tons of tunes that were vocally able for Geddy starting on the Counterparts Tour. The major complaints always came from fans wanting more 70's material after the band had moved on from that era in the mid 80's and beyond.

The Clockwork Angels tour was amazing for fans of the mid 80's era. We got almost all of Power Windows (with tunes like Grand Designs, Middletown Dreams and Territories which had not been played in forever), Body Electric, Analog Kid etc.....great tour. R40 they killed it in set 2.

Anyway. Rush has never IMO let me down live. When you have 18 plus albums.....you can't play everything....nor do you want to. There are songs that I am sure some fans are pining for that they never even considered for one reason or another.

The band PREFERS to play the newest material. Always been that way
  • Like 3

Come again?

Waves - 4 out of 6 tunes

It should ALWAYS be that way, if you ask me. But I liked Rush how they split their set list for old and new, and we're generous with both.

Megadeth could learn from them...

• Like 2

Come again?

Waves - 4 out of 6 tunes

It should ALWAYS be that way, if you ask me. But I liked Rush how they split their set list for old and new, and we're generous with both.

Kinda blowing me away they are hitting the new stuff hard. SOP for MD though

When Pink Floyd played all of Dark Side Of The Moon in 1994 on the Division Bell tour it was majestic.

Queensryche - 1990 and again when they played OMC and OMC pt 2. It was excellent.

• Like 2

Come again?

Waves - 4 out of 6 tunes

I only have a problem with lots of new songs performed live when hits are cut out of the setlist. Example would be no Spirit Of Radio on the first quarter of the Presto tour and Subdivisions getting cut from the Counterparts and T4E tours.